Rfactor, GTR2, Steam, Windows 11 and bugs

Hi all, does anybody else bought Rfactor and GTR2 on Steam? Great.
I unfortunately spotted some bugs that... is possible that after 15 years there are still bugs on base game?
Well, let's start:

Rfactor:
>There is a Lienz festival car that if you like at an its upgrade, something like "4wd international rally series", the game crashes
>I can't see various upgrades on Panozes, The wheels, where you could choose between BBS, fivespokes and so on, don't change in any Esperante
>Some Panoz gearboxes have horrible gears. Some have only the first gear linked to an acceptable ratio, then all other gears have the same ratio... is a nice idea finding a Panoz datasheet and then finish the gear ratios' file
>self activating spinrecovery in some mods

GTR2:
>Wheel is visible on mirrors. Obviously "self in .." is 0, as stock specs
>Spinrecovery doesn't get disabled in novice mode. Try by GUI, try by editing .plr, but everytime you get back on track, it will result activated

Each games have some minor issues in FFB that drive me to search a vintage wheel, but generally now Simbin's FFB results better, I don't know if was the same in 2005 and if only various FFB plugins brought Rfactor to overtake its rivals. Damn, I hardly can understand why someone would have preferred Rfactor to GTR2, I'm sure something got missed in theese 64bit conversions

Let's talk about this, let's help ourselves in maintaining theese beautiful games alive. Something got lost in newer games, starting from difficulty of creating your own mods

Last edited:
Hi all, does anybody else bought Rfactor and GTR2 on Steam? Great.
I unfortunately spotted some bugs that... is possible that after 15 years there are still bugs on base game?
Well, let's start:

Rfactor:
>There is a Lienz festival car that if you like at an its upgrade, something like "4wd international rally series", the game crashes
>I can't see various upgrades on Panozes, The wheels, where you could choose between BBS, fivespokes and so on, don't change in any Esperante
>Some Panoz gearboxes have horrible gears. Some have only the first gear linked to an acceptable ratio, then all other gears have the same ratio... is a nice idea finding a Panoz datasheet and then finish the gear ratios' file
>self activating spinrecovery in some mods

GTR2:
>Wheel is visible on mirrors. Obviously "self in .." is 0, as stock specs
>Spinrecovery doesn't get disabled in novice mode. Try by GUI, try by editing .plr, but everytime you get back on track, it will result activated

Each games have some minor issues in FFB that drive me to search a vintage wheel, but generally now Simbin's FFB results better, I don't know if was the same in 2005 and if only various FFB plugins brought Rfactor to overtake its rivals. Damn, I hardly can understand why someone would have preferred Rfactor to GTR2, I'm sure something got missed in theese 64bit conversions

Let's talk about this, let's help ourselves in maintaining theese beautiful games alive. Something got lost in newer games, starting from difficulty of creating your own mods

Well I've never used Steam so can't comment on that, beyond that the Steam version of GTR2 does not include all cars (notably the Ferraris and Porsches) but they are available as a separate download (not from Steam). If a mod uses parts from those cars they will obviously be necessary.

Older software in W10 or W11 should never be installed in any "Program Files" folder; windoze imposes tighter security in these folders which may cause file access issues with software not designed for it (even MS software is plagued by this). Make sure your account has full access to all install folders.

Run all exe files as admin and try compatibility mode if there are still issues, Win7 mode is usually sufficient.

These old games are remarkably resilient and run well in everything from XP to W11, even Linux; but all were designed before the draconian standards of W10 and W11.

Thank you, I hoped that there would be more people that bought them on Steam, here run 64bit versions thought purposely.
Yes, I confirm that Porsche and Ferrari are now... Simbin no longer has theese licences. That's OK, because this is how the game must work.
I already done all what I could about compatibility of GTR2, and there's that damned steering wheel in the middle of the mirror.
Don't install XP GTR2 on a 64bit OS, the protection program would crash the entire OS. At least, theese games are really cheap today

Last edited:
I already done all what I could about compatibility of GTR2, and there's that damned steering wheel in the middle of the mirror.Thank you, I hoped that there would be more people that bought them on Steam, here run 64bit versions thought purposely.
Yes, I confirm that Porsche and Ferrari are now... Simbin no longer has theese licences. That's OK, because this is how the game must work.

Probably most people running them today use Steam versions, all mine are original disc versions.
And this is really interesting... how does FFB works in GTR2? On G29 (PS3 mode, aka as G27 mode) the wheel vibrates a lot, that's why I would like to get a G25 or a DFGT.
Then I know that GTR2 used to work without any issue, Ferraris are grey, Nissan sounds as a Windsor, but in overall there were no bugs bad as the wheel in the mirrors appeared now.
What about Rfactor? Standard FFB doesn't works so well on G29, surprised me that it was a challenger for GTR2, Realfeel today looks like a desperate try to make it working correctly, and stll there's the problem of original cars that crash the game.
I only say that after 15 years, if are historic bugs, I hardly believe no one tried to recover thoose cars. This looks like when I used to write wrongly the name of .aud file in original GTL, where the game crashes if it doesn't find all files named in .car file

And this is really interesting... how does FFB works in GTR2? On G29 (PS3 mode, aka as G27 mode) the wheel vibrates a lot, that's why I would like to get a G25 or a DFGT.
Then I know that GTR2 used to work without any issue, Ferraris are grey, Nissan sounds as a Windsor, but in overall there were no bugs bad as the wheel in the mirrors appeared now.
What about Rfactor? Standard FFB doesn't works so well on G29, surprised me that it was a challenger for GTR2, Realfeel today looks like a desperate try to make it working correctly, and stll there's the problem of original cars that crash the game.
I only say that after 15 years, if are historic bugs, I hardly believe no one tried to recover thoose cars. This looks like when I used to write wrongly the name of .aud file in original GTL, where the game crashes if it doesn't find all files named in .car file
"how does FFB works in GTR2? On G29 (PS3 mode, aka as G27 mode) the wheel vibrates a lot..."

There are many canned effects available for FFB in GTR2, GTL ,and rfactor; all enabled by default if FFB setting in-game is anything but "Low". The Low setting gives basic FFB solely from the front wheels, the Medium settings adds bumps and vibration from kerbs and rumble strips; anything beyond that adds spurious vibrations and odd steering inputs.

There are UI mods that give access to all these canned settings, you can control waveform, frequency, and amplitude of vibrations induced by throttle and brake, etc. Or you can play around with them manually in the plr file; lines such as:

FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.00000" // Magnitude of steering vibration at 0mph (reference point).
FFB steer vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB steer vibe zero magnitude).
FFB steer vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.

But I recommend just using the Low FFB setting in the game (or Medium if you also want to feel the rumble strips) and ignore the rest.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back