Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Not your typical rig: a computer cabinet + DIY transducer platform and pedal box

I’m simracing for several years now, and since I do not have a spare room for it, I’m racing in the living room. That’s often asking for trouble :D. But my wife and I found a solution: a computer cabinet which can be used for normal use (browsing, e-mail etc.) and for racing as well. When the computer is not in use the cabinet is closed and you will hardly notice it: only the computer case is visible, nothing more.

This is what it looks like when the computer is not in use:
Cupboard%20closed_zpsmeam7w6k.jpg

Normal use (keyboard + mouse tray extended):
Normal use_zpscf8eeyri.jpg

My equipment: an Intel Core i7 at 4.4 GHz, nVidia GTX 970, 8 GB RAM, Logitech Driving Force GT, TH8RS shifter and CSR Elite pedals. The pedals have been built into a DIY pedal box (inverted).
Sony PS3 Eye camera with daylight filter + FreeTrack software for head tracking.
Games: Stock Car Extreme, Race07 + all add-ons, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Assetto Corsa, Dirt 2 and Dirt 3.

I’m using SimVibe as well (highly recommended), with 3 transducers / bass shakers. To isolate the transducers I have built a wooden platform with a foldable shifter holder. The transducers are mounted onto the platform and onto the DIY pedal box. Isolation is necessary, but kept simple: toy foam footballs cut in half and glued onto the bottom. They are cheap, but isolate VERY well. I got that tip from a subwoofer forum.

The pedal box (pedal height and width measurements came from my car :geek:):
Pedals 2_zps1bd6b67e.jpg

Pedals 3_zps3btprgdf.jpg

The transducer is mounted on the side panel of the box. I had it mounted on the back panel at first, but could not feel anything when my feet were resting on the bottom. When mounted on the side panel the whole box is shaking, that’s much better.
Pedals 1_zps7uzcojal.jpg

Pedals 4 shaker_zpsnvvxwga1.jpg

Molex power plugs are used for connection to the amp.

Foam footballs at the bottom (back ones are kept a bit higher so the pedal box is tilted a bit).
Pedals 5 bottom_zps6ktasofs.jpg

Pedal box built into the computer cabinet:
Pedals built in_zpsxhuwcavv.jpg

Pedals close up_zpsnyfveqpq.jpg

Cable mess :p
Shaker pedals_zpsqnbr6rat.jpg

Pioneer 60 Watts AV 5.1 surround amplifier (5 separate analog in- and outputs) powering the three transducers:
Pioneer amp_zpsvwwfh7ow.jpg

The transducer platform with shifter holder:
Platform 1_zpsstgejnw9.jpg

Toy foam footballs cut in half for isolation on the bottom:
Platform bottom_zps0m6bl2kc.jpg

Shifter holder with transducer.
Shaker shifter_zps97cbgxs4.jpg

(Note the Logitech touchpad: very handy when the keyboard + mouse tray is shifted in.)

Keyboard + mouse tray extended:
Keyboard and mouse tray 2_zpscnhpzrte.jpg

Keyboard and mouse tray 1_zpskqfb1dh9.jpg

Note: the DFGT is mounted on a plank, the plank is mounted to the cabinet with C-clamps so the wheel is extended from the cabinet and a bit higher for more comfort.

Let the race begin!
Race setup overview_zpss06b2os6.jpg

Race setup close up_zpstnmgv3uz.jpg

Lights out (more immersed):
Lights out_zpskgdjdngv.jpg

When not in use the platform is folded and stowed away:
Platform stowed away_zpsa1mygar6.jpg

If you have questions, just ask.
What do you think? Be gentle ;)

Last edited:
Below are a few pics of my sim racing "walk in wardrobe"
3x24" monitors
Modified Fanatec GT2 wheel
Fanatec Clubsport pedals
Derek Speare Shifter

2.jpg

All The parts before fitting!
12.jpg

.....and after!
15.jpg

Here's one of the finished setup in action...
I started a Youtube channel with some driving videos and I plan to add more with mods & builds included. Check it out if you have a spare 5 mins.....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVTUO7E9aU4cnWlgzCEhEGQ

getting close to turning some laps in the house stock car simulator. Hydraulic brakes, hydraulic clutch with 5.5" clutch cover, throwout bearing and sim racing "bellhousing" . Also will use an Andrews 4 speed shifter converted to sim racing. Eventually will have a remote mounted OSW wheel and steering shaft but the old T500 will have to do for now.
11148758_927832410573451_7973725463474891779_n.jpg
11351147_922432621113430_8521562046181029717_n.jpg

@Insert Coin : Genius, well done!
@enkay74 : Perfect! That looks so real and cozy. What was the donor car for the dashboard? The screens are perfect size for the dash.
@david baldock : I really like the red. I thought it would be over the top, but it really gives a sense of occasion and theatre.
Truly jealous of all these setups :thumbsup:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea