Simulator Advice needed

Hi guys,
I need some advice on what would be best for setting up a simulator within our workshop (where we prepare Saloon race cars).
We would like to offer our drivers the opportunity in the New Year to jump on a sim when they visit our premisis; and give them a chance to 'play', with the provision of maybe helping them with possible driving tuition and supplied data of their practice runs in the future.
So my 'basic' thoughts are:

Rfactor2 (with MOTEC??)
PC - i7 6600K with Nvidia 1080ti graphics
3x 32"+ Screens
Rseat RS1 (or similar)
Direct Drive Wheel & pedal system ? (recomendations??)
Butt Kickers??

The main aim is for drivers not too feel like they are just jumping on a playstation for a bit of fun.;)
No offence to PS owners!!!:whistling:;)
Any input would gratefully received!!:thumbsup:

With triple 1440p monitors and a single 1080ti in rF2, you'll likely be borderline for 60 fps in a race with AI unless graphic settings aren't turned down a bit. With 1080p monitors, you'll have adequate fps, but pixel size is a bit chunky at 32".

I think you'll want the rSeat N1 if you're going to use a direct drive wheel in a commercial environment. The extra wheel platform bracing seems warranted. rSeat's monitor stands are about the best I've seen.

For the wheel & pedals... I think you need to refine your criteria. How realistic do the rim & pedals need to be to match what the drivers are used to using? Do the rim & pedals need to be swappable because they use a wide variety of rims? Do the pedals need to be quiet or can they go "thump"? Are you planning on a button box for game functions or is a wheel with a bunch of buttons adequate?

You haven't mentioned the sound system. Speakers or headphones?

Upvote 0
With triple 1440p monitors and a single 1080ti in rF2, you'll likely be borderline for 60 fps in a race with AI unless graphic settings aren't turned down a bit. With 1080p monitors, you'll have adequate fps, but pixel size is a bit chunky at 32".

I think you'll want the rSeat N1 if you're going to use a direct drive wheel in a commercial environment. The extra wheel platform bracing seems warranted. rSeat's monitor stands are about the best I've seen.

For the wheel & pedals... I think you need to refine your criteria. How realistic do the rim & pedals need to be to match what the drivers are used to using? Do the rim & pedals need to be swappable because they use a wide variety of rims? Do the pedals need to be quiet or can they go "thump"? Are you planning on a button box for game functions or is a wheel with a bunch of buttons adequate?

You haven't mentioned the sound system. Speakers or headphones?
Thanks for info Emery.
Shouldn't have to worry about racing AI, although its worth keeping that in mind as well as 32" screen resolution.
As for the wheel rim, only need a set amount of buttons to operate what is available for them IRL, i.e limiter, launch control, Brake Bias and Comms button.
Having never tried Direct drive wheels or pedals other than G25/G27 with load cell I'm at the mercy of people in the know!
With a modest budget I was thinking of trying and install equipment that the drivers are unlikely to have in their own homes.
Sound.......No idea.! I like the idea of headphones, but not sure!?:unsure:

Upvote 0
"modest budget" and "direct drive with 1080ti" seem like an oxymoron :whistling: ... however, it certainly is not when put in the context of $30k Vesaro motion rigs.

At this time, the obvious answer for wheel & pedals is probably an OSW kit with Heusinkveld pedals. If the racers are used to Tilton pedals, then have a look at http://diysim.com/product-category/sim-controls/. And, finally, for a more integrated solution, consider Fanatec once their direct drive wheel is released.

It's easy to find quality headphones without spending much, with Sennheiser being a favorite amongst many people.

Upvote 0
- Large, Ultra-wide screens; the biggest you can afford. The wide monitor wing-span & real estate is what really grabs the attention of first time casual observers. High resolution (e.g. 4K or 1440) may be mean you have to tone down the graphics.

One catch is that the ultra-wide monitors (aka 35"-36") are really only 27" monitors with additional real estate on the sides. 32" monitors in standard width are better for vertical field of view, which is desireable in sedans unless you turn on the virtual rear view mirror. The side real estate is nice for ease of entry if the monitors aren't on swing mounts.

Another option for increased wing-span is going with 43+" televisions, but finding TVs with verified low lag is difficult and you have to give up any pretense of finding high scan rate TVs.

Upvote 0
Great mind's... My business offer's race car graphic's.

We do quite a few racing car trailer's and race car's.
My customer's use my rig when visiting and discussing artwork or delivering a vehicle.

They love it !

Good luck

rig a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back