Samsung 57" UWD Monitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
The larger depth of the dual 32" will be welcomed to improve the visual wow factor.

I personally found the height was one of the main drawbacks with the G9 49". It filled your peripheral view rather well, but just was that bit shallow.

Owners of the 57" G9, could also reduce the screen res to 1440p for improved framerates in demanding titles. Yet still enjoy the benefits the larger, improved panel with an increased number of dimming zones it offers.

UK pre order isnt that enticing:
Giving a £100 recycling discount and free £400 Samsung robot vac.
I think most will hold off for reviews/quality control and see if BF offers a better deal.

Nice comparison video

Also interesting, regards to the G9 57" potential frame rates in sim titles.
This video shows a dual Samsung 55" Arc Monitor setup powered by a high-end AMD System build for a large dual 4K 32:9 Ratio.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

ACC Samsung G9 49"
No Correction
Single Screen No Correction.jpg

Projection Correction 1.0
Projection Correction 1.0.jpg

Triple Screen Setup for single UWD
Triple Screen.jpg

ACC Samsung G9 49"
No CorrectionView attachment 690425
Projection Correction 1.0
View attachment 690426
View attachment 690427
Nice! Thanks for taking the Screenshots for us.
I think you need to increase the FOV when using the projection correction to have the same viewport as with the triple settings.
Then it's theoretically a correct, curved viewport.
The triple settings look great, do you notice this glitch while driving with it?
Triple Screen.jpg

Your curved screen should even it out a bit, but it's probably still visible..

• Deleted member 197115

There is just slight shadow shift at virtual bezels, much better than it used to be a while back, Kunos done a good job massaging it.
Interesting idea on more FOV for Projection correction, never though of that.
To be honest, I just use single screen setting as in the first screenshot. Slight stretch on sides does not bother me the slightest, and if you compare to triple screen setup, proportions look almost if not exactly the same.

Virtual bezel close up
1693189398248.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I can feel the stretch with no correction. I'm with @RasmusP that projection correction needs a touch more FOV for the viewport... reference the mirror and steering wheel size.

• Deleted member 197115

With projection correction you will get blurry center, need to compensate with oversampling, and triple screen using Kunos in-house implementation, as UE does not have one to begin with, is quite an expensive luxury, plus shadow grade shifting during movement can be quite a distraction.

Little stretch on side mirror is something I rarely notice, when I look at the mirror headtracking kick in so it moves closer to the center making it look normal. But even without headtracking, it's just something I've just stopped noticing or care. Of course as always YMMV. :thumbsup::)

In my opinion the whole "stretching" issue is just blown way out of proportion.

• Deleted member 197115

I would have expected more extra h.FOV in the triple-screen setup but it could just be my eyes. What h.FOV are the non-triple-screen and triple-screen setups using?
Vertical: 32
Horizontal: 92
Just using standard FOV calculator, the one for curved monitors is flawed and does not match Triple Screen proportions.

• Deleted member 197115

The spreadsheet calculator is flawed? Are you sure?
Please reread my post. If world scale is the same with traditional flat screen FOV calculator as in triple screen then why going for higher FOV with curved screen makes it "righter", it's almost 10 degrees difference, freaking huge?
I just trust my eyes, not some made up formula based on the wrong assumptions, math could be solid, but the result is not.
Of course everyone is free to use whatever works for them, not trying to advocate anything, just sharing my experience on the subject where I spent lots of time experimenting.

EDIT: And don't call me Shirley. :D

Of course curve means more h.FOV for the same v.FOV. You don't need fancy maths to understand. Just compare triple-screens with no angle to triple-screens with an angle. The triple-screens with an angle means more h.FOV because it's wrapping around you and therefore literally physically taking up more of your vision. Having a curve is doing the same thing. If you don't believe that curved monitors should offer more h.FOV then you also don't believe angled triple-monitors should give more h.FOV than straight triples because the concept is the same: believing one is true but not the other cannot make sense because they are the same concept.

Of course it's your game and you can do whatever you like.

Last edited:
Sounds more like a basic misunderstanding, no need for that tone guys :barefoot:
Thanks for the close-up of the virtual bezel border! Doesn't look too great, especially with the performance hit..
The projection correction works the "wrong way" basically, by stretching the center to counter the distortion. But you're losing vertical FOV due to it, instead of gaining the same amount of horizontal FOV you'd gain via the triple setting.

