Samsung 57" UWD Monitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I would take that FOV with a huge grain of salt as this guy doesn't use anywhere close to a 1:1 FOV if I'm understanding him correctly. He uses a distance of 20.5 which I think means 20.5" (52 cm) which is insanely close to the screen yet he's actually quite far away with the monitor all the way at the end of his long wheel base. He's probably more like 28-33" (71-84 cm) away so he's using absolutely nothing like a 1:1 FOV. He's using a much larger vertical & horizontal FOV - more overall FOV for a much smaller world scale, corners looking less sharp & more straight, elevation changes looking less dramatic, etc.

It's his game & setup, he can run whatever FOV he wants. I'm just pointing out that the h.FOV # he spits out which sounds so amazing (135°) is based on having your eyes only 20.5" (or 52 cm) away. The vast majority of sim racers (including him) aren't that close, or anywhere even near that close, to their monitor so that 135° value is terribly misleading.

DSC_0313.JPG

As you can see above, I have my monitor directly behind my Fanatec quick release - this is closer than most people's setups that I've seen in pictures and youtube videos - yet I'm still around 21.75" - 23" (55-58.5 cm) (can't remember exactly) away. This shows the absurdity in using 20.5" as your eye-to-monitor distance for anyone looking for a 1:1 or close to 1:1 FOV experience.

So let's assume you have your monitor towards the end of your DD base. Let's use 30" (76.2 cm) away as an example and compare the 1:1 FOVs for that setup between a 49" 32:9 and 57" 32:9 like the guy did in the video. We'll assume both are 1000R.

49"(flat) = 25° vertical, 76° horizontal
57" (flat) = 29° vertical, 85° horizontal

In order to take advantage of the curve, the game must allow you to increase horizontal FOV WITHOUT increasing vertical FOV. Basically the game has to have true triple-screen rendering and also allow it to be used & adjusted in single-screen mode (eg. Assetto Corsa), or it has to have a curve value setting (eg. iRacing). If that's the case, then here are the curve-corrected values:

49" (1000R) = 25° vertical, 88° horizontal
57" (1000R) = 29° vertical, 101° horizontal

The guy from the video is spewing some quite misleading info. Not only regarding using "20.5 viewing distance" (which he doesn't explain anything about how it's completely wrong for his setup, how it will give you a much smaller world-scale, etc.) but his claim of simply going from a 49" to 57" giving him - all else being equal - an extra 30° h.FOV is complete and utter B.S. as my numbers above show.

The only way he could have gotten such a massive increase is from curve-adjusted values if the 49" had 0 curve or almost 0 curve (eg. 2500R).

Do I need to create my own channel just to start calling all these ppl out? Geez! :D

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Why 76.2cm distance when you use 55cm yourself, just to make FOV numbers look smaller? :)

This is "mathematically" correct FOV for my 49" 32:9 setup.
Distance to monitor: 58cm (using wheel extension)
Vertical: 32.4
Horizontal: 91.9

For 57" 32:9 same distance it will be
Vertical: 37.3
Horizontal: 100.5

How did you come up with curve-corrected values?
I have tried to use corrections from spreadsheet on reddit in the past, but result was completely off, world scale wrong, distances wrong, using flat screen FOV and triple screen rendering produced very close to each other look (scale, etc.), so I just stick with that when not using triple monitor rendering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why 76.2cm distance when you use 55cm yourself,
No. I stated why in my post. My setup is closer than almost every picture and youtube video I've seen. So I wanted to include a more realistic value. I used 30" because I added the length of a DD base like in that guy's video so 30" is roughly what he's using and I've seen many people with their screens behind or close to the end of their wheelbase so 30" is probably fairly average.

...just to make FOV numbers look smaller? :)
It's not about how big or small the FOV is. I was addressing the fact that the guy in the video said going from 49" to 57" gained him like 30 degrees h.FOV which is a complete load of B.S. Wether the distance is 55 cm or 70 cm, going from 49" 32:9 to 57" 32:9, all else being equal, will only gain 8° (0 curve adjustment) to 14° (1000R curve-adjusted) rather than his misleading 30° claim.

