Screen freezes when someone 'left the race'

Hi guys

This is my second race in a row that I'm having this issue. Everything goes fine in the race until someone decide to left it. Then, my screen freezes for a second, or two, (the car too) and after that it continues without any problem, until other driver 'leaves the race'. I've lost some positions dued to this, and ended in the grass while I was taking a turn several times. I've never had this issue before.
I'm using a Nvidia GTX760 GPU and no a apps running in the background.

Could anyone point me to a solution?

Thx

I had this exact problem at the Flat 6 Silverstone race, as soon as someone left the server during a race I would lag/warp backwards.
Can be very scary, was lucky not to cause an accident, I never had it before.
So I thought what have I changed in my rFactor 2 install, and I installed a new plugin for Dashmeter I have since deleted the plugin and all seems fine(on other race servers not RD servers)
So maybe a dodgy plugin caused it? I don't know or maybe just a bad connection to the servers that day, hopefully it doesn't reappear :unsure:

Big grids are always a bit risky. But the RD server should handle the load more then fine.

On the user end you can check your "rF2 network settings" and your ping and others players pings.
Network settings:
- in the multiplayer lobby at the bottom: click on "network settings".
- Up and download should be 256kbs or more.
Don't enter more then your connection can handle, mine is set on 256kbs and i didn't had issues at Silverstone.

Ping check:
During practice in fullscreen "replay view"
- press "ESC" (= live view)
- press "TAB" = it will show the drivers name labels with ping number.

During the Silverstone race Ping was OK. Only 1 person had a ping above 100ms. +300ms is a problem. Below 150ms it should be OK. Lower is better ofcourse.

We have encountered similar things before on the RD server. We had solved to problem with the servers CPU affinity settings to separate server installs. Maybe those settings are working counterproductive with current build or it might be a rF2 bug. Anyway something for @Daiman Patel to bite his teeth in. :)

We have encountered similar things before on the RD server. We had solved to problem with the servers CPU affinity settings to separate server installs. Maybe those settings are working counterproductive with current build or it might be a rF2 bug. Anyway something for @Daiman Patel to bite his teeth in. :)
Unfortunately the affinity has to be set for each server else we would begin to experience problems with GetMod (I believe this issues still hasn't been fix, but it requires further investigation), but I don't think this would necessarily have an adverse effect (unless the core is being maxed-out, but I have never seen this). In addition, the process for each server is set to have higher priority over other processes. So rF2, on the server, is being setup in a way that should enable it to work without (many) issues.

It's possible that net-code may be partially at fault, especially when there are a large number of people on the server. When you switch between sessions memory usage goes through the roof, and you begin to see stuttering when you're close to other cars (in addition to the large lags). However, this doesn't seem / appear to occur when there are fewer people on the server, which is why I believe the problem can be attributed to the number of people on a server and memory usage, more than processor usage. But as I say, this will require some thorough analysis at the server end; it can't simply be put down to a client issue this time.

By the way, just so you know, you can check your own ping whilst on track by pressing '2' on your keyboard, as long as you haven't changed your button bindings. ;)

I removed all versions of rf2 other than the one and it stopped happening, tip from another site.
Interesting suggestion, but I'm not sure why exactly this would have an effect since each install is standalone. The only thing they share, as far as I'm aware, are the contents of the .rFactor folder in ...\AppData\Roaming. In addition to my main rF2 install, which I use for nearly all racing, I have 4 further installs, and I didn't experience anything like the sort of lag demonstrated in that video. There was some stuttering, but I just put this down to the server (I've seen it many times before, when there are large grids and if the server has been running for some time). But who knows, maybe I'm just lucky. If you don't mind could you please send me a link to the article you are referring to Jeff? Maybe they'll have some more information that I'm missing; still in the learning game! :thumbsup:

@Daiman Patel. It wasn't an article, over at CMS everybody was having the entrance and exit freezes and one of the guys uninstalled, removed all secondary instances of rf2 , did a registry clean of rf2 and it worked for him. So I tried it and it worked for me too. It probably has something to do with net access rather than the game itself. Something in the registry. Who knows but I have zero lags now.

Edit: Maybe older builds of rf2 might be hanging in the registry

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back