1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Standing starts

Discussion in 'RaceRoom Racing Experience' started by Sean Kenney, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Any tips on starting from a standing start? I seem to just sit and spin, or everyone just flies by. Can't seem to find the happy medium

2. Try to stay away from the Max Rev for starters (if you just floor down it'll cause your wheels to spin and spin without creating any grip). Try to maintain some high rpm and modulate clutch and throttle when the green light pops out. If you release the clutch too soon you'll find yourself struggling to get speed, if it's released too late you'll just lose time as the wheels won't move. It's a matter of sensitivity really: you'll improve your starts with tentatives... I'm awful at this btw!! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks.

4. I try to keep the rpm somewhere in the midrange, usually works quite well.

But I'm missing the use of the ignition button, and the possibility to false starts!

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. James Cook

James Cook
    Marcas fan

False starts would be good. Anything that introduces more technique to getting off the line rather than just sticking it in first, flooring it and seeing what happens!

What about rolling starts online?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jay Ekkel

Jay Ekkel
    Kylotonn Games

FYI, that technique will not get you of the line fastest!

For the rest patience is golden :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. James Cook

James Cook
    Marcas fan

I know, but that seems to be the way most people start judging by the amount of tyre smoke on the grid!

• Haha Haha x 1
  8. It's a BBQ tyre feast!

9. I am going to just practice this lol. Wtcc fwd cars cause me major grief. Its comical everyone flying by me

10. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin
    Premium Member

try balancing the throttle at about 1000 rpm of max in the fwd , once the car starts watch the revs/ and listen , back of a little with the pedal and feed in once it stops spinning

do this a few times and you will work out where to start and where to back off ......

ps the beemers will still pass you

Andi

• Beer Beer x 1
  11. Thanks andi, I will try that.

Good to know about the beemers BC I had 4 go by me like I was in reverse!

12. Me too, either spin if I put my foot down, or so slow anyway, if I take it gentle. Almost pointless going for a good grid position. I resign myself to being in the pack at best on the first corner.

13. You can assign both ignition and starter buttons, but they`re pretty useless if starting`s automatic anyway...

14. Msportdan

Msportdan
    @ Simberia @Simberia

ill tell you something which helps.

Count to 2 on the last red light,(get a better start than Ai doing this all the time) then go. :) dont stamp just ease the throttle progressively.

This is where i think RRe needs random light timed starts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. My method has always been to floor the gas, then let go about 30-40% depending on the car. It'll still bang off the limiter but once the lights go out, I would modulate the throttle as necessary. Not the best starter but at least I can do it well enough consistently.