1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The longest word in the world. 3 hours plus to say out loud.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hampus Andersson, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado
    Premium Member

Well, if you are calling that a word, then it is not the longest. There are bigger proteins that you can name equally, or even worse, you can also recite a full chromosome, which encodes the proteins at 3 bases per aminoacid + stops + non-expressed sequences, probably several years talking.
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_English
  3. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium Member

Longest word is not "car" in German if you want to include all the equipment?

5. Yea i read that, it did not say it was not a word so i posted it until they can decide.
    Right now it does seem to be one.
  6. People sometimes ask whether a DNA string can be considered as the longest English word, given that they can run to many thousands of letters. The answer is no: they're regarded as chemical names rather than genuine words in the sense of meaningful items of vocabulary. The same is true of the formal names of chemical compounds. These can be almost unlimited in length (for example, aminoheptafluorocyclotetraphosphonitrile, 40 letters) and many contain numerals, Roman and Greek letters, and other symbols, as well as ordinary letters. We don't tend to regard these terms as proper 'words'.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Should have quoted that, someone might mistake it for being you.

It seems it depends on what you consider a word. Hence why it´s still there in Wiki and still talked about in that sense.

Also seems Oxford Dictionairy is not without criticism either,

8. Indeed, it is very often that I refer to myself as 'we'
  9. A quote is a quote and should be treated as such, regardless of we you me that it etc etc.
  10. Shame you didn't think to write that in your original reply.

In any case, thank you for the correction, I shall commence intense self-flagellation immediately.
  11. So now i´m psychic and should have looked into my crystal ball before you posted in the thread?

There no correction that has been made, it´s obvious from what we have gathered that it´s not really black and white as i pointed out in my third post,
  12. Not really sure what you're on about here. I simply meant that you should have posted that second, sensible reason for me having to add quotes in your first reply, instead of a pointless jab.

It's black and white enough for me. I don't presume I know what a word is better than the OED people. Don't care too much about it anyway.
  13. So what you are saying is that in my first post i should inform everyone to quote properly?

This i should have written in my first post without knowing that anyone would actually not do it?

Now where did i put my crystal ball..
    • Like Like x 1
  14. You are a pesky one, aren't you.

No, here, let's try again:
    In your first reply. Reply.
    I have omitted 'to me', yes, but thought it was clear. Especially with the 'instead of', which means you've posted something else about it already. My apologies.
    • Like Like x 1