Simple Tire Modding for GTR 2

This would probably work for other similar games as well.

I have found that you can alter the speed and cornering/handling of cars easily by changing two settings in the .tyr files in notepad. Here is a part of a .tyr file, notice the "Radius" and "Width" settings :

"[COMPOUND]
Name="Soft Compound"
FRONT: // Arguments:ALL,FRONT,REAR,LEFT,RIGHT,FRONTLEFT, FRONTRIGHT,REARLEFT,REARRIGHT
DryLatLong=(1.800, 1.825) // Lateral/longitudinal coefficients in dry weather
WetLatLong=(1.100, 1.100) // Lateral/longitudinal coefficients in wet weather
Radius=0.310 // Radius of tire
RadiusRPM=1.01e-6 // Increased radius per unit RPM
Width=0.290 // Width of tire"

First the Radius the smaller the figure the slower the car will go and vice verse, if you want your car to go a little faster you can simply increase the Radius of the tire by a "small" amount, trial and error is the key.

Now the Width, this is where the handling changes come in, increase the amount from 0.290 to 0.320 and your car will have greatly increased grip on corners, but be aware if you increase it too much your car may tip over on corners, decrease it too much and you can turn it into a drift car.

It's trial and error, I changed the tires completely on an E-Type Jag and couldn't work out why the car would not go as fast and would tip over on corners, that's because the new tires had a smaller radius and were much wider, I changed the Radius to the previous tires settings and then the Width, I experimented with the grip until I had the right combination of grip and slip.

Back up your files first and remember you have front and back tires as well as different compounds in the same file.

Hope this helps.

This would probably work for other similar games as well.

I have found that you can alter the speed and cornering/handling of cars easily by changing two settings in the .tyr files in notepad. Here is a part of a .tyr file, notice the "Radius" and "Width" settings :

"[COMPOUND]
Name="Soft Compound"
FRONT: // Arguments:ALL,FRONT,REAR,LEFT,RIGHT,FRONTLEFT, FRONTRIGHT,REARLEFT,REARRIGHT
DryLatLong=(1.800, 1.825) // Lateral/longitudinal coefficients in dry weather
WetLatLong=(1.100, 1.100) // Lateral/longitudinal coefficients in wet weather
Radius=0.310 // Radius of tire
RadiusRPM=1.01e-6 // Increased radius per unit RPM
Width=0.290 // Width of tire"

First the Radius the smaller the figure the slower the car will go and vice verse, if you want your car to go a little faster you can simply increase the Radius of the tire by a "small" amount, trial and error is the key.

Now the Width, this is where the handling changes come in, increase the amount from 0.290 to 0.320 and your car will have greatly increased grip on corners, but be aware if you increase it too much your car may tip over on corners, decrease it too much and you can turn it into a drift car.

It's trial and error, I changed the tires completely on an E-Type Jag and couldn't work out why the car would not go as fast and would tip over on corners, that's because the new tires had a smaller radius and were much wider, I changed the Radius to the previous tires settings and then the Width, I experimented with the grip until I had the right combination of grip and slip.

Back up your files first and remember you have front and back tires as well as different compounds in the same file.

Hope this helps.
That table of numbers at the start is the slip curve. It is a bit beyond my ability to create new curves but I have found that by copying the data from other cars and pasting over I can change it. One problem I find is the simbin games do not oversteer nicely, gsce and ams are much better. Slip curve data can be copied from any of the games.

That table of numbers at the start is the slip curve. It is a bit beyond my ability to create new curves but I have found that by copying the data from other cars and pasting over I can change it. One problem I find is the simbin games do not oversteer nicely, gsce and ams are much better. Slip curve data can be copied from any of the games.
Been digging thru files in SimBin games today and comparing to rFactor and AMS - I noticed that the tyre files slip curves are slightly different in a single, small way.

In rFactor or AMS, the names of the three curves are: "Lateral", "Traction", and "Braking". Meanwhile, the names of the three curves in GTR2 are: "Lateral", "Braking", and "Accel".

My guess is that the "Traction" curve in rF/AMS is the same as "Accel" in GTR2, just with a different name. Is this correct?

Been digging thru files in SimBin games today and comparing to rFactor and AMS - I noticed that the tyre files slip curves are slightly different in a single, small way.

In rFactor or AMS, the names of the three curves are: "Lateral", "Traction", and "Braking". Meanwhile, the names of the three curves in GTR2 are: "Lateral", "Braking", and "Accel".

My guess is that the "Traction" curve in RF/AMS is the same as "Accel" in GTR2, just with a different name. Is this correct?
As far as I know, yes, that is correct. For me, the small problem was that some games it's a table and others it's a list. You wouldn't believe my difficulty getting Excel to do that simple change to a batch of numbers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back