Sim Racing: The Big Mid Season Review - Part 1

AMS does have more serious "Racing" aspects I like, as well as the superb FFB and gearbox / drive-line modeling. Once Rieza's 2017 title comes with new graphic & sound engines, I think it's going to be an even more out-standing racing title. Add to that VR support, and I'm not sure rF2 will be a contender for my time any longer - despite it's excellent handling, FFB and dynamic-track features.

AC is a beautiful game with some magnificent content but, it leaves me wanting FFB and the virtual mechanical-connection more like that of AMS. AMS gives me a far better visceral driving experience than AC does; that makes me sad because AC has the potential to be so incredible but, falls just short of the finish line on the last lap without those things. I do agree that the new tire model seems to get it a bit closer though. :)

The differences in content don't bother me much; I enjoy that AMS offers something different and the incoming additions should be excellent as well. If Reiza can eventually include some GT and more TC content, it'll be a very well-rounded Sim-Racing title for my interests.

my 2 cents:

Assetto Corsa:

1408969375807.png

Automobilista:
Solomillo-de-ternera-1.jpg

Nice comparisons. I'll add to them. :sneaky:

Raceroom Racing...

LobsterShrimpChowder_NewHero_zpsnlwz9xts.jpg

Project Cars.......

butt_08_zps62x2xdqg.jpg

I truly like both sims but I am still having issues with the modded cars losing sound in AC after an update. Is there a recent fix for this ? I tried some of the old fixes (Asseto corsa soundfix.rar) and mod cars had sound and Kunos cars didn't and vice versa. I can't seem to find a definitive fix if there is one. I know it has been talked about for a long time but is there a sticky somewhere or good workaround ?
Simply re-installing the sound-mods should fix the issues; most AC updates will likely make it necessary to repeat the process but, at least with Fonsecker's sound packs, it's easy enough.

I gave AC a solid 7 and AMS a well deserved 8.
That said; I seem to run AC more often.
Both studios deserve a lot of credit, considering what they've achieved in such a relatively short time span.
If I could change one thing in AC, it would be the silly penalty system.
It's simply too draconian as applied and kills online racing by imposing massive time penalties for simply going off the road.
If I could change one thing about AMS, it would be the addition of a few more mainstream circuits.

Lotsa responses in this one post and they all run together if you are quoted in here. Sorry, I'm long winded.

Oh I know. Simulation value has really plummetted.

All "funny jokes" stemming from PRC aside - it's actually gone the total opposite to that IMO to the detriment of the games and the community as a whole. We now live in a world of "endless tire model updates" - endless "whatever" updates - that do deliver improved "simulation value". While at times updates have broken things, most of these developers have actually done very well to fix them quickly or make progress to eliminating them.

No one should say with a straight face AC was so much better in it's early access phase when cars were super glued to the road for example - but what does it really matter? Has iRacing really improved thanks to the NTM journey? Does rF2 having half of a weather system actually mean anything for anymore than about 50 people?

"Simulation value" is not the problem with any of these "games". "Game value" is the problem with these "simulations".

Let's be real - GTR2 drove fairly... bizarrely... at times. It's "simulation value" was questioned a hell of a lot of times early on in it's life. What wasn't questioned, and why is it now unanimously regarded as one of the greatest ever? Because it was a damn good game that happened to be a simulation. Or in other words : GTR2 doesn't have wiper blades. We cared in 2007, now no one remembers. ;)

If you want a more modern stand in if you aren't familiar with GTR2's launch, Dirt Rally is an absolutely 100% perfect stand in as proof of the same effect.

Why do you say that the Reiza 2017 will be garbage? Or are you being ironic?

It's not only Reiza 2017 I'm talking about there. Anyone who knows me knows I've done more than my fair share for Reiza and I get a lot of enjoyment from their titles. No one who knows my past history would dare to think I'm a Reiza hater. Realistically though, what can you expect from Reiza 2017?

Maybe Unreal 4 graphics, maybe weather. You'd have to likely figure their own more modified ISI pmotor 2 physics and back end stuff given the time frame they announced even originally. Likely the same type of track and car list that appeals to some of us weirdos, but ultimately continues the trend of being a small niche title.

