SC2 wheel - wireless or USB?

I guess I'm now set for a SC2 (Sport) instead of a Fanatec DD. As I'm missing any opportunity for real-life testing both systems, I have to go with theory. Those theoretical reasons are:
- Slightly better reviews
- Less software stuff to play around (see Fanatec EBM-software-update instructions)
- More manufacturers involved. If a component breaks, it can be replaced (possibly from another manufacturer). I understand that others will see it differently, e.g. "everything from one hand". To me the SC2 environment remains a little more "open".
- Martin Ascher's response to a compatibility question I raised. Incredible. This is where I want to put my money.

Anyway, now we get to the next question: Wireless or USB wheel? The old man inside of me says USB because you can't replace a real cable (just by a better cable of course:)). There seem to be very few stories about ACTUAL shifting problems and weak connections. But few > zero. On the other hand I don't want a cable dangling that actually is not needed.

Does anyone have experience with both connection systems? Any real risk involved with wireless?

• Deleted member 197115

I have heard Granite is working on v2 of their wireless module, but that has been a while, before COVID-19.
USB is bullet proof though, been using Ascher's plate for 5 years, not a single miss to day.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

There is always a risk to snap a cable if servo goes haywire ignoring bumpstops, which shouldn't happen unless something is really wrong.
I've been through two servos, old Argon OSW and SC2 Pro, and cable is the same as day one.
Would I prefer full wireless, yeah sure, but not in the current state.

Upvote 0
I'll probably jinx myself by saying this but I haven't had any issues with my SRB wireless wheel and that's with it being connected to a 1st batch base that has no antenna.

Most of the reported issues seem to be with the Ascher versions but then I suppose they'd be the most popular/highest selling choice out there which could skew the numbers?

Upvote 0
What option did you choose? Curious for my shopping list.
Also, why not skip Ascher and go Cube Controls? Cube Controls can be connected directly so if wireless is hit or miss, just get a coiled USB and you're good to go, or am I missing something?

Upvote 0
@TedBrosby- : No definite choice so far (stuff isn't available at the moment anyway). Asked Martin Ascher about what concept is more trouble free and he answered about all the good and bad of the systems (as far as he sees them). As a side note he mentioned the absence (ATM) of analog controls and that there are generally less options with wireless.
Which made me look at the F64 and what can I say? I wanted a GT3 wheel in leather. And it looks like I'll order a formula wheel in Alcantara.
Why would I do something so stupid?
- It would have all the controls ever needed
- Clutch system. I would only need one for standing starts and the 2-clutch-paddle-solution seems to be exactly the solution to this.

Cube Controls would of course also be an option. I have started communicating with Martin about Buttonbox compatibility and lots of details and I can only say: This guy breathes simracing. This and the undisputed quality of those products didn't make me look further (almost, of course I had a look on all those other fine wheels out there...:))

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What option did you choose? Curious for my shopping list.
Also, why not skip Ascher and go Cube Controls? Cube Controls can be connected directly so if wireless is hit or miss, just get a coiled USB and you're good to go, or am I missing something?
I could be wrong but seems like Cube Controls just like Ascher Racing have different models for wired and wireless operations, and usb connection included with wireless is only for battery charging.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong but seems like Cube Controls just like Ascher Racing have different models for wired and wireless operations, and usb connection included with wireless is only for battery charging.

I think you're right. They said you can charge while driving and I thought that meant it would use USB for use, but it appears to still use the Simucube Wireless Button Module which doesn't have a USB data port. My mistake!

It's a shame, this might be a hardware limitation in that you either have Simucube Wireless Button module or a standard HID usb controller. Wiring the electronics to support both with an automatic bypass would be quite complicated (definitely expensive to mass produce and also expensive to warranty and service given its complexity).

Upvote 0
SC 2 Pro here with antenna
cube controls and martin aschers whell, 100 % connection all the time, note 99% not 98 %, it's 100 %.
3 and 1/2 months of heavy use ( quarantine) not a single problem, absolutely not one, no mischift nothing.
Wireless is flawless with simicube and with good wheel company like cube or martin, i dont expect that you hear any bad story about it.
to make it short you can go wirelless eyes closed

Upvote 0
Granite Devices wrote in their DIY rim building thread that you should prevent any metal close to the antenna of the modul to prevent connection issues.. I imagine it's equally preferable to not put the wireless modul right in line with the main shaft of the wheelbase.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

SC 2 Pro here with antenna
cube controls and martin aschers whell, 100 % connection all the time, note 99% not 98 %, it's 100 %.
3 and 1/2 months of heavy use ( quarantine) not a single problem, absolutely not one, no mischift nothing.
Wireless is flawless with simicube and with good wheel company like cube or martin, i dont expect that you hear any bad story about it.
to make it short you can go wirelless eyes closed
No doubt Martin and Cube make great hardware, but what about all the users on Grantiy board having issues with wireless (link in the second post here).

Upvote 0
Sorry missed that, experience has been so flawless for me and never heard about problems about it.
Just my 2 cents ..
About sc 2 comin from a fanatec background, it s just the next level from building quality to software integration.
Once more just my expérience for what it s worth.
plus you can’t count on great resseler customer service from race werk and sim Racing bay for example vs fanatec horrible one.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Just adding my own experience, have been racing with Tomo's wireless wheel for the last week at least few hours every day, not a single miss, delay, or any sort of hiccup so far.
Shelved my USB wired wheel for now.

Upvote 0
Haven't had a lick of trouble with my F28-SC. I do miss having clutch paddles and waiting ever so patiently for the wireless upgrade to recognize analog input! As soon as that is all settled and Martin puts out a wireless version of his F64 I'll be one happier camper!

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea