The oldest memory of F1?

strange title (I couldn't think of another:O_o::D:D)...well, it's simple:

What is the furthest little piece of memory you have about F1? (maybe from when they were children, maybe a crash, maybe a long-awaited victory, maybe on a rainy and boring afternoon they changed the channel and watched some F1)

Personally (I don't want to say my age) the oldest F1 memory I have in my memory is that of a pretty lady (the driver's wife) at the Suzuka pit wall... holding a sign that indicated that her husband was world champion just as he crossed the finish line.:confused: That's it, nothing more, I remember in more detail the feeling of joy that this guy finally achieved it (but I didn't understand why, maybe my father understood it and transmitted the feeling to me). (I was a VERY small child, watching that scene on an old "wooden" TV with my little brothers while we had breakfast)

Asking my father many years later, he told me that in that year (I remember absolutely nothing), I supported the "red car and its NEW German driver" as a deranged extremist fanatic.:D

What I do remember are the subsequent years, of PURE BITTERNESS, divided between supporting the "red car and its German driver" and even a driver named Fontana... and in the end seeing a Canadian take the title away from the "red car". .. then the worst happened (remember that I was a child going to primary school), two years in a row seeing that a Finn and his black car took away the long-awaited championship from "the German guy" (literally, that gray and black car and the Finn for me at that time they were like Darth Vader, they were really to be feared)

until finally the long-awaited first title of the German driver arrived. I was 10 years old, I saw the race in the morning "rebroadcast" on the "old wooden TV" (
In other words, the station recorded the race and broadcast it at another, more convenient time, luckily at that time I didn't even know what the internet was), it was cloudy and I'm very nervous about that damn Finn. ...but in the end it happened, the German won, and I was jumping for joy (my more moderate father, he enjoyed the season more than if one driver or another won)

I had a "generally good" childhood, with a simpler life, and with less internet and no social networks. As the years went by...I obviously matured and started to enjoy F1 and racing more than waiting for ONLY one particular driver to win (you get bitter alone).
(in fact, over the years I began to deeply respect that damn flying Finn, he made the German pilot's victory even sweeter to enjoy)

I suppose that the new generations will experience something similar when LEQLERC obtains the championship from him.

And you, what is his story?

Sin título.jpg

Last edited:
As a small addition, at the national level, I remember supporting, being a small child, even a violet Chevrolet Chevy car with a private letter mail sponsor ;);) and its driver... he was an old smoker... He wasn't afraid to say what was going through his mind at that moment... while he is in front of the camera.. He was a very controversial grumpy old man, dirty on the track... but devilishly fast, he got bored of always winning and retired.
PS: Even today, being very old, he still smokes and swears and is funny on camera. many people still respect him for being "old school." Today no pilot would dare to be like that.

Last edited:
I know that many English-speaking people here watched f1 on ITV, BBC, etc. since they were kids, with the typical f1 FOM logo right at the start of the race..., and maybe the channel put some promotional advertisement about it. the f1 (before starting the race) (there are many of those on youtube).

Well, I just found the advertisement that the channel where I watched F1 in 2000 showed (pay attention to the music)

I indelibly remember that music in my head since I was a child... I only knew it because of that year's TV commercial.

the funny thing is what he says near the end (translated)
(the race was going to be in France, magny cours)
"(...) ...schumacher leads the championship with his impressive Ferrari, but the silver arrows (mclaren's) do not give up..." :D:D:D

What no one knew was that in France, Schumacher was going to break his engine, and in the following races in Austria and Germany he was going to abandon due to crashes in the first corner. and then in Hungary and Belgium they lost to Hakkinen...making the entire championship turn around.

My most cherished memory was Warwick Farm with my Dad and his Mamiya C to see the return of our World Champion Jack Brabham.

brabham1.jpg

brabham2.jpg

P.S.
However my earliest memory as a toddler were from speedways around Sydney including Sydney Showground to see the greatest dirt riders alive Australia vs Great Britain Test series.

