1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Team fortress 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gareth Hickling, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Just for a little fun while im not racing I play a FPS shooter called Team fortress 2 that is downloadable via steam.
    Team Fortress 2 on Steam

How many of you guys own TF2? Maybe we can get a server up sometime for a shoot em up session!

2. Now THAT is a good idea!!! :becky:
    Hehehe, I haven't even played it that much but I really like it, it's mindless fun! I prefer to play the soldier, but I also like the spy a lot!

Could be fun to have a RD TF2 event sometimes, everybody with headsets on and blowing each other to pieces! :cool::thumb:

3. Noes, I don't have TF2. I only have CS:S, Portal, Garry's Mod & HL2 Deathmatch. HL2 Deathmatch could be fun as it's free to anyone with a Graphics card.

4. i don't have TM2
    but i also have as Simon has, CS:S & HL2 Deathmatch

5. Ive got TF2 aint played it that much though. Used to play a lotta Team Fortress Classic.
    And TF2 is so different not what i expected but its fun to play.

Id be up for a bit of fps mayhem

6. Been into TF2 almost since it came out,i do love a bit of Demoman action under the name "Captain Sensible".

7. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

got TF2 Aswell Rocket Crits FTW :pound:

8. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Hmm guys, i just see now for the first time that this game is automaticly as a dedi server in steam..

Shall i open a server for it to test it?

9. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Whats an RCON password?

10. RCON password allows remote admin of server from within the game client or third party tools.

You will also need a sever.cfg to set the server up I have one i could post if you want.

Running the server from the cmd line is a better option too as it uses less system resource with no gui to display

11. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

We are currently having problems getting the server to fire up, Something to do with permissions,

12. I take it this is a windows server any error message?

To be honest ive never used the dedi server that you install from steam ive always used the hldsupdatetool, and installed the server in its own folder. I dont have the steam client on my server.

Could meet on TS if its easier rather than posting.

13. Gareth Hickling

Gareth Hickling
    Premium Member

Ive just found this tool you are on about on the net, We were trying to run it through steam initially.

Ill read up now :)

14. just create a directory give everyone full control, put the tool in the directory.

hldsupdatetool -command update -game tf -dir .

From the command line in the server dir.
    with the dot would install tf2 to the current directory

Server config file attached just remove the .txt ext and drop in

serverroot\orangebox\tf\cfg

Its fully commented so the options are easy to understand

Attached Files:

15. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

Any News?

16. Ramon van Rijn

Ramon van Rijn
    Premium Member

I have it in my Orange box, but not ever started :)

17. I'd be up for this but interest seems to be waning :rolleyes:

18. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

well i managed to get a guest pass for the game from steam valid till 30th of september

19. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

well i got a guest pass for the game from steam valid till 30th of september. anyone want? :thumb:

20. Id be up for some TF but we need a server and i dont really fancy just hitting a public server to be honest. I can run a server but the adsl conn is only 1.3 meg up so numbers would be limited. It would also not be running all the time only when in use.