SFX-100 + Next Level V3 Owners Thread

Hello friends! It's me again back with another helpful and entertaining RD thread! This time focusing on combining motion's new kid on the block, the SFX-100 AC Servo full chassis motion solution with our current favourite seat mover, the Next Level Racing V3 Motion Platform. We already have extensive threads for either of these amazing pieces of sim racing hardware, you can read more about them both in the links below:

- SFX-100 / SimFeedback-AC DIY

- Next Level Racing V3 Motion Platform

This thread will focus on the owners or potential owners looking to combine these solutions for their sim racing motion experience. Looking forward to seeing everyone's input on getting the most out of this setup. Feel free to leave suggestion, questions, settings and profiles and anything in between. The other threads are huge now and have a lot of discussion, let's get this one up there, too!

@anton_Chez I was happy with the outcome ;) .. it still had 6 months warranty on it..

Regarding the V3 vs SFX100 - for me, the amount of play in the V3 mechanism was a dealbereaker... twice! I tried to love it but just could not come to terms with the wobbly seat I had.

I was one of the first here to build the SFX and have only had problems related to dodgy USB cables.... the system itself has been flawless.. not a single issue since I bought a good quality micro USB cable.
I read other peoples experiences about this and that going wrong with their build and maybe it puts people off but for me it was very straight forward.. and I’m certainly not an engineer or anything close..

No confirmation bias here.. I only run heave and surge on the SFX.. but the feeling of sitting in a sprung chassis gets me every time.. and is always a pleasant surprise...

The biggest upshot is knowing I can fix any issues myself.. because I built it!

Upvote 0
Maybe this has been asked before, but to the people who have both: if you had to pick one, which would you choose? SFX-100 or Next level V3?

I had have quite a few motions systems in the past and considering all pros and cons here's my final rating

1. SFX-100
2. GS-5
3. GS-4
4. NLMv3
5. SimXperience motion kit

As you can see the NLMv3 is in 4th place and the SFX100 is in first. It's not that i did not love the NLMv3, i really did. It's a very close tie between the GS-5 and the SFX100 at the first place. The NLMv3 and the SimXperience motion kit are also very close. If sound levels and footprint are not a factor to consider, i would put the SimX on the 4th and move the NLMv3 to 5th since the motion of the SimX kit is better, but it's very noisy.

Besides the immersion of driving, reliability is also a very important factor to me. The SFX100 is very serviceable and i have a spare piece of each component lying on the shelf. If something would break i will be up and running within an hour. I have been running the SFX-100 for over 6 months now, i was the very first public builder to complete one. Never had a problem once. Very reliable, great software.

The GS-5 is build like a tank and even though it still has to prove it's reliability in the long term, i'm very confident that it will last a very long time. After 1,5 hours of driving at max settings i took of the seat cover once and felt one of the servos. It was stone cold.

The GS-4 is known for having 16 servos which can all fail. But.... again you can fix this yourself and i always had some spare ones laying around.

The NLMv3 worked great for over 1,5 years, but i always feared it breaking down on me. The wobbly seat, caused by the slack in the gearbox, is not the cause of it breaking down, but it does make the construction feel less solid. When it did break down, i had to send the 25Kg package to the UK, from there on it was shipped to Poland. It took weeks and weeks before i was up and running again. That's my main gripe with the NLMv3. If it does breakdown, you are f...ed:D

Motion wise the SFX100 simulates the car, while the NLMv3 simulates the G-forces (to some extent).
There's a lot more detail coming from the SFX100. The NLMv3 provides better surge and sway.

It's not that the SFX100 can not do sway are surge, it does this very well. With the NLMv3 your position to the steering changes which makes these movement more pronounced but also less real.

With all 5 motions systems i have tried, you really can't go wrong, but the SFX100 is the clear winner in immersion, reliability and serviceability. On top of that the motion is just freaking awesome and a very special note must be about the pitch capability of this platform. With 10cm of movement you have a lot of pitch available when going up or down the hill. In games like Dirt Rally 1/2 or even a lap around the Nordschleife this is a game changer and one of my favourite effects of the platform.

Upvote 0
To answer the question, it's actually a difficult one. There are many pros and cons for each and each person would need to decide which parts suit their needs most. For me personally? I don't totally regret building the SFX-100 (my Simlab chassis was a perfect fit for it and I already had this before I decided to build) but there are sometimes that I miss the simplicity of my V3 setup. Everything just worked. With the SFX-100 build I find little gremlins popping up all the time. Just tonight I had some during race night that made things incredibly frustrating. But this is not just limited to the SFX system, it's just that it's new and I still have to iron a few things out.

The great thing is, whichever one you choose you are adding an incredible amount of excitement and immersion to your sim racing experience and there are PLENTY of people using either around here to offer help and assistance, opinions and feedback.
The NLMv3 and the SFX-100 are both very good solutions that try to do the same thing, but in very different ways. Like you, I do miss the simplicity of the v3: it started automatically with my PC, I didn't have to strap a harness on to feel braking forces, one profile suited most of my vehicles, and I could depend on it working first time every time without occasionally glitching out. The full chassis movement of the SFX is fantastic, but I think the v3 did cornering and pitch/surge forces better, and the SFX possibly needs an active harness and traction loss adding to it to complete the package.

Both do what they do very well though. I think most people would be happy with either.

Upvote 0
@Mascot You just brought up another point. Do you think it would be worth installing a 4 point seat-belt on an NLRv3 system? Or did you only add a seat belt after you went to an SFX-100 system?

Maybe something like this? I have an 8020 frame under my seat which should make this pretty easy to bolt on. Even though I have no through seat holes, I think that with the belt and chest buckles it would stay in place pretty well.
https://www.amazon.com/Tanaka-Points-Harness-Comfort-Shoulder/dp/B07KDKRDPG

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Mascot You just brought up another point. Do you think it would be worth installing a 4 point seat-belt on an NLRv3 system? Or did you only add a seat belt after you went to an SFX-100 system?

Maybe something like this? I have an 8020 frame under my seat which should make this pretty easy to bolt on. Even though I have no through seat holes, I think that with the belt and chest buckles it would stay in place pretty well.
https://www.amazon.com/Tanaka-Points-Harness-Comfort-Shoulder/dp/B07KDKRDPG

Thoughts?
I never felt like I needed one with the v3, but I definitely do with the SFX.
They're a pain and a faff TBH, and I'd rather NOT have to strap myself in every time just to feel the braking forces in the SFX. But it does add to the immersion.
I know a lot of people do use harnesses with the v3 to help feel the forces. Some people even use them with static rigs - WTF? Some even odder people were crash helmets.

Upvote 0
Harnesses are great no matter what configuration your rig is in. I've only used mine on the motion platforms (both the V3 and SFX) but I wouldn't rule out using it on a static rig as well. It adds to the 'racing' feel.

Upvote 0
I depends where you mount it to. You're meant to mount the fixed points to the platform, not to a fixed point as it might stress the motor. You feel a difference because the motion is moving you around. It helps it feel less like a toy and more like the real thing. It's still good without one, and I agree with Mascot that it's a pain in the ass to get into, but you notice a difference and when I really want the full feeling I strap myself in.

Upvote 0
...and I agree with Mascot that it's a pain in the ass to get into, but you notice a difference and when I really want the full feeling I strap myself in.
My problem is that I'll strap myself in, raise the rig (which is akin to getting vacuum packed like a leg of lamb as the harness tightens) then find my mouse/beer/phone/remote/HMD just out of reach.
Every.
Frikkin'.
Time.
:roflmao:

Upvote 0
I can easily mount it to the fully moving 40x80 sections on the outside for the waist belt and the shoulder straps either to the inside of the 40x80 or possibly the bolts extending on either side of the seat bottom transducer mount if that is a solid enough place to mount them. Although it might feel unnatural of the shoulder straps added a feeling of vibration to your shoulders.

I think this is more of an issue of whether there is enough increased immersion to bother with and whether I get tired of strapping in. I may have to try it out and see. It's possible I'd consider it a giant PITA and pull them off.
SeatTransducer_3983.jpg

Upvote 0
I can easily mount it to the fully moving 40x80 sections on the outside for the waist belt and the shoulder straps either to the inside of the 40x80 or possibly the bolts extending on either side of the seat bottom transducer mount if that is a solid enough place to mount them. Although it might feel unnatural of the shoulder straps added a feeling of vibration to your shoulders.

I think this is more of an issue of whether there is enough increased immersion to bother with and whether I get tired of strapping in. I may have to try it out and see. It's possible I'd consider it a giant PITA and pull them off.
View attachment 301088
For the NLR it’s recommended by the makers not to use seatbelts on the static rig as it strains the motors beyond their limits. It would work for a while but it will break it eventually, like some people who mounted their whole rig onto the NLR.

With anything for longevity you don’t want to be running at or just over spec.

I used them on a static rig as they came standard with the NLR GT Ultimate, I just did it for the added immersion of strapping in. Same as with now I’ve mounted them to the rig rather than the floor as I don’t want to be crushed in under breaking like @Mascot.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys, need some objective opinions regarding the Next Level v3 Motion platform.

I have had a mixed first year with the unit. I had a squeaky unit that was repaired in Poland, came back and still squeaked so their engineers eventually decided to replace the unit with a new one and use mine for a design review to find out what the issue was. Eventually the new one arrived (NL are quite slow at the RMA process but Matthew seems very helpful, just a little too laid back for my UK expectations of customer service speed).

The new one hasn't started squeaking yet but I immediately noticed its a lot noisier on the fans, more of a whining noise. Previous one was so quiet I used to leave the unit on accidentally all the time. New one, the whole of my house downstairs (its open plan) can here it in idle mode. See attached video. I would like to know what is deemed acceptable and what is not in noise terms? Did I get lucky the first time or is this new one unacceptable in product terms as £2000 is a lot of money to spend on something. NL keep banging on about being the best quality you can buy, but so far my year experience with their unit and customer service is a little off that expectation. What is your (unbiased) take on this issue? Is it perfectly reasonable for me to be demanding a resolution on this issue? what do your units sound like?

Here is the video link......
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap1q0Vef_BAWkf0vhc9vKnRM7Fgwpg

Upvote 0
My fans were audible but never noisy. There is the odd time that the fan spins slightly faster and louder for a second and then goes back to normal. For fans might be stuck on that mode. You can actually change the speed but you need an administrator tool for that. Mine never squeaked at all.

Upvote 0
I can't really hear anything much in that video, and this is someone for whom the SFX coil whine is like torture.
I don't think I ever heard the fans on my v3. Not that I can remember, anyway.

Upvote 0
I just received a replacement unit from next level after sending my original for a minor repair (broken usb connector socket), as they lost mine in transit. Agreed they are painfully slow but Matthew is very good with communication . First thing I noticed is fan is definitely louder. I never switched old unit off but now I switch it off every time and keep forgetting to switch it on until game has launched. Lost all my old game settings and new software version seems to have sooo many sliders to adjust, I think they should provide a university course to learn how to adjust this beast.

Upvote 0
I Lost all my old game settings and new software version seems to have sooo many sliders to adjust, I think they should provide a university course to learn how to adjust this beast.

All (or most, depending on when you last updated) of those extra slider settings should disappear when you power up the v3 and revisit the profiles. Always catches me out after an update but they are for other motion platforms.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea