1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC [suggestion] 3d Grass Color Shade Variety?

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by nothke, Dec 7, 2012.

1. I hope this is a good place to reach Kunos, cause well first I have to say that stuff they showed us so far is just amazing! All kudos to Kunos =) Except well, with all the high quality gorgeous models and textures, one thing really pierces my eyes is how the 3d grass looks. Not much to the grass texture itself, but the lack of variety in shading..

Even if you CAN see the difference in color on the screenshots like those yellowish/brownish spots.. The problem is that they are too uniform.

In reality, no grass blade has the same "brightness" or "hue" cause it all depends on different factors such as: time in shadow, soil nutrition and water, air humidity, pressure (if it's being walked or driven over), and few more.. What it looks on the screenshots you showed us is that all blades are the same, and it looks very repeatable, bland, unrealistic and artificial, you name it..

And brightness changes also come in "clumps" so to say, not uniform random "dots", but in a more (lets use the stupid word, but you know what I mean) "organic" way.

In some my tracks I tried to pay attention to this and make same texture with different brightness and WOW.. It just sets realism to a higher league!

I don't use grass everywhere like you, but just just on some pieces where it's thicker, but since you are using it everywhere this would help greatly! And of course, I had to hand plant the objects to create realistic/logical visible clumps, not just scatter uniformly. But I guess if I had better programming skills it could've been done through scripts too.

In this one I actually made the same grass texture but repeated it on a bigger texture with I think 10 versions of variety in brightness and color,(not very good performance wise), but generally it could be done (much easier) with other methods such as vertex painting or add/multi layers on top

I hope you'll see this and well this could serve as a tutorial for others too =)

PS. Kunos: what happened to that teamspeak you promised? Am I missing it somewhere or is it not there yet?
    • Like Like x 6
  2. kunos

Kunos Simulazioni

very good suggestion, I like the effect. I'll prepare a dedicated shader for that.

Teamspeak? I am lost, don't remember what you are talking about actually.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. That is really fast Stefano:thumbsup: :
    • Like Like x 17
  4. Dinca Andrei

Dinca Andrei
    Premium Member

Ohh man,that was fast...and looks good.
    RD did it again :D
  5. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

That's really impressive. Well done nothke and kunos:thumbsup:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Absolutely love this. Feels like early 2000's again that the community suggestions were actually taken into account by developers. Never seen such a fast follow up though :thumbsup:

Result looks great, thanks guys!
    • Like Like x 6
  7. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Such a small change, such a massive effect. Well done nothke
    • Like Like x 1
  9. :confused: In the last picture the transition between the grass & sand trap look SO MUCH more natural....Nice one!
    Well done Nothke for spotting that & Kunos for being so incredibly quick about implementing it!:thumbsup:
  10. Looks really really nice indeed.
    Thx Kunos.
  11. Wow! Thank you Kunos for taking my suggestion, this is exactly what I was talking about!! It could be improved, of course, just like everything else has room for improvement =) But this is enough in my opinion, at least for first release, and it looks much much better.
    • Like Like x 5
  12. People complaining about the grass. Kunos worrying about the grass. LOL. No wonder the tech demo isn't out yet. This title will never be released if Kunos keeps worrying about stupid stuff. :O_o:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sorry for the Off topic.....but

Jamie, all of us are waiting and excited for the release but all we can do is help their work or... SHUT UP!.... don't complain about the rapid improvements on "stupid things"...... THAT IS STUPID.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Mod-edit: we were just going back to topic.
  15. Oh man the grass looks amazing, it really looks natural now!

Also, gotta love devs that really take in account the community, good work Kunos. :thumbsup:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I gotta admit, I never really noticed this grass effect until nothke pointed it out and when I read the thread I thought, well it would be nice but not a must have (I doubt I notice it while racing anyway ;)) but seeing this getting noticed by Kunos and implemented that fast is really epic. Thanks to nothke & Kunos!
  17. Looks like the AC fanboys will rival the iracing fanboys for their fanaticism. :D

Heck with the tire model or the ffb, the most important thing in a racing simulation is how the grass looks. LOL. Like I said, this title will never be released if they worry about stupid stuff like this.

Hey Kunos! If you're reading this, to heck with a dynamic environment, I wanna see some grasshoppers in the new sexy grass model.
  18. Holy community feedback.

I'd get my cows to eat from that grass. It looks healthy. :whistling:
  19. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Jamie Shorting what is stupid to you, might be very important to others.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. :rolleyes: