F1 2012 slipstreaming

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
The slipstreaming effect last year was enormous, now it's much smaller and I think realistic. Maybe it's a tiny bit weak at longer distances but unfortunately you lose very little downforce following another car unlike real life (the 'dirty air' effect) so that balances it out.

there are other things to take into account. if the guy in front has very low downforce he will have greater straight line speed than a high downforce car.

if you are running high downforce and slipstream him, you would still catch (due to sliptstream) but the effect wouldn't be as great - i believe (altho i'm not certain about this)

gears are certainly crucial. if your gears aren't right, you could be hitting the limiter and not be able to go faster. today alonso ran a high 7th gear to allow him higher speed in the slipstream.

in a nutshell, if you had equal cars to the guy in front, you would enjoy a great slipstream, but if you are lacking in straightline speed, the slipstream won't seem so great.

there are other things to take into account. if the guy in front has very low downforce he will have greater straight line speed than a high downforce car.

if you are running high downforce and slipstream him, you would still catch (due to sliptstream) but the effect wouldn't be as great - i believe (altho i'm not certain about this)

gears are certainly crucial. if your gears aren't right, you could be hitting the limiter and not be able to go faster. today alonso ran a high 7th gear to allow him higher speed in the slipstream.

in a nutshell, if you had equal cars to the guy in front, you would enjoy a great slipstream, but if you are lacking in straightline speed, the slipstream won't seem so great.

Andrew's right. It is due to a combination of factors. If you don't have the right gear ratios or aero settings, your car will reach a lower top speed, and you will not be able to use the full effect of the slipstream. The Red Bull cars have this problem at most high speed circuits.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.