The about 10° more horizontal FOV at the same vertical FOV are definitely correct, depending on your monitor aspect ratio and curvature. You can see that the triples setting gives a few more degrees on the sides, by getting rid of the distortion.
Would be great if you could do the same but without the virtual bezel borders via the correction BUT without worsening the center resolution.

Or rather: would be great if at least Unreal Engine would lay the path for curved viewport calculation. It can't be THAT hard and all gaming brands are pushing for curved monitors even if they're 24", 16:9...

Here's my own drawing from another thread (blocks are from an nvidia presentation).
IMG_20230828_110119_455.jpg
IMG_20230828_110121_505.jpg

If you compare the gaps between the dots on the "monitor line", the differences are minimal apart from the two points at the far left.
There lies the visual distortion and the 10° h.FOV.

To be honest I don't care about the distortion.. I'd just want the extra FOV :D

• Deleted member 197115

Of course curve means more h.FOV for the same v.FOV. You don't need fancy maths to understand. Just compare triple-screens with no angle to triple-screens with an angle. The triple-screens with an angle means more h.FOV because it's wrapping around you and therefore literally physically taking up more of your vision. Having a curve is doing the same thing. If you don't believe that curved monitors should offer more h.FOV then you also don't believe angled triple-monitors should give more h.FOV than straight triples because the concept is the same: believing one is true but not the other cannot make sense because they are the same concept.

Of course it's your game and you can do whatever you like.
You confuse multiple projection with single screen hFOV. If you increase hFOV on a single projection screen to match what you see on triples, your world scale will be affected, things at the center will become smaller and off.
single-screen-no-correction-jpg.690425

triple-screen-jpg.690427

You can see like two cars in front and other objects are exactly same scale in single screen (flat screen calculated FOV) and triple screen setup.
At the same time triple seems to show a bit more scenery on sides as there is no pincushion distortion (slightly more hFOV).

It is like picture taken with ultrawide lens vs panorama stitching of 3 pictures taken with normal lens, with triple setup you deal with 3 separate viewports rendered on a single screen.

In ideal world you should always use triple screen setup for UWD, but not all sims support it, and some like ACC have performance hit and while better but still distracting virtual bezels.

In ideal world you should always use triple screen setup for UWD, but not all sims support it, and some like ACC have performance hit and while better but still distracting virtual bezels.
*in an ideal world, all sims and games would have an option to curve the viewport to your monitor's radius.
Do what ACC's correction does, but just adjusting the viewport projection instead of stretching the center as some "anti-distortion" measurement.
In iRacing, you can set the curvature! But I didn't really research that since I don't and won't have iRacing...

• Deleted member 197115

In iRacing, you can set the curvature!
Didn't know that, I was referring to realistic setting that most sims support, not a fantasy ideal world. :D
Good info, but just like you iRenting is not my thing.

Btw you can simply use ChatGPT for "basic" calculations like this:
Nice! But did you check that it was right? (I am way too lazy to do so!)
Ha, I spent a while looking for the bends and only found one (on the Racelogic data unit) and then realised that Rasmus had already posted a pic of it! :roflmao:
In my opinion the whole "stretching" issue is just blown way out of proportion.
I would love to have experience of triples or any kind of super-wide view, but I can readily agree that it's likely to be a non-issue until you get to "large" angles.
But some people really do have large angles (ballpark 180 degrees, with aggressive curvature or tilts) and at some point I reckon the stretching could become immersion-breaking (if you turn your head, or maybe even just from peripheral vision noticing that stuff isn't passing by at the "right" speed).

Nice! But did you check that it was right? (I am way too lazy to do so!)
1st Rule of using ChatGPT: Never check if it's right or wrong! :D
It has a slight error: It uses the 45" as the arc length, instead of calculating it via the aspect ratio, because I didn't give it the aspect ratio :roflmao:
The rest seems okay, although I never calculated these exact parts of circles and can't be bothered to do it :poop:

You confuse multiple projection with single screen hFOV. If you increase hFOV on a single projection screen to match what you see on triples, your world scale will be affected, things at the center will become smaller and off.
single-screen-no-correction-jpg.690425

triple-screen-jpg.690427
Yes, you're 100% correct. That's 1 of the reasons why I think curved monitors, and especially the wider and/or more curved they are, are overrated for 99.999% of games.

