The Big RACE Freeze Thread

setting the page file is important as is sizing it like mentioned above although in my personal experience it is best to set both the minimum and maximum size to the RAMx2 size. doing this will mean that the file will never be able to fragment. If you do a clean install always do this step as soon as you have installed windows. Doing so will ensure that the file never becomes fragmented and that it resides at the start of the drive which is faster to access.

It will also help if you have games installed to a different drive to your windows system and page files. This will allow your game to get as close as possible to full read speed/bandwidth for texture swapping when its required and will speed up your load times if your comp does other things in the background while you play.

Thanks - I'm at work now but I'll try some of these things.

The thing I don't understand is why it will run absolutely without problem or any slowdown in single player mode, even with 30 cars on the track and medium to high graphics settings and I can run race after race yet it freezes almost instantly when I start a multiplayer online game.

Is there something specific that my pc is not liking that only occurs in a multiplayer online game or is it just that much more memory intensive?

For many functions Windows actually defaults to using Page space over RAM. It might be that some of the extra services you need for multiplayer (networking etc) might be using page. You said in your first post it happens in other games too but did not specify if they only encounter problems online or not.

Try out the pagefile setup as above since you need that sorting regardless of your fault and let us know how you get one and we can explore some other possibilities.

Good advice from the guys :) If you haven't already done it, check for new drivers for your whole system, especially the sound card and network card.

Just wondering, how long have you had this install of Windows running? If its 1 year+. it might be worth biting the bullet and re-installing.

Good advice from the guys :) If you haven't already done it, check for new drivers for your whole system, especially the sound card and network card.

Just wondering, how long have you had this install of Windows running? If its 1 year+. it might be worth biting the bullet and re-installing.

A long, long time. Years - I'm thinking of doing this anyway. Need to order another windows cd though, misplaced my original.

If you originally bought your computer as a built system it may have a COA sticker with the Key on it. If it has I think its possible to borrow a disk and use the key, worth double checking on the interweb though.

Thanks - I'm at work now but I'll try some of these things.

The thing I don't understand is why it will run absolutely without problem or any slowdown in single player mode, even with 30 cars on the track and medium to high graphics settings and I can run race after race yet it freezes almost instantly when I start a multiplayer online game.

Is there something specific that my pc is not liking that only occurs in a multiplayer online game or is it just that much more memory intensive?

It could be a number of things allready mentioned in this thread, malware is one of them, try out all the things on here as am sure you will, I think we have all pretty much mentioned everything we can to help you anyway :)

Good Luck.

Thanks all, been working through these.

It has happened a couple times now playing GTL in single player mode after a couple of hours playing. The last time it happened I opened up the case and it seemed quite warm so I checked the fan covers and the exit for the graphics cards was covered in a thick dust/fuzz combo. That can't have been good for cooling. I'm guessing that the cards overheating could have had something to do with it?

Thanks all, been working through these.

It has happened a couple times now playing GTL in single player mode after a couple of hours playing. The last time it happened I opened up the case and it seemed quite warm so I checked the fan covers and the exit for the graphics cards was covered in a thick dust/fuzz combo. That can't have been good for cooling. I'm guessing that the cards overheating could have had something to do with it?

It could yes, it's possible because of the dust your video card has become damaged,( had to deal with that one a few times ) so it would be good to check another video card in your system if possible, as that could be the source of your problem.

To monitor your temps use HWMonitor, leave it running and go play a game for 30 minutes, then go back to HWMonitor and see what the max temp is for your video card and the rest of your hardware. Ideally it don't really want to be going over 75C.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Spec is ok, Opteron 144, 2 gigs ram, 7800GT. I have lots of fans and cooling doesnt seem to be an issue, especially as it does not seem to vary in accordance with how long I have been playing or even had the pc switched on. I have updated to the latest nvidia drivers and many others in between with no luck:good:

Hey, I also had an opteron 144 in the past. It was the best processor which I had for the overclocking. It held a fsb of 305 MHZ with the stock fan. You would not have overclocked it too much :)?

Well I just managed to play about 5-6mins of qualifying on Evo with no problems. Max gfx card gpu core temp is 61 degrees C.

Graphics on the lowest possible settings, 640x, no AA, 16 bit...

Just to add to that, just completed an 11 lap race of the Le Mans circuit on GT Legends with 36 cars on track and it hit 66 degrees C with no problems..

• Ingo Voellinger

61° is a normal temperature, my 8800gt goes over 70°!
I had some freezes in gtr evo too.
I think tabbing out of the game before the race could have caused them but i am not sure.
Try restarting your pc before you start the game and close antivir.

Anybody hear anything new on the freezes/lockups? I just got the game a couple of weeks ago, and am getting regular hard lockups requiring a Reset.

This in a newly build pc with the following specs:

E8400 CPU @ 3.0 Ghz
4.00 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ w/ 178.24 drivers

I have had no freezes since upgrading to a 9800GTX until last week, when I had 2 and both times when I got task manager up it showed Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool had started and was using 98% processor, once I ended this process game was fine.

It`s worth checking next time.

Always get freeze and the game stops responding in between races, specifically when i have won a race and the trophy shows. i click continue and then have to gp into task manager and manually end task.
frustrating.

Specs
Win7
nvidia gtx260
amd phenom 9850
No other problems with steam games whatsoever

Interesting comments - a couple of questions, if I could:

1) What is the Malicious Software Removal Tool called? How does it appear in Task Manager?

2) How do I access the "Scheduled Scans" - I'm not familiar with that, other than what's in my antivirus program scheduler.

Thanks in advance.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea