• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Textures Problem - please help.

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by FerrariMan96, Jun 30, 2010.

1. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96

Ratings:
    +134
    Hi everyone!

I was just making a few basic rumble strip textures but when I load rfactor they are all grayed-out and have black lines on them. They look fine in BTB Pro. So - what did i do?

-I made the textures in GIMP (like Photoshop but free) and saved them as a dds using the dds plugin.

-I imported them into BTB via xpacker (along with a few objects - but that can't be the problem, can it?) and put them under the 'materials' section.

-Did a bit of tweaking - rf material name etc.

-Made a basic "test track" in BTB.

-Exported to rfactor.

Did I do something wrong?

FM96

BTW Check pics to see problem. I have 1 of BTB and a few of rfactor.

Attached Files:

2. R Soul

R Soul

Ratings:
    +190
    I've never had that problem, but I do use gimp, so here are the settings I'd use for saving a kerb texture:
    Compression: DXT1
    Generate mipmaps: True
    Advanced: Mipmap filter: Nearest (helps when the texture can be seen from afar).

Does your material use bump and/or specular maps? Are they scaled differently to the diffuse map? I can't think of anything else - perhaps you could provide more info?

3. Gerda 3

Gerda 3

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you set the graphic-details to "high" in rfactor?

4. Alex Kyriak

Alex Kyriak

Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe the bump or specular map is tiled differently to the texture?

5. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96

Ratings:
    +134
    I A lot of this stuff bamboozles me (bit of a noob)
    Would you like me to zip and pm you the track pictured (it's only small - unzipped it's less than 4.5 mb in rfactor).

I could also pm you the actual project (i.e. before exporting).

BTW, texture details are set to full, however as i only use a laptop a few things i find 'less important' are set to 'medium'. see attached pic. also, in rf config i am set to dx9

6. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96

Ratings:
    +134
    Oh - here's the attachment:

Attached Files:

7. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96

Ratings:
    +134
    Nevermind - i figured it out. Except that i don't know what fixed it!?!?!?!?

What would be more likely:

1. I used R Soul's dds export settings (it took me awhile to realise that there was an advanced tab in gimp)

2. My textures weren't square. They were 128x256 and i assumed that was ok as both were powers of 2. I changed them to a 256x256 square and now they work!

Does anyone know which of these is more likely? (so i know in the future)

Thx for all of your help!

FM96

8. R Soul

R Soul

Ratings:
    +190
    There's nothing wrong with rectangular textures, so I think 1 is the most likely. But I'm biased.

9. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96

Ratings:
    +134
    Lol. Everyone has to be right :)

10. Gerda 3

Gerda 3

Ratings:
    +0
    Set the circuit details to full and the texture filter higher...!?