steering wheel for commercial use

I built a simulator which is being used now commercially, the problem is that I need a steering wheel which can take heavy abuse. I dont need it to have the best force feedback in the world, just need it to work.

I tried the T500RS and it failed after 3 weeks, I tried a G27 and it failed after 2 weeks.

So what else is there thats tough?

Not really interested in the ECCI.

The Fanatec Clubsport steering wheel looks promising. But I dont like the fact that you can adjust its settings from the wheel itself, it will make it easy for anyone to ruin the right settings.

Do the current fanatec steering wheels have an option to lock the settings from changing on the wheel?

Upvote 0
The only other thing I can think of for commercial use is to build an FXX setup wheel...
http://www.race-sim.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=11&product_id=55

But all are expensive.

The problem with using most mass produced wheels like the thrustmaster, logitech and fanatec, is that when ever people have a go on them in public they tend to be a bit heavy handed and abuse them.
As its not their wheel or they dont care.
So to buy a wheel that will last the test of time and general public abuse, its going to have to be some thing like the ECCI or the FXX.
Its that or make the peope who use your rig pay a deposit or charge them for ware and tear.

Upvote 0
Just buy the cheapest ffb wheel if you know its getting abused,(im thinking momo, loads on ebay real cheap) you can always have a expensive wheel that can be used, but a deposit is required...as suggested by Alpha
Sounds like its a user problem rather than a equipment fault...

Upvote 0
Can I ask a simple, possibly stupid question?? Well I'm going to anyways.

I understand the abuse it COULD potentially take (with some people being idiots and whatnot), but in my head I can't see it being considerably much more stress than some of us might put our wheels through during a serious race or time attack session. Short of someone taking the wheel off the stand and throwing it on the ground 5 times, I don't know why your wheel would break in 2-3-4 weeks. Some of us use our wheels on a nightly basis and there should not be much damage other than cosmetic in my mind.

Is the damage simply from shipping place to place or is it after specific people use them? If the internals are overheating, why not just throw a computer fan on the wheel case (for the 10$ give-or-take a good fan would cost) I can't see any other problems happening.

Maybe I am the naive one here, but I'm just trying to get to the root of your problem before you start spending substantially more money on higher end parts. Don't want you spending upwards of $2500 on a Frex just to have some jackass destroy that on you like all the others. And like I asked before, if it's people wrecking them, I would make them sign damage waivers before even attempting to use the wheel. If your doing it under commercial settings I don't know why anything would take more abuse than any of use would put them through.

Sorry if I offended you for any reason, I'm just curious and trying to help. I love my G25, even though it's been modded I still can't see breaking it in 2-3 weeks even if I was the one to throw it on the ground.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea