Sim dash: what are the options?

Fellow racers, do you use a sim-dash? What's your preference and why? In my understanding, the options are:

1. On-screen dash on the monitor
2. Steering wheel screen inlay (eg. cube controls CSX)
3. Use an app in an iOS/Android device (which app you prefer)
3. Dedicated sim dash screens (diy, precision sim engineering ddu, others?)

Help me decide. :)

Simcore UD1-J Just hit the market. If the LED version is a bit much they make an equally impressive "just the screen" version. Simcore UD1-J
IMG_6327.jpg

Upvote 0
Fellow racers, do you use a sim-dash? What's your preference and why? In my understanding, the options are:

1. On-screen dash on the monitor
2. Steering wheel screen inlay (eg. cube controls CSX)
3. Use an app in an iOS/Android device (which app you prefer)
3. Dedicated sim dash screens (diy, precision sim engineering ddu, others?)

Help me decide. :)

if you like to tinker, SIMHUB - https://www.simhubdash.com/

Upvote 0
In use a secondary display based on Simhub and a Nextion 4.3"
At the moment it shows lap times, fuel, gaps, temperatures

Upvote 0
I am using SIM Dashboard and a Samsung Note. I like this option since I can design the dashboard or button box to look like whatever I want. I can customize for every game and or car. I have the Note attached on an adjustable mount so I can tune the position based on the car and game.

Another very useful feature of Sim Dashboard is that you can make tablet or phone-based button boxes which work very well. I prefer SimHub for normal dashboards and, apart from the physical LEDs, I can't see what you gain by spending a lot of money on a dedicated display when you can run SimHub on a 7" Amazon Fire tablet for £50 (or much less in a sale) and get virtually identical displays.

Upvote 0
Do you find functions in the screen limiting compared to a tabet? I am debating between a dedicated screen vs a tablet.

Functions as in? Adjustments? The screen is purely a monitoring device. I've done the Ipad, button box, and now I have a Stream Deck on my sim. Immediate adjustments are made at the wheel if so needed. Each program has its own layout on the Stream Deck.

IMG_3279.jpg

Upvote 0
Functions as in? Adjustments? The screen is purely a monitoring device. I've done the Ipad, button box, and now I have a Stream Deck on my sim. Immediate adjustments are made at the wheel if so needed. Each program has its own layout on the Stream Deck.

View attachment 395856

I was actually asking about function as in a monitoring device. What advantage do you think (if any) has a dedicated display have (like the Simcore one) vs a simple tablet/phone with Simhub/Sim Dashboard app?

The streamdeck is in my list of things to buy already. Great addition I think.

Upvote 0
I am using SIM Dashboard and a Samsung Note. I like this option since I can design the dashboard or button box to look like whatever I want. I can customize for every game and or car. I have the Note attached on an adjustable mount so I can tune the position based on the car and game.

View attachment 395660

Another very useful feature of Sim Dashboard is that you can make tablet or phone-based button boxes which work very well. I prefer SimHub for normal dashboards and, apart from the physical LEDs, I can't see what you gain by spending a lot of money on a dedicated display when you can run SimHub on a 7" Amazon Fire tablet for £50 (or much less in a sale) and get virtually identical displays.

I may be leaning towards that direction. Just want to know if there are indeed any advantages for a dedicated display. Are the tables (Android/Fire?) seamless, or does it need tinkering before start of the game? Any loss of connection issues in the middle of a game? Any issues at all?

Upvote 0
I may be leaning towards that direction. Just want to know if there are indeed any advantages for a dedicated display. Are the tables (Android/Fire?) seamless, or does it need tinkering before start of the game? Any loss of connection issues in the middle of a game? Any issues at all?
Using a tablet with Simhub and SIM Dashboard is very easy and extremely reliable. I have had zero issues. A complete no-brainer.

I have used default screens with Simhub and default and custom screens with SIM Dashboard. I am very impressed with how easy it is to make custom screens with SIM Dashboard. You can add and subtract gauges and buttons within seconds.

Upvote 0
Using a tablet with Simhub and SIM Dashboard is very easy and extremely reliable. I have had zero issues. A complete no-brainer.

I have used default screens with Simhub and default and custom screens with SIM Dashboard. I am very impressed with how easy it is to make custom screens with SIM Dashboard. You can add and subtract gauges and buttons within seconds.

Is the virtual button box feature easier with Sim Dashboard than it is with SimHub, and can the software be run at the same time. I use SimHub for my Buttkicker.

Upvote 0
Any issues at all?

Not really an issue, but I also run SimHub on an old iPad and have to turn off the automatic sleep setting before I use it.

Is the virtual button box feature easier with Sim Dashboard than it is with SimHub, and can the software be run at the same time.

I haven’t tried to make a button box in SimHub but it’s certainly easy to create one in Sim Dashboard. I run both apps simultaneously without problem.

Upvote 0

View attachment 395660
So that homages tablet look's better then the dash, I don't think so. So if I offered you either one or the other you would pick the tv tablet.

Upvote 0
I recently bought a dash off of Etsy one of these (except mine was a cheaper version ($189USD) that has the nextion screen), this one "replaces the Nextion screen with a top-of-the-line USBD480 display capable of displaying every Dash Studio dashboard in SimHub - maps, relative times, leaderboards - the sky's the limit! Even better, the Ultimate can use the amazing Z1 Dashboard software from Z1 (www.z1simwheel.com) and JRT (joel-real-timing.com) to even further customize your dash."

I'm going to use his go pro mount with one I bought off of amazon to mount it to my T300.

Upvote 0
@BillyBobSenna I like what you have done with the side button boxes. Were those DIY? They look like acrylic with carbon fiber plates? Also how did you mount them on the DD?
Thank you. I just installed them a few days ago. They are DSD PDW Panels. They connect directly to the holes in the front of the DD1. They also make the panels for other wheelbases. They are acrylic and I think simulated carbon fiber face plates.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea