PC2 Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg

First day back in the office for many this morning, what better way to pass the time than have a good discussion about the new Project CARS game?

Now the dust is beginning to settle around the recent release of Project CARS 2, we thought it a good time to look deeper into the game, driven by our community, and share our findings and impressions from the heavily hyped new racing title from Slightly Mad Studios.

Do you have some useful tips for getting the most from the sim? Found a magic setting to really unlock the FFB? Got a trick up your sleeve that helps bring sharper graphics for little FPS trade off? Or do you simply want to share your most / least favourite car and track combinations?

So long as it remains on topic, respectful and mature, we want to know your thoughts!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2.jpg

So I go into a race knowing this, all I have to do is hit the brakes when the other guy is behind me and he's going to get penalised when he hits me.
The other guy behind you can break and avoid the accident, the opposite is not true. That's why this rule is applied in real world here in France and probably in other countries (you have to stay the master of your vehicule, it is applied in F1 too).
Major issue is when developpers have a bad brain or bad intentions like in IRacing.

Last edited:
With a bit of polishing in the next months this game will probably become the main choice for a big part of our community these next years.

Just remember that pCars 1 was supposed to be a great base for a game to recevie updates for years, and all that. It turned out number 2 was in the works extremely quick after the first one. Nothing to indicate this wont happen again.

[QUOTE ="Puduku, post: 2585325, member: 257175"]Yep I don't understand either how you can have a good opinion on a racing game in less than 2 hours. Steam refund time is too short.[/QUOTE]

Steam refund time is very good actually. Way longer than a traditional demo, not to mention that there are games on Steam you can finish in less than 2 hours (short, cheap, but great indie-games). I also feel if a dev havenˋt been able to make a game thats fun/good in the first 2 hours... Thatˋs not my issue.

I was really excited for PC2 as the previous title over promised, but under delivered and left a sour impression.
Since release, I put about 6 hours into the title, mostly online. Couple things stand out-

It's an improvement over the PC1, but not an entirely new game. More of a 1.5 in looks and feels. Basically everything that was wrong with before, they just improved, but nothing ground breaking here. Most people will not abandon other titles for this one.

Online public racing is a mess. I was able to do 1 single race without somebody knocking me out completely. Somebody mentioned that the rating system made people behave better online- I have yet to see the evidence. It's hard to build your rating if you cant even finish a race due to getting ripped apart.

Graphics look nice on a monitor, VR unfortunately is not very clean. Shadows especially are terrible in VR and its kinda kills the immersion for me. It works fine, just doesnt look clean compared to say AC. I also have issues with my mouse pointer not always working in VR and have to constantly take off my headset to see what I'm pointing at.

The handling of cars still doesn't feel right. There seems to be this "weightless" mass. I don't know how many times I've seen cars being flipped into the air and getting literally kicked outside the track and falling through the game world. For a car to get flipped into the air, the speeds and angles have to be so great, that it doesn't happen all that often in real life. The mass and weight of the cars just don't seem right.
This also effects the handling- I still feel as if they glide on track and will step out randomly. I just took my e46 m3 that is track prepped (Cage, suspension, brakes, gutted, etc) to the track yesterday and if you ever pushed your car into the corner, the grip level is so high and you just know at what point the rear will let go. You can really feel the weight transfer from one side to the other. I dont sense any of that with PC2. AC does a better job with this, and RaceRoom maybe even more so, comparing to my experince on track.

Some positives include the huge amount of content, such as cars, weather, tracks. It all makes for good fun and the possibilities are endless. Unfortunately it still lacks something for me to make this my main "sim" of choice.

The poster saying a machine can just about tell whether a chicken is a chicken and not a horse had me in fits!

But in all seriousness it shows how tricky it is to write AI.

Which....is why online is so popular so you don't have to put up with it!!

Just remember that pCars 1 was supposed to be a great base for a game to receive updates for years, and all that. It turned out number 2 was in the works extremely quick after the first one. Nothing to indicate this wont happen again.
That game had so much issues they spend 6 months getting it to work properly, my guess is that it won't take that much time this time round as overall it's in a much better state from day one.

And yes WMD3 will probably start in the next months too, but that still leaves us about 2 years or more to play PC2 ;).

Exciting, heart-pounding fun is my overriding feeling after a couple of days play on both PC and Xbox One. It isn't perfect and there are many minor issues but none of them makes the game unusable. For me, pcars2 is a 9/10 game, best enjoyed with a group of like-minded and similarly skilled friends. After pcars1 I was very much in the doubters camp and expected more of the same, especially with the console version, but this is a much-improved experience.

Where pcars2 scores 10/10 is in VR. It is easily the best VR racing game in terms of both graphics and game performance, but I'd go even further than that and say it is currently the best VR game available. The cockpit graphics and scale are perfectly clear, it is just like sitting in the real cars. The draw distance and ability to see the track reference points is the best yet. Little things like how the internal camera and mirrors in the Acura GT3 get sun bleached at certain points on Le Mans is just stunning, trying to spot the flying LMP1 cars closing fast in the mirrors has never felt this real. Equally the way the Caterham 620R undulates over the surface at Knockhill, slithering through the apexes feels just right and I'm as discombobulated by a few laps in the pcars2 version as I am in the real car. VR wasn't supposed to be able to be this good yet, the clarity of the image and sheer range of real-world effects along with all the usual great depth and elevation perception has exceeded all my expectations.

The good:

+++ TX458 wheel feedback and effects are immediately good on both PC and Xbox One. I've had no problem at all getting the wheel to feel just right, on pcars I never found a setup I was happy with.

+++ Handling, car and track feedback. I feel able to learn the tracks just as I would for real, learning where the grip is especially on a drying track or as the track gets colder at night. Only AC had ever given me that real-world feeling before but this adds the day/night and weather cycles so goes one step further.

