AC Social Event: Mazda MX Cup @ Magione - Fri 09FEB18

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I also enjoyed the race. Bloody on the edge with the new setup (just 3 laps of testing before race), but I'm sort of proud that I could save some tricky reactions of the car. Good battle between Aki and Joel :)

I have noticed both on sim racing systems and racedept that some peoples AC MX5 is faster in a straight line. Now these are all same spec race cars so has someone worked out a bent set up that makes the car faster?
Literally being passed by the same spec race car going quicker is not simply slip stream IMO...

I have noticed both on sim racing systems and racedept that some peoples AC MX5 is faster in a straight line. Now these are all same spec race cars so has someone worked out a bent set up that makes the car faster?
Literally being passed by the same spec race car going quicker is not simply slip stream IMO...
I think its all all down to exit speed and also ur shifting. For ex. paddles are a lot slower than H-pattern and also you need to take into consideration how the power band is and where is the optimal shift point.

You can make a huge difference in straight line speed if you can make car stable in exits so you can slam the throttle in really soon.

Also toe's and ride height play a very, very slight role. And if u get out of the corner more quickly than the car in front of u, it just boosts the speed difference a lot, but you have to be in that 0.3-0.4 sec window.

Last edited:
Can someone drop me a pm with the replay? I spent about an hour of having fun with this combo while testing something and I'd be really interested to see the lines and inputs during the race :)

@JoelK I'm gonna test H-shifter vs paddles this week on the drag strip. I don't think it makes that much of a difference but who knows :p

So ultimately there is a ride height and toe set up that is giving extra pace...fair enough..can someone share it?
For the fastest straight line speed it's lowest ride height and toe as close to 0.00° as possible.

But as Joel said, the exit is the most important! Watch the video from @BhZ at Spa and compare the straight line speeds with yours (do you have your replay of your race there?).
It's with default setup. Only tyre pressures adjusted!
Top Speed at the end of Kemmel is 188 kp/h
upload_2018-2-12_12-42-53.png

Full lap begins at 4:40min

Hi Rasmus,
For some reason, my system hasn't saved the race, but I have Quali and can drop a copy in Dropbox if that would help?

BTW, corner exit speed and line make massive difference down the straights. In practice at Magione the other evening, I had deltas of up to 0.6 secs on the back straight; 2 kph faster out of the corner = 2 kph faster all the way down the straight (less a small amount for differential in drag)

J:o)

Just to clarify my reference to 'edgy' set up in an earlier post, note, not a 'bent' set up.

During practice at Magione, there was a discussion in Team Speak about a particular set up which was said to be very fast but a bit of a handful. I think that a number of drivers tried it during Quali and the race and the general verdict was, "very fast, but a bit of a handful".

I think that David Lopez Vila was one of the drivers who ran this set up and I am hoping that he can send details to me to try in private testing.

Being 3-6 secs off the pace is one thing and it then is about corner exit etc etc, but i am talking about the hundreths of secs off where it can simply be a set up tweek.
You can talk about corner exit all day long but there comes a point where you realize both in real life and sims someone simply has found a sweet spot in the set up..

Just to clarify my reference to 'edgy' set up in an earlier post.

During practice at Magione, there was a discussion in Team Speak about a particular set up which was said to be very fast but a bit of a handful. I think that a number of drivers tried it during Quali and the race and the general verdict was, very fast, but a bit of a handful.

I think that David Lopez Vila was one of the drivers who ran this set up and I am hoping that he can send details to me to try in private testing.

It would be nice to know the set up for sure, but i can't imagine people like to spread it around if they have found an advantage. I doubt it will be give to people up the sharp end anyway.

Being 3-6 secs off the pace is one thing and it then is about corner exit etc etc, but i am talking about the hundreths of secs off where it can simply be a set up tweek.
You can talk about corner exit all day long but there comes a point where you realize both in real life and sims someone simply has found a sweet spot in the set up..
I can share the setup me and Aki used and which works(P1 and P2) after i get out of work, but theres shouldn't be any difference in Straight line speed, it's just faster( and a lot sketchier) everywhere else.

Jo, Joe, it is what Joel is telling in the last posts here. Matthias' setup is a tricky one. It can potentially make you faster, but you must be always on edge. I didn't notice any advantage in straight speed. Corner exit is the trick for that. Every other lap I struggled in that before the straight and I could only see the gap to Joel increase a lot. A couple of times happened the other way around. Yet again, this setup wasn't supposed to be very good at this track (so the author himself). In Spa, a couple of guys were immediately faster with it, but Neil (a fast driver himself) couldn't. All in all, if the setup doesn't suit your driving style, it won't make you faster, probably slower.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back