Last edited:
This is my earliest memory:

After that Schumi became WC a year later and Germany became F1's capital. I played F1 Grand Prix ... and Grand Prix 2 ... and 3 ... and became the sim racer I am now. :-p
oh no, mate!!! My deepest condolences because that is your first memory... although I did not know about that event many years later... it is ugly to remember how he lost that race (just like Hungary 97 with the Arrows)

(about spa 1998 I barely remember the big accident, I don't remember absolutely anything about what happened between coulthard and schumi... but I do remember hill winning)

speaking of traumas branded in the mind:
(...and continuing with what I mentioned above in the other comment)
(...."What nobody knew was that in France, Schumacher was going to break his engine, and in the following races in Austria and Germany he was going to abandon due to falls in the first corner. and then in Hungary and Belgium they lost to Hakkinen... making the entire championship turn around...")

Yes, I was a child and even so I remember understanding that everything went wrong, and it seemed that Shumi AGAIN would not make it...
and then came Belgium and spa-francochamps year 2000.... being a child I was VERY nervous (he HAD TO WIN)...I was all the time "let's go schumi...GO SCHUMI... GO SCHUMI... .YOU CAN, you can!!!!!!
...and then Hakkinen makes his double overtake on the Kemel straight (on Schumi and Zonta)...with 4 laps to go....
22b86e1609651bb9f3484e140a7e7d97.jpg

mentally destroyed in seconds... :cry::cry:(well, actually it's easy to make a child cry)
(I guess something similar happened to those who wanted Massa to be champion)

thank god, after that came monza, indy, and suzuka...

My most cherished memory was Warwick Farm with my Dad and his Mamiya C to see the return of our World Champion Jack Brabham.

View attachment 715184

View attachment 715185

P.S.
However my earliest memory as a toddler were from speedways around Sydney including Sydney Showground to see the greatest dirt riders alive Australia vs Great Britain Test series.
these are your photos? They are very good!!!!...in fact it seems that the car is on a small jump...what a good memory...

My introduction to F1 was probably around age 9; I collected Matchbox cars and my favorite was the Ferrari 156 "Sharknose". Earliest memory of "real" F1 is watching part of a race on ABCs Wide World of Sports, ca. 1966. (A long running show hated even by its fans; in a two hour program they would try to cover three or four events, so you would get a few minutes of an auto race then a few minutes of figure skating, a few minutes of the International Curling Championship, and back to the auto race.) Hard to believe but coverage of F1 in the US was even worse back then than today.

Didn't see an F1 race in its entirety until the '80's, by which time I'd actually driven some F1 cars.

another similar question would be
WHAT WERE YOU DOING, WHERE WERE YOU OR WHAT HAPPENED WHEN SOME "specific" F1 RACE HAPPENED?

oh yes I forgot (I'm starting to notice that I forget a lot... I'll have to remember to go to the neurologist)... I mentioned it in the thread about "what are you listening to?"... when I was a kid, the channel played its own music before starting the race as an "intro" of the program (and it is not the video that is above... that one came years later when they changed stations)... originally they played this music before starting:

more memories:
the races in Argentina...I only remember that on the local channel they only talked about fontana, tuero or mazacane and reporters in the pits...(I live a few kilometers from the circuit where they raced...and even today when the cars race there ... you can hear the noise for miles...(the sound can be heard all the way to my house).... but unfortunately, being a boy I don't remember the v10... it would have been nice to remember what 22 cars sounded like live)

I already mentioned Spa 1998 (above), I remember Suzuka 1998...when Shumi broke the wheel, at that moment I was watching the race and my father explained to me that that was it, that we would have to wait another year.

From 1999 I remember Barichello in Stewart... I saw the Schumi crash live in Silverstone... and seeing that they covered it with blankets so that no one would see anything... I thought it was something VERY VERY serious. I don't remember Mika Salo as a replacement for schumi (curious). I don't remember irvine being so close to the championship. ...it's strange I remember more about 1998 than 1999.

