rFactor2 Build 218 to come soon. A little personal advise to all.

Marco Bijl

Axe Travels
Build 218 is about to be released, and with the current state of the mods, I want to share my thoughts on this build, and in specific how I would advise you all to install it....

The reason I have made this post, is because I have noticed that, with the current release of 1.4x components by ISI, the whole mod thing is becoming a big issue again, whilst we just managed to get it under control in some way. People get problems again, as they have different versions of different content installed. Now I want to focus on ISI mods first.

Starting with build 218, RaceDepartment will only be using the 1.4x components in its weekly mods. As we are getting close to all content being at 1.4x, and in seperate components everything we at RaceDepartment are using is available at this moment, we have an opportunity here to have a fresh start. I figured, I'd give you all a heads up for that.

So, when the new build is released, I advise to do the following (keep the order, so you do NOT have to re-activate the game).

- Download the LIGHT installer for the latest build.
- Install it in a different folder then your current rfactor2.
- To avoid issues, I advise to install it OUT of the default ProgramFiles folder, but for instance in c:\games\rfactor2.​
- Go to the Windows Explorer, and look up your OLD packages folder.
- Copy the ISI 1.4x rfmod files to the newly created package folder (so NOT all the series, but JUST the components).
- Copy all the NON ISI mods you want to keep into the new packages folder.
- Copy the complete content of your old UserData folder to the newly installed one. This includes your setups and custom skins. I am NOT sure about HDR profiles. If you have any, make sure you copy them from your old install to the new one.
- Start the launcher. It should start loged in, if you have selected the Remember my tick box, and should be activated.
- Download the updated 1.4x components you have not yet downloaded, and place them in the new packages folder.
- Start the Mod Manager
Now you have to pay attention! As your mod manager remembers your previous install, the 2 folder settings in the right bottom will most likely point to the OLD install folder, and the OLD packages folder. Change them BOTH!
- Install all the mods

Test everything to see if you havent forgotten anything. If everyhing is ok, you can now remove the old rFactor2 install. Make sure you delete any leftovers in your old installation folders.

This should get you a fresh, and clean install of rfactor, without the old versions of the ISI content.

I think you're part of the silent majority;) (at least I hope so)
I'm quite a noob with computers or modding, I just read the forums and follow instructions and it never goes wrong for me, or we were both just very lucky:p.
Downloading a track or updating the game is something you need to do with other games too, perhaps not for weekmods but that's a workload decision like Stefan said for the staff who spent their free time in it. Just think that the transition from series to single components was very confusing for most because ISI gave little instructions with it, and it happend right after the other, so people were updating/downloading every week and mods got mingled or wouldn't match. I can understand in this case that people get the feeling they are always downloading and installing.

Thanks for the compliment:) (mostly for Stefan and Marco offcourse, I'm just new:D)

Must say that I am a bit surprised by all the problems that some /certain / a lot of people are having as I have not had, or very rarely, these problems. I am a "simple" user. I see a mod that I like and I download and install without any problems. I see a race that I would like to run and I do the same thing with out problems. When there have been issues our great Administrators (1) have been on top of the problem and I simply follow instructions.
Am I just lucky or am I part of a silent majority...

(1) When I say "great Administrators" I mean it. I can not thank them enough as I know they are solving a lot of the problems so that when I come along I do not have any problems and I can just get in and drive. Thanks guys.
larry, how many racedepartment rfactor 2 races have you run? i haven't seen you at any of the events but then maybe i've missed your races.

to clarify again, the mods know i am grateful and think highly of their work. that is not the issue in this thread. i am a "simple" user too...i think i made the problem very clear. i am currently downloading some mods from ISI e.g. the new 370 and I have scanned through the forums/race threads to find the other tracks i need (which aren't on ISI).

my suggestion was just that it would be easier if all the required cars and tracks be on one post. good suggestions may attract more racers, make things even better and can only be a positive. the mods have clarified that they welcome suggestions.
I look forward to racing you soon and..let's hope you don't encounter any problems :)

I followed Marco's instructions but for some reason not cars or tracks are showing. Uninstalled, deleted all the rFactor 2 folders everywhere, rebooted, re-installed, copied mods and installed them from the new mod path, go into game but still no cars or tracks :(

Busy downloading the content installer to see if that atleast shows the content that installs with it.

To be honest I'm quite peeved that I could not do a auto update from within the game :mad:

Hmm, hard to say what went wrong. Did you double checked if the new paths you wanted to have are indeed correctly made? Perhaps the game is searching in the wrong place?

If you don't get it to work with the new paths, you can try the following also:
1. go to windowssearch and type the following: %appdata% , you will find a map with .rfactor, make a backup of that folder. Those are your activations details.
2. backup your userdata/player/settings and the other things marco suggested to backup (you probably still have those files.)
3. uninstall Rfactor2, delete all files manually that are still left, also in program files
4. restart computer
5 install rfactor2 with the default suggested paths (or what you had before and worked for you)
6 go to windowssearch again, search %appdata% again and place the backup of the folder .rfactor you made earlier in place.
7 install the mods again
8 place the other things you backedup back in place.

This way the paths are default and the installs should always go well and the game should always know where to find the mods.

Found the problem:

Had to do with the mod paths. For some reason it looks like it worked after showing the mod manager where to look but did not display mods in game.

I then clicked on default paths and the mods showed Installed = no, installed them and voila!

Thanks for the guide Marco and help Ian :)

I had the same issue. Mods were installed into a completely different folder on a different drive as I have data drives vs. SSD program drives.. I have to think that the default directories were changed at some point in various builds.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.2%