Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Finally sorted my office out, not much, but better than playing on the sofa!

iWfS8C2.jpg

JamesU - there are only two things that I would do with your setup, since the pedals appear to be braced, is to make a simple frame so your office chair doesn't roll away and move the monitor to the back of the wheel (or build a little shelf to set the monitor over the wheel) so you can have a more realistic field of view.

JamesU - there are only two things that I would do with your setup, since the pedals appear to be braced, is to make a simple frame so your office chair doesn't roll away and move the monitor to the back of the wheel (or build a little shelf to set the monitor over the wheel) so you can have a more realistic field of view.

Hey!

The office chair doesn't roll because the wheels suck and the carpet is fairly thick, so i haven't had an issue with that..

My pedals are on a similar thing to the GT Racing Stand, i've just took the top part out, they don't move - could you find me a link to what you mean though?

And the FOV thing, the chair is low so the wheel is a fairly nice height to the screen, again - would you have a picture to hand to show me what it should look like when i'm sat behind it?

Hey!

The office chair doesn't roll because the wheels suck and the carpet is fairly thick, so i haven't had an issue with that..

My pedals are on a similar thing to the GT Racing Stand, i've just took the top part out, they don't move - could you find me a link to what you mean though?

And the FOV thing, the chair is low so the wheel is a fairly nice height to the screen, again - would you have a picture to hand to show me what it should look like when i'm sat behind it?

He meant move the screen closer to the wheel / your eyes, it's not about the height but about the distance from your eyes.
The close you get your monitor the higher FOV you can run (and still be within realistic FOV).
The shelf idea was probably just means to get it even closer, not higher. :)

Ahh alright, great. I understand it now.

The wheel when i'm sat on the chair is pretty much in line with the on screen wheel - i'll move the screen to the back of the wheel when i'm racing then.

Amazing how having a better seating position can improve your overall lap times!

Ahh alright, great. I understand it now.

The wheel when i'm sat on the chair is pretty much in line with the on screen wheel - i'll move the screen to the back of the wheel when i'm racing then.

Amazing how having a better seating position can improve your overall lap times!
What you should try to achieve (imo this is, opinions vary) is to remove the ingame wheel and have the ingame dashboard line up so that you see it through your own wheel as if it was the dash behind your wheel.

Is there a guide for this anywhere? I'd love to have a look!
Don't know of a single guide that will teach you everything, I kind of remember someone posting a good one here on RD but I'd have to go digging for it, but here's a few pointers;

Empty Box made a excellent video on FOV, what it does and why it's so important to get it right.
There's just one major flaw with the video as far as I am concerned, he talks a lot and fast while having lots of text on screen, I got a headache trying to follow them both at the same time, so I suggest watching it twice, look and listen first, then read the 2nd time;

@MrPix made a brilliant FOV calculator that you can use to calculate the right FOV for your setup, he also has a few explanations on the subject worth reading.
http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

Have a look at one of @Georg Ortner videos, he runs a very true to life setup using a 40" TV (if my memory serves me right) using the mathmatecally correct FOV, it looks extremely immersive and I will either go this route myself or get a VR headset later on;
(hard to tell he's even racing a sim here, as the camera angle hides the outer limits of the TV)
Another movie showing his setup from a side/back camera, so you can see how he has set it up;

I like to show you my nearly finished wooden rig. It was made entirely with simvibe in mind.and should be 100% adaptable to all possible drivers.
I have build a 8 channel digital amp for this. Now I have to make a monitor stand for my old 40" "Diesel"-Samsung TV (the tv needs up to 10 minutes to show a stable Picture).
sd8p3ZuKyZ7_FqKIfzzpYeFGzbVDZO4JxmqDBRhV9c-kQgVQKqsCB2aKbQuPGT30uf50evbuCtE5u6-Yr1ChbGd7LujymK5PoYTqT7CB-ne90U73tTa_SE_TEXHTfB_v81s5yIee5a09KZ6r_x6o6uVJB23DqMVbvkv4jEZDae3JizKhWgaP2wCQlZMRFgmroVeZEJMs9kATS-kF2_EhjdG0cocg5mRJomxMUH6OtFO97PuPg-DsrJallhVF9AyTgdKxqGzvlyKeokFW5SRW-as-7bIlYxgmFBOcDj0510w6-xNx2Up5lbW7tI6DBZngybi2IhYC-fgMx1s8fDp51FcfsnF0hXyByTXNXRdqJxdOmBNSfOnK7oCNQkwqDXJZQimxctYzLsz_X6IpU5LoSeplQMCtYhLcwI0YCHmrmtT-n85Z3jQr9_KBUhjweTnP9-Ll2m8-Z46l-uJ0SH4YECafudqZqEbwlYFuVvfScietNCIfn2CSIymTY42fXvLjAC9HNpGscrf9OYxZ_EJY7BTpk_VlQZMBx8uRmLK_bCs=w901-h675-no