+++ The cars feel like the real cars. I've driven a handful of the pcars2 cars on real tracks and these cars feel like the real thing. Previously in pcars the road cars felt nothing like reality. Now they are incredibly close, the Megane 275 Trophy R, A45 AMG and Caterham 620R all feel right and have the real world characteristics of the car and my real world lap time abilities are pretty close to the in-game times too. I'm not claiming every car is spot on, I wouldn't know for many of them anyway.

+++ 4K game performance is stunning and stable.

++ Online stability and racing. So far this has been superb both on PC and Xbox One for our little group of friends. We've just been able to get on and race, none of the connection or lobby issues that dogged pcars. There is still some slowdown when people join and leave sessions but once the race begins it is stable. 3 fun days of just getting on and racing is a big improvement.

++ It's early days but the license system seems to have made this the best behaved public lobbies yet. Generally, people seem well behaved, yes occasionally a race start is still a bit messy but I've seen none of the absolute carnage that open lobbies from AC to Forza usually contain.

++ The weather deserves a special mention, Knockhill in Snow season, with heavy snow then a blizzard in Rallycross Mini's....looks just incredible and is way too much fun.

++ The penalty system seems to be working well online, minor track cuts penalised with brief slowdowns and time penalties if ignored and adding up to Drive Through penalties which also work.

The issues:

--- The AI, all said elsewhere so not repeating but I'll wait to play the career until it is patched.

-- Xbox One framerate is variable the One X will resolve this so again not a show stopper. It does mean for now Xbox one races are better left clear and dry, the weather really hits the framerate.

- Xbox One TX458 wheel suffers an occasional loss of all force feedback through the wheel (G920 seems unaffected). The oval tracks seem to be the worst but it also happened once at Sugo so there isn't a clear pattern.

- Being penalised for making contact with cars that are spinning or out of control feels a bit unfair but I accept the argument what else can be done.

Hi @MarkR, could you please share your VR setup ? I find the game still a little bit pixelised, even with my 1080Ti.

I had one wish for PCars 2 and it has been fulfilled: fewer FFB options and a better FFB out of the box. It’s not perfect and does not reach the levels of rfactor 2, AC or Automobilista but imo it is good enough. Having tried Jack Spades Tweakerfiles it feels even better. So happy camper here. Day to night transition is great, weather looks good though the grip levels in rain are still too unrealistic. I hope they polish this game the next month and don’t just concentrate on new dlc.

Not a PC2 owner at this point, gonna wait a spell, at least till the lumps and bumps are ironed out of the initial release. Enjoying reading the reviews so far, especially the ones that have honest balanced feedback.

Personally, I don't understand all those who are complaining that it's :poop::poop: in it's early release state, it's only been 3 days ffs. In fact, I'd like someone to name one game/sim that has been released in the past 3 to 4 yrs that didn't have some issues out the box on release, most game Genre's not just race sims need instant fixes/patches of some description on release these days. Just hope they get PC2 sorted asap.

Devs today have to cater to a massive field of variables in computer hardware, from mobo's, CPU's & GPU's that are 6+ yrs old, to the latest 7700k or higher CPU's & 1080ti GPU's running 4k monitors and/or VR. Catering to all those variables, while trying to keep everyone happy is not an easy thing to achieve, and rarely goes smoothly, PC2 is not immune to this, no game/sim is.

I have PC1, wasn't overwhelmed by it at all, but I'm not going to leap out and spend $112Aud on PC2 till I know it's what I'm after in a game/sim. I had a strong feeling it would be a bit bugged on release based on how PC1 was, so I'm refraining till I know it sorted, then I will spend some hard earned, and thankfully, all the reviews and vids will help me decide when that will be, if at all.

No offense, but don't gamer's use their grey matter these days, leaves me baffled to be honest.

Cheers

Gotta say, after reading many reviews, It sounds to me like PC 2 is again, not a sim. It is more everyday gamer focused. Having said that, I don't see how it will be any better and perhaps a lot worse than Forza 7. I'm not a Forza fanboy, but by the look of it and how successful that franchise has been I'm not sure where PC2 fits in. I personally was excited for PC 2 in that it is marketed as a sim and I was under the impression that this new game was going to improve driving and make it more realistic. It sounds like it doesn't do that at all. Everyone says the rain looks nice and so on. Where are the rave reviews of how awesome it feels? There just not there. So I'm not sure what PC2 is. An attempt at Forza 7? Sounds like Forza 7 will do it better.

See again when its on sale and all the bugs have been fixed haha ;)
any-minute-now-memecrunch-com-17017720.png

I dont have pc2 yet, but does someone knows how the AI in pc2 works?
It has a "performance" slider and an "aggression" slider. I don't know if it's using the player's physics, but it is very sensitive to changes in weather and type of car. It's mostly good, even excellent with modern slick tyres, racing you side by side, etc., but it can't handle some cars, it's too slow in the rain and doesn't work yet in the snow. The AI path on some circuits is also not ideal, so they are not as fast as they could be and wreck too much. Someone at SMS is going to be going over all that stuff specifically to improve it over the next few months.

I started testing the Clio on Zolder
I had Clio Cup at Monaco as part of my 2-hour trial, but quickly switched to the Mégane. :inlove:
I love the Clio in rF2, but it's messed up in PC2.

I’m running a fairly aged core i5 (admittedly k type overclocked) and a great 970. If you beat that spec you’re good to go.

Just bought a rift mainly for a new PC I will build in the next month or so (waiting for the new i5). In the interim I have the same spec as you is it worth setting it up for as in not too many compromises needed as I am dying to have a go but I can wait if it's not worth it.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 29 20.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 11.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 9 6.3%