What needs to happen is the h.FOV has to change without the v.FOV changing.

For eg. Screen = 45", 21:9, 800r, 55 cm from eyes. For 1:1 FOV:
v.FOV = 45°
h.FOV if 0 curve (flat) = 87°
h.FOV if 800r curve = 104°

The problem is - as you correctly pointed out - if you set a game with a 21:9 resolution to 45° v.FOV, it will only give you 87° h.FOV. If you set the h.FOV to 104°, then the v.FOV will be at 58° which means your entire world scaling will be smaller and you are then back to "square one" and did not really accomplish anything. So, basically, the game needs to allow adjust the h.FOV relative (ie. without changing) the v.FOV. In order to properly make up for the curve, the game has to be at 104° h.FOV while also at 45° v.FOV (not 58°). Sadly, this cannot be done in 99.9999% of games.

The only way to do this is to play a game which has, both, triple-independent rendering/viewports and the ability to use triple-independent rendering/viewports while only using 1 screen. Or, if the game has some other way of adjusting the h.FOV for the same v.FOV (like iRacing apparently does).

Another way of doing it, I'm guessing, is to set the game and your monitor to a custom horizontal resolution as if you had a wider monitor (eg. 25:9 instead of 21:9). You'd have to play with the h.resolution numbers until you find a a number that ends up giving you the curved monitor's h.FOV (104° in my example) for the same v.FOV (45°). However, this will probably end up giving poor picture quality because you won't be running your monitor's native resolution (or a perfect 2x2 version of it) so this is not really an option. Plus, not only will image quality noticeably suffer, but post-rendering image scaling also adds input lag. It would be an interesting experiment though.

I would love to have experience of triples or any kind of super-wide view, but I can readily agree that it's likely to be a non-issue until you get to "large" angles.
But some people really do have large angles (ballpark 180 degrees, with aggressive curvature or tilts) and at some point I reckon the stretching could become immersion-breaking (if you turn your head, or maybe even just from peripheral vision noticing that stuff isn't passing by at the "right" speed).
Ya. The stretching thing can be overblown. For me, personally, it's more the h.FOV we're getting cheated out of - basically making the curve more gimmicky than truly being properly utilized in 99.999% of games (besides like 3 or 4 racing games).

The stretching can be really bad. As you said, depends on size and curve. When I first bought triples like 10 years ago, I thought it was going to be this amazing experience for all games. I get home, fired up Battlefield, and the stretching and size of objects on the outside monitors is absolutely horrendous. Anything on the outside monitors looks huge and like it's only 3 ft in front of me, but on the centre monitor, the same object looks tiny and like it's 50 ft in front of me. It's a massively distorted, "broken" mess. So, aside from missing a ton of h.FOV, the extra h.FOV I did indeed get was ridiculous, barely useful, and more annoying and distracting than fun. I ended up just playing all my games in single-screen mode. The only non-triple-independent rendering games I can deal with the triple-screen stretching are racing games because with them set to a low v.FOV (for 1:1 scaling), the stretch is much less. It's still bad compared to a triple-independent rendered setup - looking at corners, apex's etc. via the outside monitors will look bigger and closer then suddenly shrink and look further away (not anywhere near as bad as other games because of the low v.FOV) - but it's doable and still enjoyable.

In the FOV calculator, set a curve of something like 800r to simulate triple angled monitors, distance 55 cm, size 72" (3x 27" 16:9 monitors), and aspect ratio to 48:9. The non-curved h.FOV is 48° less, at 117° instead of 165°. So, if using the 1:1 v.FOV of 34°, and playing a game with no triple-independent rendering like GTL, GTR2, R07, PC1, all WRC, Dirt, and Codies F1 games, you'll be missing 48° h.FOV, with only 117° instead of 165°! Final result = Way less h.FOV + Way more horizontal & distance distortions. What a rip-off!...It's the same general theory with curved monitors (including a single one) but - as you stated - no where near as bad.

Last edited:
Another just released and what ya know its focused on sim racing...

Here again

Even on my 49"
This looks awesome with 32:9

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 14 53.8%