Remember when it was AC who would rejuvenate the sim racing community after the really "flat" launch of rF2?
Remember when rF2 would get the rF1 community back on it's feet and truly kicking at it's furious pace again?
Remember when iRacing's NTM would fix all of the flaws and make it a no brainer, best out there sim?
This goes on and on and on.

Perhaps my original wording was too harsh, but very rarely does the communities "expectations" match up with the realistic possibilities from the studio with the limits that they all have to deal with.

he might be basing it off the past as he said development is long and for sims its even longer. So it might not be based per say just that it is suffering due to taking too long.

Here is why I really wanted to mention these quotes all tied in to one another - see the response above. However, here is why I put this comment here : it isn't just sim racing.

Story time :

My 2nd favorite genre of games are flight sims, particularly the combat ones. Let me just take the WWII combat flight sim market as a parallel - the same could be done with civilian sims as well as modern jet combat sims though.

IL2 in the early 2000s created a thriving community. It had several expansions on top of it allowing by the end of it to fly almost any fighter of note in WWII as well as several bombers. Everything was awesome - people were playing, people were having fun, the community was self sustaining.

IL2 : Battle of Britain was announced as the "next" IL2 game, some teasers, videos and screenshots came out. HYPE! Loads more detail, somewhat clickable cockpits, more realism, better graphics, a more "well known" scenario in the Battle of Britain. More sim! It took forever to finally came out - released as IL2 : Cliffs of Dover - and it flopped. It ran like garbage, it had a (comparatively) limited aircraft roster because of the setting as well as the detail required to do aircraft to that standard. It flat out killed the community as everyone went and did what they felt best in the wake of that launch. Fairly recently, several years after release and abandonment because the game was a frickin' mess, the community has made the game much closer to what was expected originally. No one really cares though because people were already put off by the launch or are doing something else / playing something else. The ship largely set sail.

Fast forward to IL2 : Battle of Stalingrad (or Moscow) and finally we have a game that is a good enough sim to be a sim, good looking enough to look more than acceptable, has enough focus that it can sorta get around the realities of the requirements of modern content quality. It's a step back to the former greatness of the series and the genre it solely carried on it's back, but because the previous title did so much to drive people off it's a losing battle frought with low player counts and a substantially weaker community - especially in today's climate where an increasing number of people are into the more "instant gratification" type of games.

TL;DR - Space "simulations" were huge in the 90s and 2000s, died off for a variety of reasons and have come back reworked with games like Elite : Dangerous and Star Citizen. This is the cycle of "simulations" as a whole for the home market.

When did you become so salty about sim racing? You always seemed like a such a reasonable voice.

Salty? No, not really. Heck, I have my real world job purely due to sim racing (I would have never, ever, ever become a "graphic designer" - I hate that term - if it weren't for skinning), I've had a lot of fun with the community and running the youtube stuff. I've more than "gotten my mileage out of it". I'd have done none of that if I didn't enjoy it.

However, being reasonable about the games themselves does not mean I am oblivious to the scenery that surrounds the games. When you enjoy something a heck of a lot and you see it dying as the community sticks it's own head up it's rear while the devs are sticking their own heads up their own rear it's easy to get fired up.

More people should be, frankly.

"Simulation value" is not the problem with any of these "games". "Game value" is the problem with these "simulations".

I think this is certainly something that's been lost from that early-mid 2000s era compared to today. You look at GTR2 it has the driving school and championship unlocks. GT Legends has the career mode to unlock cars and tracks. rFactor for crying out loud had car buying and upgrading to the point where a mod crew could've seriously built an entire career progression into their mod (though no-one did). That era had thought put into the single player experience in a way I feel a lot of modern games lack, even when they try. Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally and Project Cars have career modes (to varying levels of quality), but leave all the content unlocked so what's the point? AC also has the special events but hasn't bothered to update the targets on older ones following physics updates so many of them are now impossible.

I would love if Reiza 17 had an actual career mode. I would love if I had to start that game racing karts and earn my way into a Formula Extreme or Stock Car or Super V8, branching off into different career paths and developing my skills along the way. I have precisely zero expectation that that is going to happen and that makes me incredibly sad given how modern I expect the rest of the game to feel, even if it isn't fundamentally different in the base driving from AMS as it is now.