From 2000 I remember almost everything (almost in 4K HD)... especially Monaco Sunday (when Schumi breaks the car's suspension and Coulthard wins)... because that day (and France too) my parents took me to visit a relative. that I don't even know (nor did I care at that time)... and I missed the race (I heard the result on the radio):mad::mad::mad:

That year (I was 8 years old) I got seriously ill and I think because I got hooked on the start of the season and how the entire championship unfolded, it became vividly trapped in my memory.

From 2001, incredibly, I ONLY remember a pitstop by a certain "Alonso" in Malaysia (he hated him for replacing Mazzacane), and Burti's crash in Spa. nothing else. (oh yes, and Hakkinen breaking the engine in Spain with one lap left... it was the first time I admitted that I was sad for him and that he deserved it:(... and from then on I started to respect him more.)

As the years go by, I don't know why but I have fewer memories about specific races... I only know that I remember that some Montoya, Raikonen, Alonso, Button appeared... but I don't know when or where... I only remember that the races They were kind of boring.
Austria 2002 and the "fixed" ending...almost nothing. I started to lose interest when it was 2004 (maybe???)
indianapolis 2005 I don't even remember it... in 2006 I only remember the end of Suzuka (vividly, they suddenly focus on Schumi with the car smoking... a pain!!!:(:(:( I got up, turned off the TV and left.)

Last edited:
As I had more friends at school, and more responsibilities, I only followed F1 from 2007 and 2008 "from afar."
(I only know from 2007 that I didn't celebrate Raikonen winning his championship, and the deep relief that a certain Hamilton got stuck in China at the pit entrance).
and of course from 2008 I only remember one thing: brazil 2008.
I only remember (I remember) I supported Massa as Schumi's "successor"...nothing more. (between my country and Brazil there is a certain rivalry... but as a child I told myself "at least he is the lesser of two evils")
...I remember that I understood that Massa should win and Hamilton should not finish close to him.... I was standing alone in the living room of my house, my father who had already seen a lot of F1 was no longer there. (it's cloudy and very cold outside). The race finished, Massa crossed the finish line and I held my breath waiting... (luckily here in my country the race announcers were VERY GOOD at explaining Hamilton's situation and his score and that's why they didn't shout or celebrate that Massa "win") and when Hamilton goes to GLOCK (I didn't see it, I didn't notice it on the screen) the VERY attentive reporters reported the event...so I didn't have a "celebration interrupted" by Massa, I understood right away that Hamilton was going to his championship. I finished the race...I saw the podium and Massa crying....
...I turned off the TV...and I didn't watch a full F1 race again until the first one in 2019.

It happened that in my country they didn't broadcast f1 anymore for free. In 2009 it was all through paid channels. Besides, I no longer recognized ANYONE... there was no Schumi, Hakkinen, not even JORDAN, BENETON, or MINARDI, ...unknown drivers began to appear who were only there for one or two races to be replaced by others... and very rare teams that barely lasted 1 year and then disappeared.
Something especially unpleasant for me was that F1 (the paints on the cars, the drivers' suits were more "corporate", more "business", and the designs were more "minimalist" and less colorful) (see the photo below )

00 F1 2000 real season 2.jpg

Then I found out that the cars became "thin" (compared to those of 2008, those of 2009 onwards were thinner and longer) that the kers, the drs existed... I really disliked them, but luckily I didn't look at f1 anymore. (I didn't find out about BRAWN GP until years later).

about 2010 to 2014 just because someone told me I found out that a young man and his energy drink brand car won 3 championships ("oh yeah?" I said)... already in 2015 I just found out that they changed the engines (in Then I searched the internet for the "modern 21st century sound of f1s"... it made me gag)
I didn't know anything about Hamilton or Rosberg between 2015 and 2017...

