1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Team Lotus buy Caterham

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Paul B. Smith, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Team Lotus have announced today that they have bought Caterham Cars (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90955), the company that bought the rights to build the Lotus 7 from Colin Chapman.

Perhaps this means we'll being seeing Caterham in F1 if Team Lotus lose their battle with Lotus Cars over naming rights.

2. Hope they don't screw Caterham up like Lotus is doing with their own cars...

3. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium Member

Are they? (sincere question, no second sense, just curious).

4. That looks like a combination of Lamborgini, Citroen and Aston Martin.

5. Kind of :S

6. In this case it's Team Lotus rather than Lotus Cars who are buying Caterham. If it means that Caterham carry on as before but with better investment then that will be a good thing.

Lotus Cars seem to be doing some strange things at the moment. They were always cutting edge motor racing manufacturers in the past, but now seem to be content with putting their name on other peoples cars. I was really pleased when the Lotus name came back into F1, but I don't understand what they are trying to achieve, particularly when Lotus Cars could have invested in the Lotus F1 team rather than go to court to stop them from using the name. I live just a few miles from both the Lotus Cars factory and the Team Lotus GP base so have always had a soft spot for the brand. I'll be celebrating whether it's a Team Lotus car or a Renault Lotus winning a race, but I'd prefer it if they could sort themselves out properly!

7. James Chant

James Chant
    Premium Member

Its convenient for team lotus. It holds more history of the lotus name, Which could help them in court, but If the court case goes in renaults favour, then it'll be caterham on the car instead of lotus

8. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium Member

You really convinced me :(

Sad to see they will become "more of the same" talking about sportscars... I wouldn't recognise a Lotus like that.

9. That sucks...

Buisness over passion, like Formula 1...

10. What happened with the car designers seriously??? Anyone saw a car that looks actually good nowadays? I always see ugly hi-tech spaceships instead of cars... The old Esprit, that was a Lotus, not these!