I'm this close to adding the words "Simulation value" and "Majorly" to our censored words list. What a scourge it's become.

I'm this close to adding the words "Simulation value" and "Majorly" to our censored words list. What a scourge it's become.

It is nothing more than a reflection of what the community has become. That whole site is nothing but a parody of what it really is at the end of the day. This is what happens when you end up with nothing but "My sim is better than your sim", and heck, the fact RD is essentially actively encouraging this in such a fashion says just as much.

(as in, why not separate all of the titles so you aren't actively inciting the crapification of the community?)

Last edited:
(as in, why not separate all of the titles so you aren't actively inciting the crapification of the community?)
Separate all of the titles? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. We offer separate sub-forums for every game.

As for us supposedly encouraging "my sim is better than your sim", I can only lol on this matter. We're a community discussion forum, what do you expect? Keeping people from expressing their opinions of certain games is like trying to hold back flood water by yelling at it. Not gonna happen.

We have simple rules, and so long as people adhere to them, then there's no issue.

Edit: Anyway, we're straying off topic here. Let's head back in the right direction :)

rFactor for crying out loud had car buying and upgrading to the point where a mod crew could've seriously built an entire career progression into their mod (though no-one did). That era had thought put into the single player experience in a way I feel a lot of modern games lack, even when they try. Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally and Project Cars have career modes (to varying levels of quality), but leave all the content unlocked so what's the point? AC also has the special events but hasn't bothered to update the targets on older ones following physics updates so many of them are now impossible.

Well you have there the answer, if nobody cared about systems like rF, why would you add that in the next generation of sims? The typical simracer doesn't have the same requeriments as the typical gamer.

Negativity perpetuates itself, breeds dissatisfaction and clutters the mind and when the mind is cluttered with negativity, happiness is much harder to come by.

This could relate to Sim Racing...Sims are not perfect, so I personally try not to focus on the negative but instead, relish the shear enjoyment I get from focussing only on the positive elements like amazing graphics, fantastic FFB / physics or dynamic Audio in each Sim I fire up...

...and lastly...People can be so entrenched in the bad things that there isn’t any room for the good things.

http://www.marcandangel.com/2012/08/08/10-ways-to-defend-yourself-against-negativity/

Also:

No one should say with a straight face AC was so much better in it's early access phase when cars were super glued to the road for example - but what does it really matter? Has iRacing really improved thanks to the NTM journey? Does rF2 having half of a weather system actually mean anything for anymore than about 50 people?

Well if simulation doesn't matter then what's the purpose of simulations? Make the same games as Forza and GT but with 1/10 of their budgets? Sorry but the way you are talking is like if you were doing a review of a typical online shooter and you came with a "but who cares about the mp"?

Let's be real - GTR2 drove fairly... bizarrely... at times. It's "simulation value" was questioned a hell of a lot of times early on in it's life. What wasn't questioned, and why is it now unanimously regarded as one of the greatest ever? Because it was a damn good game that happened to be a simulation. Or in other words : GTR2 doesn't have wiper blades. We cared in 2007, now no one remembers. ;)

Maybe it was regarded as one of the best ever also because it was built in one of those games that push forward the simulation aspect? For sure it wouldn't have been considered one of the best if it was built with the typical Milestone physics engine, let's say.

I think it's not that straight-forward if you think how much smaller fanbase rallying has when compared to circuit racing/trackday driving. Both titles have quite similar numbers on SteamSpy.

Now go and compare the budget, team size and marketing power of Codemasters vs Kunos.

Edit: plus for the casual gamer I'm not sure if track racing is really more popular than rally... this last one is generally much more spectacular.

Edit2: and DR is a more recent title

Last edited:
sorry to express my opinion, in fact I don't pretend chat about it, so you can easily jump to the next post, but it's a pity that the standard in physics it's gonna be ac as it seems, pity for you of course, not for me, because I see them so artificially and commercially done...Well if you enjoy them that's not bad at least.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back