Steering Input Display (Esotic Mod)

Apps Steering Input Display (Esotic Mod) V1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Esotic submitted a new resource:

Steering Input Display (Esotic Mod) - steering input display app from dJomp with a few modifications

The original Steering Input Display app is here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/steering-input-display.11713/

Demo video of the Esotic Mod V1.0:

I found this great app after having a humorously bad start to a race where my wheel was not properly centered. I added an icon, max degrees of rotation, and a warning to let you know if you are sitting still and your wheel is not centered.

Cheers,

Esotic

Read more about this resource...

@Vanisch @Trinacria

I tried a few changes to the colors, but so far I've not found anything I personally like. When I'm driving during practice or a race I'm rarely trying to read the numbers. The exception would be maybe during a long straight when the colors are in the orange, yellow, green or aqua ranges (something within 2 KMH of previous fastest). I feel like all those colors are easy to read. Anything in the red/blue ranges is far enough off that I've probably not found good consistency with the preceding corner(s). Below is the code that defines the colors being used:

colors = {
"white" : [255, 255, 255],
"yellow" : [255, 255, 0],
"green" : [2, 221, 20],
"red" : [252, 35, 35],
"purple" : [255,0,255],
"aqua" : [0,255,255],
"violet" : [255,150,255],
"blue" : [0,0,255],
"orange" : [255,140,0]
}

There's some more logic that decides when to use each color:

if False: # LapValid == 0 or (TimeOfLastOff > 0.0 and ((currentTime - TimeOfLastOff) < 5000.0)):
#not relevant for this app?
displayLabel.setFontColor(*rgb(colors["purple"], alpha))
#ac.setFontColor(displayLabel, *rgb(colors["purple"], alpha))
elif numDelta < -2.0:
displayLabel.setFontColor(*rgb(colors["red"], alpha)) #red
#ac.setFontColor(displayLabel, *rgb(colors["red"], alpha))
elif numDelta < -1.0:
displayLabel.setFontColor(*rgb(colors["orange"], alpha)) # orange
#ac.setFontColor(displayLabel, *rgb(colors["orange"], alpha))
elif numDelta < 0.0:
displayLabel.setFontColor(*rgb(colors["yellow"], alpha)) # yellow
#ac.setFontColor(displayLabel, *rgb(colors["yellow"], alpha))
elif numDelta > 2.0:
displayLabel.setFontColor(*rgb(colors["blue"], alpha)) # blue
elif numDelta > 1.0:
displayLabel.setFontColor(*rgb(colors["aqua"], alpha)) # aqua
else: # > 0 < 1.0
displayLabel.setFontColor(*rgb(colors["green"], alpha)) # green
#ac.setFontColor(displayLabel, *rgb(colors["green"], alpha))

Editing the values and logic should be pretty straight forward. If you come up with changes that you consider more appropriate I'd be happy to take your changes and add them as options. :)

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

Great idea.
Would it be possible to switch/fade-out the circle so it's invisible above a certain speed?
I don't really need the info while driving, but it's a very nice feature for the race starts.

Great idea.
Would it be possible to switch/fade-out the circle so it's invisible above a certain speed?
I don't really need the info while driving, but it's a very nice feature for the race starts.

This sounds pretty straight-forward to code, and I've added this to my ToDo list.

Quick question, if I want to adjust the allowed zone before the circle turns red is it enough to change this:

Code:
        if (degrees < -10 or degrees > 10) and SpeedKMH < 1.0:
            showRed = True
to this:

Code:
        if (degrees < -25 or degrees > 25) and SpeedKMH < 1.0:
            showRed = True
or do need to adjust other things too?

Quick question, if I want to adjust the allowed zone before the circle turns red is it enough to change this:

Code:
        if (degrees < -10 or degrees > 10) and SpeedKMH < 1.0:
            showRed = True
to this:

Code:
        if (degrees < -25 or degrees > 25) and SpeedKMH < 1.0:
            showRed = True
or do need to adjust other things too?
That looks right to me.

@leon_90 I do realize that not everyone is a coder, and I have not gotten around to creating an INI for this app yet, but if you open up the .PY file and look for the "setBackgroundOpacity" in the acMain, you can do something like this:

ac.setBackgroundOpacity(appWindow, 0.7)

The opacity can be anything between 0.0 and 1.0, with 0 being fully transparent and 1.0 being fully opaque.

:)

Cheers,

Esotic

@leon_90 I do realize that not everyone is a coder, and I have not gotten around to creating an INI for this app yet, but if you open up the .PY file and look for the "setBackgroundOpacity" in the acMain, you can do something like this:

ac.setBackgroundOpacity(appWindow, 0.7)

The opacity can be anything between 0.0 and 1.0, with 0 being fully transparent and 1.0 being fully opaque.

:)

Cheers,

Esotic

Thanks for the help ;) however I tried but this setting seems to be doing nothing :( I put 1 to drawborder instead, just to help me locate it better, but opacity does not work alas

@leon_90 I forgot to check, and there is another instance of ac.setBackgroundOpacity(appWindow, 0) in the drawWheel routine, and that's the one that is doing the majority of the work. Sorry for not checking this the first time around (my coffee had not kicked in yet when I posted this morning). :p

@leon_90 I forgot to check, and there is another instance of ac.setBackgroundOpacity(appWindow, 0) in the drawWheel routine, and that's the one that is doing the majority of the work. Sorry for not checking this the first time around (my coffee had not kicked in yet when I posted this morning). :p

Thanks, now it worked great! Gonna change my review in 5 star plus plus (ok just 5 star technically :D )

Esotic updated Steering Input Display (Esotic Mod) with a new update entry:

now supports changing background opacity and app scaling

I have not created an INI file for this yet, but I have created a few more variables to help you control the behaviour of this app. You can now set the background opacity and draw border in one place, as well as adjust the overall size of the app if you need to scale it up for use with DSR.

From the top of the .PY file:

#THESE ARE VARIABLES YOU CAN CHANGE
maxKMH = 999 #if the KMH is greater than this number hide the steering wheel, default is 999 (always on)
backgroundOpacity = 0.0 #this...

Read the rest of this update entry...

@leon_90 Thanks for the review! Sounds like you've already beaten me to upgrading your personal copy of the code, but the V1.2 should help make this easier for anyone else that wants to set the background, or scale the app up/down.

The new code would allow you to make the app square, so you don't have a bunch of extra background above the top of the "wheel". This is assuming you are using the pinHack to hide the AC app icons.
squaresteering.jpg

I always tuck my apps into the dash/cockpit, so I almost never notice that apps need a background opacity setting. :p
ac_apps.jpg

Cheers!

Esotic

Last edited:
Hi, really like your app, great work.
But is there the possibility to select another texture or change something easy to even use a texture? Because I'd really like to use the "wheel" texture from D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\texture.

Hi, really like your app, great work.
But is there the possibility to select another texture or change something easy to even use a texture? Because I'd really like to use the "wheel" texture from D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\texture.
This app is not using a texture, it's actually "drawing" the circle and trapezoid using OpenGL commands, so that would not be a quick and easy change.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back