On the front are Cheap 10 € "rattlers". on the back are more expensive 2x4 Ohm transducers. I hope these give a little more oomph.
Xc3gGpMV4JhhPQrzGNPEsBk05R6GD0N6VqvEr6qawUzdVrCo6C03hzG8EppIHk-jUSElIk4ixYG5LM1113T2yKf0Oo1C50bEgZkMl4Aadm56RD3NYi2gf6-aWSh8hotq1p8sUverM5kw0L6APgRYEA2rblsOEFsSiEBY0VY7vhTIkjxqPNp-FU3i_7DFgLr5yePl26x80sypfWBN4v1DBwQ8VMzHXo0_otX2QFrKh-gPXkMbU_7yBwpKxlfQ0mUQtRcnwHjOQdVXuKO-bA_9DFiKvuZTRkYzjcAgev21a0_KW6cnd1weBPctXrprYro2JioyviDBy-ats1o6PK9booocUA16osIGJKLerxOYpP_9m_YqrMTfTIb8xUGT3c-bM9-lVo3ngoC4VRjYKSmsjbRT1wjhDiKVIcaXgp7Pyk9Pi0ExZtHZvwa3Q87SH2MonUYRHW4T2R_3YVza8B4yYbU6q1j3jHlFYeYKrKQ0GeNk-ZFxiJ9-OAkH7s2NBvOaA7lWafyBHr5H4zDZdNKPU5hpgIOgH5gFC1BRY5zYAic=w507-h675-no

The seat has got 2 of the cheap ones in the back and underneath.
j6_Pn8i92UD5hVWyGd76GLmCOFaRcnECLVG-zcjpCqTvvkfFfiX19FBbqVy24SFEaWO5U1Blb_H7FH5fX7lRIa3b3SAhWsgpms1AP9QrlqKYlXqXhw9HKq8xQ5AtG4l7qYyU7Xb59RUYRWYLG_Z977kHWmgX8jEmJCGFUOHkShv8n_EHO_7eUkl3iVpS3njRs7MH7Pbcm7-08GepLwom1L8r0G4Qa3Jn-XGUqJ7BUTU2YXPLh6CrwFqnG2l7pWKkmu206gp6nMqh8tbPCt3ViE-JOw86A8QBrWEtS0N_9iW9N55zvXFDnYNG7ojsgfu8U39QugXUT-4jpptfuZFXqYl7MYnqht6clFscrRhTktSKypaoU3llhwtNdX9HNBzdJBIdSqjihZ6sgkig1xp0R0iq7YR3f5PuyeYzhFQKDh1z-8BTpauzJM8dgDu0wkDt7PV56ztUPj1DpcTVRIRH3bjNRRMYWsrI17T4thBrthIHGcYX-ETEmG6X8SvHaZqBhvUumQYSGdVLZDvoS63c97UaQZ9OnK_V162uZ4ks3i0=w901-h675-no

2 more for the pedals.
nFcZLf8AgNwW2aTurMXajcXpXLSpJH1rr4tmkl8Igi6_jsVSMLTiMDy5-AklXyc8YahKEmwKR1b_l9nuMA_q_2vyZ-rVgPxmuKhnuoIKqbP45UAYOJltF1kSeJWORMLdnVhGCLjoKqijcwOlY9M_W7jh274kVrfaBtUEIhUB1ijuq4ulvhJ-RgEz7YnefXFqUY74odzag7oQ7MqaqSL3YMXA386nhQ-3nviveZDGUP9N7N0bUmzjE0f3IwNUoz7VNxQ6Ylp4OIb7p5N1jo0gtUbFIDWSiX_g9yANaUU9I1LiclBkFUQ_ss6hoMX9PS51r-4Wn-m3rUqhOJPI_4h4IJUjXfMly5kY2nmrSGYQUG0dNmp0wJMyENycz3h0RqI4yI10puQMGKoKV0RykjV1jHL9mRO8faJ4cfhOZvcUMxzZXUQu65gZs2wN8LMZSqYOtJI45VbYhcDODAB8m2Y1hTxfb5F6lrfQFqEQgw7mGgBWFxdV3vCKiB70nm4S4SqjdMyFLhyW8VYFVquWNqAruJbeariw5kuvdCKpYJns7bg=w507-h675-no

It is made 95% of spruce (Fichte Leimholz in german) and a little beechwood (Buche), plywood, MDF...
HSizJyK5a0xqwOOIuJrlel8he-GMl3dEGsKbcRWZYfbXu-q_5XKXmKcOwZBxRPDCm3tAkCp5cFw3kyQwWHu1HcG4UDNMbse6rbWfe-BHrey_MLdVnX-4nkqrmeoMeEM62YFsQE5Z5OiJUC5H1rrUGgRJuRwojp704CYAhL57z6YOPFmA_8DTXOGIdf-j4CA9_YIIzbh-0XRHd0TnWcXZOikl-jT-keq61JdVj8X9YpiDJJSj2tGLaA8Fx0cMBTUja1TypMk69mr602EBmf8TqFaMXUzbTHAcmR0iv0gxcG4jRHhYtSnrtX8sxfVq0thIxdfCDQhNQpyP_FqaapFmaS-fE2PFWef-lokSJ71IssBRZ5rGAvgjjExih598fjNVCYmmGs54Nd9-eXutMMF9FwmgEF7AfPZ2WPgTYzfWxhWjBEVSWxKkvwuFcwQC9zklkpHXL0kICetAry6RrhwWjAFSDvcyGU3iNPlhNpylEDHDATxfzYwI7P9I2J-sDK9Pp8KygMj9NniurkS7I5664UbrQVeia6ml6jyBh5myOYk=w901-h675-no

