T500 phone rev counter mod?

Was just wondering if anyone out there knows of someone doing a cell phone mod behind the wheel for uses like dashmeterpro. If not, i'll have to build one. There is definitely some room behind the wheel to attach a piece of aluminium down into the rubber shroud for this, just thought someone would have done something already? So i'm asking if anyone has seen one for sale anywhere

This was posted over at iRacing.
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2541981.page

Ever since getting the Thrustmaster T500 Wheel, I've been annoyed by the fact that I can't put my Android phone behind the wheel rim to create a digital display where you would typically see them.

I tried different things: Placing it beside the wheel, mounting it to the top of the monitor... nothing seemed to work right.

I started to consider modding the wheel to extend the steering column a few inches but I didn't really want to take on a task that big.
Then it hit me... the only reason I can't put my phone where I want it is because of the big round paddle shifter base.

Since I don't really use the paddle shifters (and I would have probably had to sacrifice them anyway if I had extended the steering column) I went ahead and removed them and fabricated this neat little device to cover the hole and hold my phone, all at the same time.

This mod is 100% reversible and doesn't damage the wheel in any way.

I'll eventually paint it so that it doesn't look so ghetto, but I wanted to share the pics before I paint it so it's easier to see how I did it. I'm also going to add foam to protect the phone and make it fit a little more snug.

This would work with a tablet as well... just make the block the same width (just a tad more) than the size of the tablet.

Exceptional job Jeremy, a real credit to you mate.. I was in a similar situation with my t500 and wanting to find a way to mount my z1 sim screen directly to the wheel base.. This is what i come with... Cheers Brett
woops sorry forgot the pics
2786c5c8e1a8be796fb2f726cca5a0fe.gif
2786c5c8e1a8be796fb2f726cca5a0fe.gif

brettspics017.jpg
brettspics010.jpg
brettspics008.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. Not exactly ideal to lose the shifters though. I've actually made a mockup of how i may do mine. You don't lose the shifters, it's just a piece of metal with a small shelf on it. I will see if i can find a metal work near me and if i follow this through, post some pics of the mod.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea