Sector 3, what was the reason again that we can't use custom skins?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
We're now approaching the end of another GT season and we had to jump through hoops to get all the different cars on the grid.

For next year customs skins are really a must and still don't understand why R3E doesn't allow it's members to use a drag and drop folder to run some races with skins.

If it's really a money thing (because custom skins are sold in the shop) then at least give your fans a paid option to insert a skinpack or something.

Money from us R3E players won’t be the most important issue I guess. Maybe the biggest reason is because they sell their services for custom championships. When I look at the past Mercedes challenge, it suggests that’s their main source of income.

Would be great though if they change their policy on this. When I look at the great custom liveries for example in RDGPC S6 it’s quite shitty that Sector 3 doesn’t make it possible to use custom liveries... :(

Georg has mentioned several times on his streams that he wouldn't be surprised if custom liveries eventually found its way to R3E. And he fully admitted he'd like that option himself if I remember correctly. They know.

I'd guess it's partly due to memory concerns, as people using different (and hi-res) liveries could quickly spiral out of control I think. I mean some of the tracks already strain R3E's memory limits. But we now know 64bit R3E is finally coming, so that might help.

Also, bear in mind that this might be something that's completely out of S3's hands. For all we know, everyone at S3 might really want custom liveries, yet they might have no say in the matter as they're not the ones calling the shots.

Also, bear in mind that this might be something that's completely out of S3's hands. For all we know, everyone at S3 might really want custom liveries, yet they might have no say in the matter as they're not the ones calling the shots.
This would be my bet. S3 are developers and racers, I'm sure they would love to give us the option for custom liveries if it were up to them. But it's the powers that be who decide where the sim goes. They'll have to wait until R3E in it's current form has been milked dry, then perhaps they can push for other, less lucrative features to be implemented.

Georg has mentioned several times on his streams that he wouldn't be surprised if custom liveries eventually found its way to R3E.
Then I hope they aren't going to wait with it until it's too late and R3E is being overlooked as a possible platform for e-sports.

I absolutely loved how smooth the game was to work with with RDGTC, drives great, easy to setup the server, looks great on broadcasts and the awesome sound work of Anthony Monteil makes this game a true successor to RACE 07 but the lack of league tools (driver swaps, day night cycles, no custom skins etc) is really holding the potential down.

There are still people out there that like driving against real liveries and not the oft seen horrendous mod livery. :p

For all the decent liveries you see sprout up in the livery comps RD runs, you see exponentially more awful ones that people use on iRacing or Forza for instance.

The restriction to keep quality is one thing that RR does well imo. Of course, many people like to see games completely open to adding in whatever you want... but we already have enough of those in the genre as well imo. Keeping a tight first party package is one of the things RR excels at.

If there would be a way to hide custom liveries if that feature ever comes, that would be nice. Or do something like AC where you dont see custom liveries at all.

Georg has mentioned several times on his streams that he wouldn't be surprised if custom liveries eventually found its way to R3E. And he fully admitted he'd like that option himself if I remember correctly. They know.

I'd guess it's partly due to memory concerns, as people using different (and hi-res) liveries could quickly spiral out of control I think. I mean some of the tracks already strain R3E's memory limits. But we now know 64bit R3E is finally coming, so that might help.

I believe he also mentioned in one of those streams that it was a business thing. They sell liveries, they pay license fees for said liveries, if they were to allow people to use their own custom liveries then nobody would bother buying the liveries S3S paid for.

Personally, I have a very hard time paying for liveries in the first place.

It's possible. It's hours of content and just a few fleeting mentions, I certainly don't claim I remember it all perfectly.

Personally, I have no real problem paying 30 cents for a livery.

There was a conversation some time ago on one of their blogs about being able to "purchase" a skin design slot on a specific car.

That way the game owners are kept happy as they are still being allowed to generate revenue.

Whether that will still happen I don't know.

Maybe one idea (linking in with the esports series) is if a sim racing organisation (like RD for example) had an agreement with Raceroom/Sector3 to have a custom livery set installed into the game that only they could have access to. Create a separate class (RDGTC for example) within the game and there would be the series with all the custom liveries. It would be private, only seen by the group (password/pin/linked to steam number). This would then be switched off/deactivated after the end of the league.

I doubt it would be for free but requirements could be we would have to maybe use some sponsors of their choosing?

Anyway, just playing with ideas.

I agree with both sides of the argument though, you kind of know what you are going to get. No messing with skins, mods, track packs. It just works out of the box.

On the other side it would be nice to have some flexibility with custom liveries. The rest of the title I'm fine with. Track and car selection is perfect for me so far.

I agree with @Bram Hengeveld though, when I was watching the RDGTC feed the other night, the overlay and just the general way the game streams to viewers is very professional and looks great.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back