The Big RACE Freeze Thread

I have a really old computer by now with an ATI X800Pro graphics. I have never had any BIG problems at all, not even with the latest patch.
But I do encounter some lag sometimes, from time to time, more or less. Worst case a few days ago, online, was totally unplayable. But I managed to press Ctrl-Alt-Tab, and voilá CPU usage 100%!!! svchost.exe got all the attention! I have turned off the automatic updates, but didn't think it was harmful to leave it like "check for updates but don't download...". Guess not, or otherwise there is something else going on.
Does Steam got anything to do with svchost.exe to do? Or the game, in some strange way?

I've got a lot of graphical problem, the screen freeze and when the game come back I can see this kind of things :
PB graphique.jpg

It seems that images are replaced by other one.

Sometime, the screen stay freeze and I have to shut down the computer.

I have got this computer :
- Asus P5Q
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3GHz
- Ram 2x1Go DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400
- Seagate 500Go 7200tr
- NVidia GF 9800GT - 512Mo
- Antec NSK4480B (380W)

If someone could help me.

That is exactly what was happening to me, but the degree that the graphics is scrambled depends how long the freeze lasts. I used to shut down the PC after a freeze of about 15 secs, but I have found that sometimes they can last for up to 45 secs, then the PC unfreezes, I could exit the game, re-load it, and it would work fine again and not freeze for another couple of days.

Based on advice I got from another forum, I have rolled back to an earlier NVidea Graphics driver (178.24) and since then, I haven't had a freeze. The problem has been so random that I'm not confident that it is a permanent fix yet.

BTW: My PC / Video Card specs are very similar to yours.

Experienced 2 freezes so far on new system, never had any on my old one.

Old:

P5B deluxe
E6600
Ati 3870

New:
P6T Deluxe
I920
GTX285
Corsaid Dominator

When it freezes picture stops, sound comes back after a few but have to reset PC.

Must be something that is checking for updates indeed me thinks so gonan disable steam updates ..all other progs live checking for data are disabled.

Hello Warren,

do you have some good news since the earlier NVidea Graphics driver re-installed ?

So far so good. I rolled back to the older driver about 3 weeks ago, and haven't had a freeze yet.
I am also doing something else differently, but I doubt it has anything to do with it, but:
Whenever I load up Race 07, I always wait for that silly advertisement to show in the menu, before progressing further. I have noticed that sometimes it can take a minute or three depending on internet speed. Probably a red herring but I no longer risk it.

I wont say the older driver has solved the problem yet, but so far, it looks promising.

• Alex Guehennec

So far so good. I rolled back to the older driver about 3 weeks ago, and haven't had a freeze yet.
I am also doing something else differently, but I doubt it has anything to do with it, but:
Whenever I load up Race 07, I always wait for that silly advertisement to show in the menu, before progressing further. I have noticed that sometimes it can take a minute or three depending on internet speed. Probably a red herring but I no longer risk it.

I wont say the older driver has solved the problem yet, but so far, it looks promising.

Cool for Sebastien, some weeks he has this problem and nobody could solve it

My Race07 freezes just about every time. Mainly though within the first few laps of praccy. Screen goes black and come right after about 5 secs. However, when doing this online it ends up with my car still be visible (and hitable). This happened in a kyalami race, screen went black, when it came right i had taken out half the field :(
Hope it does get sorted out soon though

• phel21

My computer crashes on replays in a particular situation. On Monza07, in TV-Cam-view when the car in focus disappear half way round "curva grande" ... poof ... every time with any car/class.

Hmm, I have very similar specs to you guys, including the 178.24 drivers, but I get full lockups, requiring resets. No partial freezes for me. I'll try disabling the Steam update to see if that has any effect.

E8400
GeForce 9800 GTX+
Nvidia Driver 178.24

Hmm, I have very similar specs to you guys, including the 178.24 drivers, but I get full lockups, requiring resets. No partial freezes for me. I'll try disabling the Steam update to see if that has any effect.

E8400
GeForce 9800 GTX+
Nvidia Driver 178.24

Which virus scanner do you use?
I have CA (at the moment) and I block it from accessing my Steam and My Documents/Simbin folders (eg. for such things as on demand checks etc)

Ok, forget my solution. I just had another massive freeze and graphics corruption whilst practicing off line. Exited Race 07, reloaded it again and all went fine again. I checked during the freeze (which lasted about 45 secs) for significant HD or router activity, and there was virtually none.
So the older graphics driver is not a solution either. :noidea:
Grrrrrrr!!!!This is the most frustrating problem to solve. Totally random, except it only happens with GTRE. :pissed-off: :at-wits-end: :yield: :smash:

I disabled the in-game steam community options, and all the options related to friends, and for 3 weeks now i did not had freezing, before i had freezes almost every occasion i started the game. Not a big hope, but maybe you can try. Steam, File, Settings, Friends and In-Game page.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.