Telemetry Guide?

Hi there, there is a guide that explain how to read telemetry to use it for set-up the car? Because i've understand what telemetry say, but not how to use that data for setup the car properly.

Sorry for my bad english, hope someone can answer me!

I looked for that too, but didn't find it. I know how to read the data, but i don't really understand what should i do once i have done that. Can anyone help?

It is all quite complicated to explain in a single forum post, and even after that, driver feel has a big impact on setup.

Start with tyre temps and pressures over longer stints, check that camber is set up for the corner where you need it, then try to analyze the bottlenecks that prevent you from going faster and see what you find.

And study. Study a lot. Carroll Smith's To Win -books are great.

It is all quite complicated to explain in a single forum post, and even after that, driver feel has a big impact on setup.

Start with tyre temps and pressures over longer stints, check that camber is set up for the corner where you need it, then try to analyze the bottlenecks that prevent you from going faster and see what you find.

And study. Study a lot. Carroll Smith's To Win -books are great.
So without any knowledge the telemetry is useless, right? Anyone can understand what is said in those books? I saw he wrote some books. Which one should i start with first?

So without any knowledge the telemetry is useless, right? Anyone can understand what is said in those books? I saw he wrote some books. Which one should i start with first?

As a driver, you read drive to win first; and then you hit speed secrets' books simultaneously.

As an engineer, you hit the textbooks first. Then you read Smith's Tune to Win & Engineer to Win. It's been years since I've flipped through the book, but most people will say that is where you start. After that, IMO one needs to pickup Buddy Fey's Data Power (good luck on that btw w/o spending a fortune) and if you feel like you want to dive into vehicle dynamics, the first one you get is Milliken's; there are a few out there but that one is probably hands down the most popular first title. After that if you feel like you want to study tires you read Haney's before Pacejka's.

Notice I haven't even touched on the topic of aero. All the titles above should take you at least a good 18 to 24 months if not more to properly absorb and digest.

As a driver, you read drive to win first; and then you hit speed secrets' books simultaneously.

As an engineer, you hit the textbooks first. Then you read Smith's Tune to Win & Engineer to Win. It's been years since I've flipped through the book, but most people will say that is where you start. After that, IMO one needs to pickup Buddy Fey's Data Power (good luck on that btw w/o spending a fortune) and if you feel like you want to dive into vehicle dynamics, the first one you get is Milliken's; there are a few out there but that one is probably hands down the most popular first title. After that if you feel like you want to study tires you read Haney's before Pacejka's.

Notice I haven't even touched on the topic of aero. All the titles above should take you at least a good 18 to 24 months if not more to properly absorb and digest.
God...i have to leave university and no more gym in the evening.

What do u mean when you say "as an engineer, you hit the textbooks first"?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back