Sound design in SCE

The misses gave me a headphone for my birthday last month, and it really helped me to get a proper impression of sound design in racing game as one might expect.

On that note; I find SCE to be an orgasm to the ears. People always praise R3R for its sound design, and with regards to engines and transmissions that is definitely deserved, but overall i think SCE is on par if not better.

- I have the impression there is way more diversity in the tyre sounds than in other games. Most games just take one sample for tyres squeal and that's it more or less (on/off), but in SCE i pick up a lot more diversity in the tyre sounds. The tyres make a wider range of different noises depending on how you abuse them and sometimes I have the impression you can even hear individual tyres at work when they are under a bigger load than the rest.

- Engines, gear changes, off throttle noises and the doppler effect in replays are all excellent. I guess the smaller car count gave the devs more room to perfect things and it shows. Even the rental kart sounds like the real thing.

- Proper wind noise in open cockpits! I have been wanting this in most other sims but it is always underdone, but here you really hear the wind hitting your helmet whilst increasing speed.

Anyway; might seem like a strange thread but i think Reiza deserves as much praise for their sound design as for their FFB, so that's why i wanted to spread the word in the hope they do not alter it too much for Automobilista :)

Well i'll be darned. I was looking for Chevy Cruz vids on youtube but had to make do with WTCC examples. Can you explain what is different in the Brazilian version that it creates this 'bumble bee' sound?

Also even though you switch brands (Chevy, Toyota, Ford or Mitsu), they all have the bumble bee mixed in there.

All cars in the series share the same standard 4-cyl engine from argentinean engine manufacturer Berta. They´ve got nothing to do with the engines used in WTCC.

There are some good comparisons and info about the Cruze in Marcas vs the one in WTCC in this link if you can digest the portuguese via Google translator.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.