Season 4 Race 4 Melbourne

Grats all the survivors! :)
Congrats Tim, Janek and Dmitry!!!

Q: Was not fast (too far from PB), but that was enough to be in top 10 (P9)

R: Good start... and then I was taken away in T1 by someone... After rejoining the track (P14) I followed David Turnbull and waited for his mistake, which finally happened in Sector3 :) After that everything was going fine till that MASSACRE in fast right hander... Totally disappointed. My racing pace here is much better than qual pace, so I was planning to gain some points for sure. Not my day :)

I have to say sorry to some guys for destroying their race. :-(
Spun my car in T 4, car wassen't damaged so i decided to try and continue, but i stood in a very bad spot and people kept hittin' me.
Sorry again guys for blocking the road.
Could have been a great race otherwise.
Grats to the podium and all the other finnishers.
Hope it will go better in the next race.

Greetz,

Andy.

:( I was also among the dead, I didn't slow down enough when I saw some smoke up ahead, I got around Andy but hit the wall, car in OK shape at this point,

I scraped down the wall for a bit and just bumped Nico, then the rest arrived and that was that.

Apologies for trying to continue with a wheel missing, my man said susp damage (he was not kidding) I didn't realise straight away that this was the case and nearly took out Per and Nico whilst they recovered from the carnage.

What was the final death toll in the end?

Jim

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I failed to anticipate that the race track had become a car park too. My race ended with more than a passing resemblance to the end of “Vanishing Point”.[/FONT] :biggrin:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Looking forward to Sepang guys.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thx to everyone. :) Happy Birthday Bob!
[/FONT]

Grats to all winners!

Q:
I was last of all.

Race:
My race was not that far, but we had rather nice weather.

The ending.
An expensive automobile graveyard was revealed in the right turn after I passed the Sports Centre on lap 2.
I could not avoid running into the rubble. Such is life.
I tried to leave the place, but there came Per and crashed into my car.
He could not avoid that, I was standing in the race line and was to slow leaving.
I'm really sorry I got in the way for you Per, but the next car behind mine...

Thanks all for one intense lap:smile:

CU in Malaysia

Q: Okish, a couple of 10's away from my pb, good enough for 16th.

R: I made quite a few places and was 10th after a couple of turns. Had practiced race distance and felt comfortable. Suddenly at lap 2 I see Andy and Alex at a fast right hand corner and I am not able to avoid them. I end up on the grass and curb in the exit of the corner and try to reverse away finding that I am stuch at the curb. I got away in the end and limped to the garage with various damage. Leaving the pits I find myself 17 seconds behind the second last dude and I do mistakes as my motivation is shattered. Shortly after I end my race.

Looking at the replay and experiencing it myself it was little anyone could have done different and it was a true race incident (except that Andy could not have crashed in the first place, but sh** happens ;). Question is if a restart should have been called. With 11 out of 20 out in one accident on the start of lap two it could be argued that not calling a restart is an awful waste of a lot of people's preperation. Views on this would be interesting.

I've looked at the replay and a total of 11 cars are involved.

EDIT: One thing though, looking at Mr B's video, some drivers could have been spared if those with wrecked cars blocking the road had pressed escaped off the track. Then again everything happens fast and I didn't press escape myself (but I wasn't standing in the middle of the road either).

I think if we were to have red flags and restarts we would need a race director in the server that was not racing, I don't know if this would be possible?

It is the first time something this catastrophic has happened tho, In the history of Presto I don't think we've ever had a prang as bad as this

Jim

I'm not so competitive myself, and so restarts would not bother me, however, I'd let the race run no matter what happens so that the pressure remains on us not to crash in the first place.

Plus Div 2 has no such option unless a "race admin" is appointed with the power to call it.

Nicolai Nicholson said:
EDIT: One thing though, looking at Mr B's video, some drivers could have been spared if those with wrecked cars blocking the road had pressed escaped off the track. Then again everything happens fast and I didn't press escape myself (but I wasn't standing in the middle of the road either).
That was me standing across the track without three wheels :(
Sorry guys! First of all I thought I could continue, I could not believe that the race was over for me. When I realised I were standing on the racing line I pressed ESC, but you know it takes few seconds to quit a race...
If RaceDirector decides to punish me I will accept that.

Somehow :confused: I found myself to blame for the crash in T1 today , that really sucks .:thumbdown::thumbdown:

My apology to Martin, Per and for whoever I destroyed his race.:frown:

Congrats to Tim, Janek and Dmitry.
Cheers

That was me standing across the track without three wheels :(
Sorry guys! First of all I thought I could continue, I could not believe that the race was over for me. When I realised I were standing on the racing line I pressed ESC, but you know it takes few seconds to quit a race...
If RaceDirector decides to punish me I will accept that.

