1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

sound card advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chris Hendrich, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Hi, I need some advice for a soundcard with optical out and 5.1 surround sound.
    I have a creative labs xi-fi gamer but it does only stereo through optical. Any advice?

I am used to playing games on ps3 and xbox and they all have surround sound. Do PC games also have surround sound?

2. short answer
    most of them yes ;)
    depending on the game....if it is latest shooter games, then there is a surround sound
    but if it is games like Race series, rfactor or ARCA, then no, they are only stereo (it does uses all 5 speakers, but not really surround)

as for new sound card, depends on your budget ;)

3. Personally id go for the xfi titanium or the asus xonar, sure its expensive but ive come to learn that waiting that extra month or two for better quality always produces better results.

4. Firstly it is a limitation of the digital S/PDIF protocol, it doesn't allow more than stereo signal when using a simple uncompressed PCM signal. In case for your X-FI card you have to activate (some X-FI bundles are shipped with that license) or buy a DolbyDigitalLive license from Creative ~5$ to use the Dolby or DTS compression for a full 5.1 digital output.

But you can always use the analog output to get at least the same quality, because the Dolby/DTS compression is lossy codec with only about 640Kbps for all 6 channels.