rFactor crash after splash screen

Hi,

I have been running rFactor no problem but suddenly, I now have a CTD after the splash screen when loading the game. I have discovered the problem is with the d3d9.dll files installed by TV Style Display and Map Plugin. If I delete the d3d9.dll files, the game boots as normal, but without the custom HUD and map.
I cannot explain why the game will not work with these plugins installed. I have installed the latest windows updates recently, but I have played the game with the plugins since installing the windows updates, so I am not convinced they are the cause. I have tried uninstalling the update but the CTD issue still persists.
I have a backup of rFactor on a removable hard drive. rFactor runs fine on that with the plugins installed.

Any idea why rFactor runs on my removable hard drive and not on my PC hard drive?

I have tried a lot of different fixes but none of them have worked:
  • Uninstalled KB5022729
  • Exempt rFactor and root folder in Windows defender
  • Used the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
  • Reinstalled the plugins and unblocked the .dll files
  • Run Windows troubleshooter
  • Run a PC scan
  • Turned off DEP for rFactor
  • Run repair registry with CCleaner
  • Checked latest drivers are installed
  • Reinstalled rFactor
1676988387002.png

1676989012573.png

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
I had CTD's just recently on a C: \rFactor install. It had been working for serval hours prior to not working. Launching using a desktop icon would get nothing, tried a trace launch, no trace file. Wasn't till I used FanaLab launch GUI I got the splash screen and a popup stating a "mas file core shader error". I did a comparison to a booting backup, nothing jumped out at me. Tried removing the latest mods (personnel cars I made for CSGT 1970) and the associated changed CSGT 1970 rfm file, no change. Removed several gigs of working mods I don't use. Boots fine now even with the latest cars I added to my CSGT.

FYI: I'm running the map plugin. Pretty minimal Win10 22H2 (KB5022834 & KB5022729), 84 processes running before booting any sim.

Hope you figure yours' out, It was kind of heart breaking for me, had to walk away from the computer serval hours.

Yes, it's very frustrating. It's stumped me. I do not understand how the same root folder works fine from my external hard drive but not from my internal hard drive on the same PC.

From my very limited understanding I believe that when you install a mod or plugin that includes a d3d9.dll file it can be a pain in the ass.
I think that sometimes the file loads some stuff and then points to the actual d3d9 file, it can be that if you don't have the real d3d9 file in the correct location it fails. I have wasted far to many brain cells trying to to read the dll to find where it's pointing.

I appear to have rFactor with all mods and plugins (except rF_HighVoltage) working again. I did a complete uninstall of all mods and rFactor. I recommend using a program like Revo Uninstaller for this to delete any file the uninstallers leave behind. I then:
  1. Disc cleanup
  2. Drive defrag
  3. Registry clean using CCleaner
  4. Shut down the PC completely and turned it on again
  5. Repeated steps 1-3 immediately after logging in
I think the issue could have been caused by a Nvidia graphics card driver update, but I'll never know for sure. I have not had time to install and test the game with rF_HighVoltage. Although the game worked fine with the plugin before I ran into issues, so I don't not think it is the root cause

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back