...in 2018
I noticed that the cars were nicer, they were wider, with even wider tires (with the ugly halo, which made me recoil)...and at the end of 2018 I found out that for next year they would have the rear wing would be even wider... that veteran pilots like Alonso and others would no longer be there... that a guy from Monaco called Leclerc would replace Raikonen... I said "ok it's time to go back"

2019 was my first season since 2008!!!, I invited my father (who was already older to see it, I explained all the changes to him and he got hooked too)
of course I remember a lot from 2019 to 2023...
but I highlight from my "restart" BAREIN 2019... I understood that Leclerc was about to win for the first time in Ferrari... until the electrical unit of his car broke.... (although he made it to the podium )
We saw it on live TV and the sadness was tremendous!!!!! (due to the schedule, it was our turn during lunch!!!)...

And you?.. what is your story?

The oldest memory of F1 for me was Silverstone 1992. My first live F1 race. It was a damp qualifying session and all the drivers hid inside Garage, waiting for track to dry. A young German Rookie named Michale Schumacher got in his Benetton Ford and did fast laps in heavy rain. The water spray went so high abouve the car. I could see there and then this man was fearless and something speashial for the future.

the oldest memory of f1 for me was interlagos 2008 when my hero massa near to win championship i rember it watched on small tv with my family and when he checked flag i was happy but lewis overtoke glock i was happy with ferrari cause they think massa won championship but when lewis won i was angry and i still rember it
my second oldest memory of f1 for me was hungaroring 2009 when my hero made a biggest crash in qualification i was worried about him back to the day but after few days i checked news and its ok
(sorry for my bad english but i try to explain this with simple words)

Last edited:
1992 at Kyalami. Parents kept telling me to wave at the camera when it's pointing at us. Also remember it was all about Mansell before the race. As it turns out, so was the race - and the season.

The first symptoms of my Motorsports disease occurred in 1970 when my Dad took me to the Indy 500. The winner of the race was Al Unser and his Johnny Lightning Special left me with a strong memory of the event. I was hooked.
2012818_D90_1699.jpg

As a result of the 1970 event, I started to draw racing cars and following every Indy 500. In addition, started to collect and play with Corgi F1 and Indy cars. My favorite childhood toys. Boy I wish I still had more than the Hesketh Corgi car left.
Screenshot 2024-02-18 095005.jpg

While following the Indy 500, I became interested in Mario Andretti's F1 career. I always thought it was cool how he went back and forth to Monaco during the month of May at Indy. This led to watching the few F1 races covered on the Wide World of Sport.
Screenshot 2024-02-18 100327.jpg

The first race I attended was the 1982 Detroit Grand Prix. When the race was announced, I was very excited to see my favorite driver, Gilles Villeneuve. Unfortunately, he died before the race weekend in Detroit. My friend's dad drove us from Columbus, Ohio and we parked the RV directly next to the track on Friday night. Nobody was in sight when we arrived, and we never paid a penny all weekend. Even though we had no tickets, we were able to walk around the track, go into the paddock, and attend the Saturday night F1 party in the Detroit Renaissance Center. The first year for F1 in Detroit was crazy unorganized.

cr9gdowspyl41.jpg

1982 Detroit Grand Prix

A couple years later, I took my first terrible Motorsports photograph. However, this event started a lifelong passion with motorsports photography.
Scan_0009_05-01-20110012-Edit-3.jpg

During the early 1980's, I also attended my first race at Mod-Ohio, my home racetrack. Thats me in the photo. Years later, I would become a photographer for the track and Motorsports.com.
Scan_0003_05-23-2011_0025.jpg

During the 1980's, I earned my engineering degrees and started my career in the auto industry working on Aerodynamics and Aero-Acoustics. It's now over 35 years in the auto industry and I am still enjoying following motorsports, engineering, photography, and sim racing.

20181019_D500_2341.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back