I think we were all a bit "shell shocked" at first, I tried to drive away with only three wheels, it took me 1/2 a mile and two spins to realise it was over

Jim

I did go to this race with a good feeling, ive worked hard to get a pretty fast race speed. So i had intentions to fight high up in the field today.
I didnt reach my pb in qualifying, but it was good enought to 7th. (nice clean lap, no cuts)

I had a good clean start, hold my position until T1, there i got rammed from behind(looks like it was you Anthony, apology accepted), pluss a car out of control came over the grass on the inside and rammed me from the side(Martin, who also was hit behind by Anthony). I didnt stand a chance to avoid it and my car spun out into the gravel. I got some suspension damage, but was able to continue with reduced speed on 18th place, I was hoping to run like this until my scheduled pitstop, the car was not easy to drive. Then on Lap 3 i was driving alone into turn 5 (highspeed) when i suddenly realised there where a "rent a wreck" shop in the midle of the street, as i had to much speed i had no chance to avoid this either, i think i first ran into a backing Valter, then into the wreck of alex galuytin. Hope your necks are ok after this impact. :). After this i managed to limp into the pits for an major overhaul. After the pitstop, the car handling was not good, something went unrepaired. i tried to stay on the track, but it was to hard. So i went back into the pits on lap 7, fixed the susp one more time, and changed tyres (thought i could pull a button strategy, hehe) from there i drove fairly conservative to save my tyres, i was too far behing to fight anybody anyhow, hoped i could stay on until the end, but 3 laps before the finish, my tyres where totaly worn out, so needed to pit again. I really didnt wanted to quit this race as points where up for grabs. So even with all this trouble i managed 7th place.

To bad we had alle accidents, as i feel i could had a very fun race today.
Sorry for all the non finishers, better luck next time.

Per Andersen

qualifying was terrible for me, 0.6 from my pb and i wasnt happy, so i started 11th on the grid....

race starts, all fine, gain a few positions then lose them again in the first few laps, but felt decent everyting was going not bad until "THE CRASH!" i came round with someone on my tail and i about sh*t myself, my first reaction was to brake, then i saw a gap so i went for it unbeknown to me there was a car on an incoming trajectory about 6 feet off the ground, it landed ontop of me, bounced off then out of the track i think lol i remained unscathed from this and carried on only to find 2 cars against the wall facing each other (i think they were swapping ideas on what just happened) so i hit the back of one car and come to a rest nose to nose with another lol i tried to push out but wasnt going anywhere fast so reversed a bit and got on my way in 7th place,i pitted on this lap to fix front suspension damage that id picked up in the melee, from there it was onwards and upwards(slightly) i got 6th when another driver dropped out ahead, i made loads of errors, plenty spins and more than once kissed a wall, but i remained in the luck, i even had a dreaded nvidia freeze for 20 seconds, when the screen came back i was in the same place as vettel was last week lol lucky again that no damage, im happy but im not silly enough to think i couldve got 6th on my own, i had alot of help along the way.

1 or 2 cuts in the race, but im happy enough for anyone to check as none of them made any impact on my times and hindered my progress more than anything.

bad luck to the guys who didnt finish, and well done to podium and the others who limped home.

and about the restarts, i wouldnt be adverse to having a restart if theres a certain amount of cars taken out during the 1st lap, but any further than this then the show must go on, this was a one off crazy experience and i dont think it should cause a debate for 1 incident (granted a MONUMENTAL! incident).

I bought an ATI video card and it seems my luck has changed.

Qual - Put in a decent lap early on and it lasted at number 1 for a fair while. After Rune beat it I thought I was gonig to be able to steal it back but I just couldn't put a good lap together. In the end I was very happy to be start on the front row.

Race - Got off the line well and managed to take the lead by T1. I nursed it around for the first lap or so desperately worried about getting on the power too early and saying goodbye to another race. As a result I was really quite slow. Rune was all over the back of me. Before too long there were lots of messages appearing on the screen regarding a disaster on another part of the track. I managed to stay calm and focus on the job at hand but was sadly still slow!

Rune chased me for a lot of laps before trying a creative move through the fast chicane. I hadn't really considered he might try something there and apologise if I was a bit clumsy as we touched. I managed to hold the position and he lost a couple of seconds, but they were quickly accounted for with Runes pace. He eventually got me with a nice move around the outside (if i'm remembering correctly) in the first sector. He quickly drove away and began considering an opportunity lost. Not only was he faster, but now he was also in front of me. 3 laps later he spun and I managed to slide past. Unlucky Rune you had me well covered here.

Soon Janek was on my tail and it began to play out very similarly. He was fast I was slow, but it wasn't easy for him to find a way through. To my suprise he also tried a creative move in the fast chicane which had very similar results. I decided to pit a lap early to ensure he didn't get past me in the pits. He stayed out and I just needed a smooth stop to hold position. First I missed my pitbox, then I realised I cant get reverse by dropping down the gears, then I managed to find the nuetral button and get back onto the box. My outlap involved a minor bit off lawnmowing but I managed to sort of hold it together. Again I considered what might have been...

But it seems all my bad luck of this season was reversed and somehow I went through still leading by two seconds. From there on Janek was all over the back of me for the first half of the stint but then dropped back a bit and I had some breathing space. Brought it home very gently for my first win. Very happy.

It would have been nice to win on a day with a few more finishers, but with my like I'll have to take the victorys where I can. Bad luck to all involved in the incidents, it really is miserable.

Also big thanks to Werner for the new Aqua Vista skins. In terms of aero I think we lost a fair bit of straight line speed but they seem stable and reliability problems are a thing of the past. Once I'm used to this new chassis I'm sure we'll have some pace and I wont be holding up Rune and Janek anymore.

Congrats all finishers and [FONT=&quot]commiserations[/FONT] all non finishers.

I watched the replay just now, and i made a real mess of this race :-(
Sorry again to all involved, but i just couldn't get out of the way in time, everything was happening soooo fast.
This accident kinda reminds me of the big crash at the start in Spa, few years ago.(i was actualy at that race)
I guess sometimes these BIG crashes just happen in real and in simracing.
Still it sucks bigtime tho, sorry again.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back