Save Extractor

Save Extractor 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Robert Eady submitted a new resource:

Save Extractor - Facilitates MM save-game editing.

Facilitates MM save-game editing.

This application can unpack MM .sav files into a pair of JSON files, which can then be edited using any text editor. It can also repack this pair of files into a MM .sav file.

The Save Info file contains information such as save statistics, team colours, models and textures, mods used and DLC.

The Game Data file is a complete representation of the game state. Beware! This file is very large (perhaps several hundred MB) so you will need a serious text...

Read more about this resource...

Obviously editing is a bit of a pain with such a huge file, but you can make reasonable progress by just searching for names of stuff.

It's also quite easy to edit some usually hard coded values, for example the game speed (just search for speedMultipliers)

At some point I will add some better error checking, but it should function just fine. I'm not sure how big save files can grow so it may be necessary to make a 64-bit build...

Speed multipliers are taken directly from the main dll... so it really shouldn't be something that needs saving.. that saying, the core min zoom value seems to be being read from the save file rather then the dll (it's really odd)

How much redundant stuff is there being saved?

Last edited:
I unpacked my save file and made some changes to the json file using your recommended text editor - Sublime, but when I repack it, I can't seem to load the save in Motorsports Manager. On the load screen, it says Save File: Corrupt and the load button is greyed out. Any idea why?

How much redundant stuff is there being saved?

Probably a lot. It seems that the game basically dumps its entire state into the save file so that includes a lot of hardcoded data.

I unpacked my save file and made some changes to the json file using your recommended text editor - Sublime, but when I repack it, I can't seem to load the save in Motorsports Manager. On the load screen, it says Save File: Corrupt and the load button is greyed out. Any idea why?

Odd. What happens if you just unpack and repack to a new save file, without making any edits?

If you send me the original and corrupted saves I'll take a look.

Thanks Robert. The new version 1.1 works fine if I unpack and repack without making any edits to the JSON file. When I do edit it, the save file does not show up as corrupted, it loads almost completely, but just before its fully loaded, I get a message which says "Save file failed to load, please contact Sega, etc". Must be my edits causing the problem, I'll work that out. Your editor works great now, much appreciated.

Thanks Robert. The new version 1.1 works fine if I unpack and repack without making any edits to the JSON file. When I do edit it, the save file does not show up as corrupted, it loads almost completely, but just before its fully loaded, I get a message which says "Save file failed to load, please contact Sega, etc". Must be my edits causing the problem, I'll work that out. Your editor works great now, much appreciated.

Interesting. Try making some more minor changes and if it still doesn't work I'm happy to have a look for you.

All I've tried was editing some colours, weather values, simple things like that. But it's probably quite easy to screw up the game state.

I was trying to use your save game extractor to fix my Engineer's known components which kept going missing when I saved and exited the game and then reloaded it.

As you suggested, I tried making a single change, packed the save and it loaded up without a problem. Edited the save file again with a single change and packed and it loaded up too, so your extractor works brilliantly! Thank you.

Can you edit drivers,mechanic or lead designer attributes? If so where? Would be nice if there was a application to make that easier. Hard to find anything with so much data.

I'm afraid I don't have the time or inclination to make an editor. The best advice I can give is to search for the names of the people of interest and look for nearby data of the sort you want to change. For example driver attributes can be found under "mStats": { ... }.

Unfortunately the structure is a bit crazy, because the information for each entity is included once at the first relevant point, rather than in a nice logical hierarchy. I think it would be quite difficult to do anything about that.

Oh, and the game doesn't keep much state about previous seasons, so it makes life easier if you edit saves from early in a season - the file is a lot smaller and less cluttered with history info.

Unfortunately the structure is a bit crazy, because the information for each entity is included once at the first relevant point, rather than in a nice logical hierarchy. I think it would be quite difficult to do anything about that.
Would it be possible to automate changes or grab specific data without user input from the JSON files, or is too random?
I have a few ideas i would like to try with it.

This way it looks more managable, but how does a 3-5 MB file get 300-400MB? :O_o:
Looks More Managable.jpg

Would it be possible to automate changes or grab specific data without user input from the JSON files, or is too random?
I have a few ideas i would like to try with it.
It would definitely be possible, just rather tricky (and prone to breaking when the game is updated). But do share have any particular ideas you have.

I can't see my edits in my savegame. I have change all the championship names to Formula 1, Formula 2 and GP3, pack the files and load my savegame. But when I look, the championship names are still World Motorsport Championship and European Series. What going wrong?

And how do I change the drivers and team contracts? I am in season 2 now and Jenson Button drivers in the Formula 2. How do I change his team?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%