This is "mathematically" correct FOV for my 49" 32:9 setup.
Distance to monitor: 58cm (using wheel extension)
Vertical: 32.4
Horizontal: 91.9

For 57" 32:9 same distance it will be
Vertical: 37.3
Horizontal: 100.5
Yes, those #s are correct. They are for flat screen though (0 curve).

How did you come up with curve-corrected values?
I have tried to use corrections from spreadsheet on reddit in the past, but result was completely off, world scale wrong, distances wrong, using flat screen FOV and triple screen rendering produced very close to each other look (scale, etc.), so I just stick with that when not using triple monitor rendering.
Yes, using that spreadsheet which seems quite accurate from all the research and tests I've done.

You're doing something wrong then because world-scale and distance-perception should NOT change. If they have changed then that means you have changed the vertical FOV too. If the vFOV is changed along with the hFOV then that is NOT curve-correcting and OF COURSE world-scaling and distance-perception will change (just like whenever you change the FOV with any type of monitor/game).

You need to be able to increase hFOV WITHOUT changing vFOV. It's like going from a 27" 16:9 to a 34" 21:9. Same vFOV, same world-scaling, but extra hFOV.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

You're doing something wrong then because world-scale and distance-perception should NOT change. If they have changed then that means you have changed the vertical FOV too. If the vFOV is changed along with the hFOV then that is NOT curve-correcting and OF COURSE world-scaling and distance-perception will change (just like whenever you change the FOV with any type of monitor/game).
Would like you elaborate a bit more on how exactly you can get it wrong by just entering FOV number in the sim?
Of course vFOV will change, AC and ACC only accept vFOV, and sims accepting hFOV like AMS2 proportionally change vFOV.
Triple screen setup does not accept any FOV, just panel sizes, angles and distance.
What specific curved monitor settings you are referring here, which sim?

I would kindly suggest......

Guys do consider creating a thread that could be very useful for a lot of people which covers the various popular racing titles and offers recommended options/settings to try based on the seating position/distances for both the 49"/57" models.

Is it likely that, the majority of owners are not that bothered about it or will spend that much time trying? They may just apply settings they think look okay for them and get on with playing. So it would be good to see recommendations that people could then compare to what they have used in the past.

No doubt the FOV infringement with that guy in the videos with i-racing of all titles may stir a community backlash upon him and to be deducted points or brought before a committee. Like seriously how dare he just try to have fun and not take things more seriously, its i-racing. :p

Last edited:
Would like you elaborate a bit more on how exactly you can get it wrong by just entering FOV number in the sim?
Of course vFOV will change, AC and ACC only accept vFOV, and sims accepting hFOV like AMS2 proportionally change vFOV.
Triple screen setup does not accept any FOV, just panel sizes, angles and distance.
Like you correctly stated, in any videogame, if you change the hFOV, the vFOV will also be proportionally changed or vice-versa. Of course this will happen or else the image will be distorted. That's why I said, if you're simply changing the game's FOV setting to try and achieve curve-correction then of course you're not doing any curve correcting, you're simply adjusting the entire world-scale.

As I mentioned in my previous post (and others), the only ways I know of to change hFOV while keeping vFOV (and therefore world-scale) the same are:

A) if a game has true triple-screen rendering & settings AND allows it to be used during single-screen mode (eg. AC)

B) if the game has a curve correction setting (eg. apparently iR)

C) I'm guessing, create a custom resolution that makes your monitor more wide (eg. 3700x1440 instead of 3440x1440) but scaling looks bad on LCDs & OLEDS plus it introduces input-lag so ignore this method

I know that. I've been sim racing for 20+ years with triples for 10+ years, :)
I don't think I specified any settings. It's not game-specific.