...and a lot of nuts and bolts.
mXPzw1hirG6IyWXQmV6ocHbUUgw2GViCNv8lq1jpPo4w-nMbxXLrm6McnhVg30UW79frtgod_N6UGwmV8s0FedAxWCu64PvV0QFJhxlGQQ_R11wAVL1q7pHGnlveuvKqK9187kceAL-H1YEbdU4GFVw4I0rmG-JYs4cm6oet-p0QpESOxxs0YupJS6qmfYLV7PDwcRJVF9nFo_XCyj5_NoRxvjTnVAJcOfkBOBmpqjejOik3Zx9-QxkSdV4DW6-vhPprx2zUEmFRG_S0t4sCuQiYBkJZU_9qEhZ0-bfttlvDn22aPUX-3AKM4woce5dtcLqzWrZ5KArv_e4Zea49oGH4tuD7t8R3K9WDaIBo5XF9Yb_MzZ_AP_17cHpnQBswPodfJ5PYF95IpJMl-ZyR6aUU6omeVqGevrJX4VSLkihIRb8it9LoXxrZKLWa1cwg6j-jVvEcUdNL-8ODcDm_0N4GSXmfCNKyKvXuMETngeEGyPSMaQFWXCq6d3gZUyUfqqDJbtKn2JAczn1Zx_A7CdumPPBNpcjtb3HsVnuoMPI=w507-h675-no

I hope you like it. I am eager to try it out.

regards

Uli

Last edited:
What you should try to achieve (imo this is, opinions vary) is to remove the ingame wheel and have the ingame dashboard line up so that you see it through your own wheel as if it was the dash behind your wheel.

@Kjell Eilertsen , I worked with the wheel to dashboard tip an has really made a difference to the FOV (in game wheel off). Previously I have used MrPix an watched the Emptybox video an thought I had it correct, always had my screen a little above the wheel but now dropped it down. I now line up with the wheel an dash up/down then adjust FOV, not seat like I was doing before. It varies now a lot between cars by not keeping an default view like 42 on my small screen. The only issue I have now is the wheel diameter being so small the dash dials are a little obscure but rF2 an SCE are looking good now have to work on RR3. :)

@JamesU , nice clean setup there :thumbsup:

Last edited:
@Toymoi really clean setup, similar to mine except yours looks a lot more fixed and comfortable.

@heideracer that looks awesome, my father is a joiner by trade so i really love the craftsmanship in your wood skills, really really good. How do these kickers work though? Is it just bass that rumbles your butt?

@Paul BennettYup, it really does help with immersion. I lowered my monitor(s) screen a few years back to get the right line up. Here's the latest driver's eye views:

View attachment 113991 View attachment 113992 View attachment 113993 View attachment 113994
What size, make and model tv is that?
Any idea what kind of input lag it has?
Very nice setup, exactly the way I'd set up my rig if funds and space would allow it! Minus the wine glass that is, I'm more of a whisky kind of guy :D

@MrPix , missed the tag due to the typo, don't worry nobody died. I have followed your build on your site a little green envy here :p my setup is more getto or lets say cheap. My screen would just cover one of your wing mirrors :whistling:

@MrPix That wine glass, touch of class :D

Perfect FOV in those photos, TV is awesome!
Thanks man, a lot of hard graft and a 50th Birthday sorted that! Wine glass... try picking that up and drinking it with a VR wrestling sweatband on while in the pits!

What size, make and model tv is that?
Any idea what kind of input lag it has?
Very nice setup, exactly the way I'd set up my rig if funds and space would allow it! Minus the wine glass that is, I'm more of a whisky kind of guy :D
It's a 65" Samsung UE65JU7500 4K Curved TV, 17-21ms input lag. The 55" has higher and the 48" higher still! Easily the best visuals I have experienced to date and buttery smooth. Rig build is missing one component though... and in January I will have Motion back :).

I start with wine as I don't drink so much so quickly and can last me a race or 2, but by the 3rd pitstop I need a pee, so switch to Bourbon.. my racing IS affected shortly after this point!

@MrPix , missed the tag due to the typo, don't worry nobody died. I have followed your build on your site a little green envy here :p my setup is more getto or lets say cheap. My screen would just cover one of your wing mirrors :whistling:
Upgrading is a habit.. there aren't many sim-racers who don't want to improve their experience... it does get expensive, but I don't holiday or go down the pub or race on track very often so pour my hard earned in to my hobby.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.