I guess the easiest way to do it would be to go to single screen mode with triple-screen rendering/setup DISABLED and set the hFOV to the desired (ie. curve-corrected) value. If the game only accepts vFOV (like most), then set the vFOV to whatever value results in the desired hFOV being used (FOV calcuators will easily tell you this). I guess then just take screenshots in the cockpit to see exactly how far away to the left and right you can see. Use trackside objects or interior objects for reference. Then enable triple-screen rendering. Set your correct eye-to-screen distance so you get the correct world-scale, distance-perception, etc. Set bezels to 0 (of course, only 1 screen). Adjust the other setting/s which ONLY affect hFOV. Refer to your screenshots to see exactly how much hFOV you should be able to see and where it stops.

There you go. Now you are able to keep using the mathematically correct vFOV & world-scale but while also having increased hFOV (ie. curve correction) :)

I'm guessing that's the easiest method.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

If you've missed this post
Non corrected for curved FOV world scale looks exactly the same as triple screen setting. Corrected value was off, this is all I was trying to say. So not sure what value that "corrected" FOV has and in what real life scenario and how it should be used.

If you've missed this post
Non corrected for curved FOV world scale looks exactly the same as triple screen setting. Corrected value was off, this is all I was trying to say. So not sure what value that "corrected" FOV has and in what real life scenario and how it should be used.
Of course non-corrected for curved FOV world-scale looks exactly the same as correct triple-screen settings. They are both mathematically correct so of course will have the same world scale because...they are the same! :)

I think you might be over-thinking this. Seriously, re-read my post before this one. Read where it says "I guess the easiest way to do it..."

It's an extremely simple concept. You're not changing world scale nor vFOV. All you're doing is adding extra hFOV FOR THE SAME vFOV / WORLD-SCALE...Don't over-complicating it! ;)

Last edited:
I am still lost on how though.
In the triple-screen settings. Of course the game has to have triple-screen rendering & settings and allow to use it during single-screen use (eg. AC, I think ACC as well).

Remember, all you're doing is adding extra hFOV. Everything else is identical.

From above:
"I guess the easiest way to do it would be to go to single screen mode with triple-screen rendering/setup DISABLED and set the hFOV to the desired (ie. curve-corrected) value. If the game only accepts vFOV (like most), then set the vFOV to whatever value results in the desired hFOV being used (FOV calcuators will easily tell you this). I guess then just take screenshots in the cockpit to see exactly how far away to the left and right you can see. Use trackside objects or interior objects for reference. Then enable triple-screen rendering. Set your correct eye-to-screen distance so you get the correct world-scale, distance-perception, etc. Set bezels to 0 (of course, only 1 screen). Adjust the other setting/s which ONLY affect hFOV. Refer to your screenshots to see exactly how much hFOV you should be able to see and where it stops."

Are there any parts in those steps that you're not understanding?...Let me know.

• Deleted member 197115

I just do not understand the point of the exercise, sorry for being so dense.
If I use triple screen settings for my curved screen broken into 3 virtual (properly sized) monitors and it matches mathematically correct "uncorrected FOV".
Aren't triple settings with these values are correct already?
samsung_g9-fov-jpg.690033

If I use triple screen settings for my curved screen broken into 3 virtual (properly sized) monitors and it matches mathematically correct "uncorrected FOV".
Aren't triple settings with these values are correct already?
samsung_g9-fov-jpg.690033
If you already did your own calculations which includes the monitor curve / angle like in the pic above and if they're correct then I guess you're already using the curve-corrected hFOV.

I believe you should be getting the same curve-corrected h.FOV that the spreadsheet FOV calculator says.

The point of the "exercise" is that 99% of players don't have a diagram like that for their particular screen size, screen aspect ratio, and screen curve. Therefore they can use the curve corrected FOV calculator to find the curve-corrected hFOV and then use their hFOV reference image to simply adjust the outer-monitors in the triple-screen setup to give the same hFOV as the reference image.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

It's his game & setup, he can run whatever FOV he wants. I'm just pointing out that the h.FOV # he spits out which sounds so amazing (135°) is based on having your eyes only 20.5" (or 52 cm) away. The vast majority of sim racers (including him) aren't that close, or anywhere even near that close, to their monitor so that 135° value is terribly misleading.

View attachment 697247

As you can see above, I have my monitor directly behind my Fanatec quick release - this is closer than most people's setups that I've seen in pictures and youtube videos - yet I'm still around 21.75" - 23" (55-58.5 cm) (can't remember exactly) away. This shows the absurdity in using 20.5" as your eye-to-monitor distance for anyone looking for a 1:1 or close to 1:1 FOV experience.
Wondering how did you manage 58cm eye to monitor distance with setup like this.
dsc_0313-jpg.697247

This is mine and it's about 580-600mm from the eyes to the center of the screen.

20230927_174029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering how did you manage 58cm eye to monitor distance with setup like this.
dsc_0313-jpg.697247

This is mine and it's about 580-600mm from the eyes to the center of the screen.

View attachment 697458
I have no idea. Your monitor is very far back from your rim (for my personal standards) so I'm very confused how you're only 3 or 4 cm further from me.

Are you sure you weren't maybe leaning your head forward when you measured? Maybe you sit incredibly close to the wheel? I'm confused too, lol.

I'll re-measure in an hour or 2 and give you the exact number.

Last edited:
Foving nerds! :roflmao:

Dave done this video recently...
Performance vs. Immersion for a content creator, duh. That's exactly why I always harp on having an adequate GPU for running triples at the desired resolution. And not just adequate for a single car, but adequate for that first lap of a full field in rain/night, where you get half the fps of later laps in sunny/daytime. What's adequate for triple 1080p is NOT adequate for triple 1440p which is, in turn, NOT adequate for triple 4k.

And big screens are always waaay better for fov. Yeah, Dave's justification for single big screen is swayed more by his need for performance than the desire for immersion.

Performance vs. Immersion for a content creator, duh. That's exactly why I always harp on having an adequate GPU for running triples at the desired resolution. And not just adequate for a single car, but adequate for that first lap of a full field in rain/night, where you get half the fps of later laps in sunny/daytime. What's adequate for triple 1080p is NOT adequate for triple 1440p which is, in turn, NOT adequate for triple 4k.

And big screens are always waaay better for fov. Yeah, Dave's justification for single big screen is swayed more by his need for performance than the desire for immersion.
Yup. I was going to say a similar thing but then I decided to shut up since I already ranted quite a bit here, lol, but I'll say that I think the whole money thing is a lie. He is simply sacrificing his sim racing screen setup for the benefit of his channel/streams, viewer count, monetary income, etc. but he's trying to pass it off as a money thing instead of a "I'm sacrificing my sim racing screen setup for potentially more views/money" thing.

Just his wheel RIM alone is more money than most people's entire PC - just the rim! Not to mention, buying a 13700K or 7800x3D + 7900 XT or XTX or 4080 or 4090 isn't that much of a stretch when you have a 9900K and a 3090 that you can sell and get darn good money for. Yet it's a money issue? Give me a break.

Who knows, maybe he even has a Sammy 57" 32:9 coming his way but now my conspiracy side is coming out :D

I couldn't care less what setup him or any one uses but I can't stand the way they play around words, speak in half-truths, (or sometimes outright lie), not just him but a lot of these guys (but not all).

Gamer Muscle, that guy that passed away way too early (can't remember his name), Emerz (or something like that), are some guys (but definitely not the only guys) that I can watch and always feel like they're just being absolutely real as if there was nothing to gain and nothing to loose even if they do have sponsors and/or free-samples.

P.S. I think his name is William Marsh. Seemed like such a good guy. I actually talked to him shortly before he passed. I offered to help him with his channel for 100% free and even un-credited. He went not too long after :(

Last edited:
Think we will see more videos soon from a few YT channels with AMD 2.1 cards.
One bummer with the monitor is how short the DP cable is, so Ive already started to have a look around for options.

Monitors first batch for UK appears to have sold out within a week or so.
Will wait to BF or start of nexf year for discounts.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 540 68.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 339 43.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 361 45.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 181 23.0%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 212 27.0%
Back