rfactor 2 - new purchaser

You only need to purchase the tracks and cars if you actually want to use them. There's no need to purchase cars if they're just being used by your opponents.
The main issue I have with that DLC content is that its taking up gigs of space on the drive. So I would like to remove it for now until I decide to expand my install with purchased DLC. The good news is that a ton of free stuff was included in this update.

So I am wondering if I can manually remove the unwanted content. Is it possible?

Cheers and thank you for the info.

PH

Server's are often loaded with several if not MANY tracks that can rotate through the list for variety. Yes, you will need to purchase DLC tracks like the new Laser Scan Le Mans 2018 if such tracks have been included with the server you are attempting to join.
As far as cars, in the past we were required to own everything the server had(similar to the track situation) but now you only need to buy one car if the server is using DLC content. For example the GT3 fleet. You will still need to download and install the cars, but those will only be partially installed so that the text appears orange. One of the weaknesses of the rF2 online system is the lack of clear information about which cars and tracks the server has loaded.
The new Race Control area is attempting to improve in that area, there are usually two free sections where you can gain experience on the workings of rF2 online plus create a profile and begin to build your Driver Ratings.
Thanks for this great explanation!

Cheers.

PH

The main issue I have with that DLC content is that its taking up gigs of space on the drive. So I would like to remove it for now until I decide to expand my install with purchased DLC. The good news is that a ton of free stuff was included in this update.

So I am wondering if I can manually remove the unwanted content. Is it possible?

Cheers and thank you for the info.

PH

The biggest issue with rF2 is content needs 2 copies, workshop and installed which effectively doubles the size of content.

3rd party can be subscribed, copied to a archive, unsubscribed then manually installed through mod manager negating the need for workshop copy.

My rF2 is pretty modest 162GB, I have alI S397 all DLC and 88GB of 3rd party and a further 68GB archived I use sometimes.
If I added it all to workshop my rF2 would be 162GB + 88GB +68GB + 68GB = 386GB vs 162GB

I also used to archive all studio397 content which saved more space but as some of this content keeps being added to server was better just to subscribe all.

S397 free content: https://steamcommunity.com/id/studio-397/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960

Last edited:
Also with ANY workshop item, be it tracks or cars, if you un-install them, STEAM will put them back in as soon as you boot up the next time. The only way to avoid this ....I THINK...is to un-check the box in STEAM that says keep the game automatically updated. Which again becomes a problem if portions of the sim get updated and you will suddenly find you can't join a server due to an outdated version number.

Also with ANY workshop item, be it tracks or cars, if you un-install them, STEAM will put them back in as soon as you boot up the next time. The only way to avoid this ....I THINK...is to un-check the box in STEAM that says keep the game automatically updated. Which again becomes a problem if portions of the sim get updated and you will suddenly find you can't join a server due to an outdated version number.
Box won't stay unchecked I think. I don't like having no option to remove stuff from MY hard drive. I just got the sim; I'll send it all back if I can't have 100% control of its content on MY hard drive.

Another bug I have: example add-on track in workshop = DTH Le Mans 2024 ... Can't find any info on what is in the 'pack' and more importantly, what is the price?? I can't even Google that to find out. Why so little info? Is it the same track as 2018? What?

PH

Box won't stay unchecked I think. I don't like having no option to remove stuff from MY hard drive. I just got the sim; I'll send it all back if I can't have 100% control of its content on MY hard drive.

Another bug I have: example add-on track in workshop = DTH Le Mans 2024 ... Can't find any info on what is in the 'pack' and more importantly, what is the price?? I can't even Google that to find out. Why so little info? Is it the same track as 2018? What?

PH
All items in the steam workshop are free. A lot of it is junk. If there is no description on the file itself in the workshop it is probably something to ignore. (Maybe somthing for a league to use for their private races or some such ****)

As far as I know, you cannot "unsubscribe" from Official DLC. (Paid for content) It will always download again even if you delete it from your computer, I have not found a way around this. (I tried deleting official Nurburgring DLC because my computer struggled with frame rates on that track...I coudn't..it always downloaded again)

Just one of the things about rF2...it is what it is.

Last edited:
rF2 Workshop content is stored here:
Steam>steamapps>workshop>content
folder is 365960

You can search that folder for whatever workshop content is there, copy/paste the .rfcmp to the "packages" folder "Steam>steamapps>common>rFactor2>Packages"

then unsubcribe in the workshop.

Then you can manually install the file in game from the "Manage content" tab "Local files" in game. it sounds harder than it is.. once you figure it out it's easy.

Last edited:
If you don't want content unsubscribe it.
That will remove from installed folder and workshop.

There is a proviso.
If you use rfmods content in those rfmods can't be deleted until you uninstall the rfmod.
People seem to forget every server they click on will download a rfmod which will keep all content within installed no matter what you do.

That Lemans pack is a special for a event.
It is up to the creator to add information.
Personally I would steer clear of these.

My packages folder is under 1mb
It has 17 rfmods that I make for various disciplines.
All content is in at least one rfmod.
Which means nothing can be updated unless I want it to be.
Any content unprotected ( no rfmod) is at the whim of steam and workshop.

Having content divided and controlled by rfmods also reduces content lists and filter bloat.

Untitled 1.jpg

Don't do any unchecking or anything else within rF2 as it must be closed for all changes to take effect including any changes you make to settings won't be saved online. You must start the rfmod for server offline make all your settings changes ( audio whatever) then close rF2 and start server for a example.

My 2 cents, I would start using Mod Manger and MAS2 to control my stuff. ;)

rF2 Workshop content is stored here:
Steam>steamapps>workshop>content
folder is 365960

You can search that folder for whatever workshop content is there, copy/paste the .rfcmp to the "packages" folder "Steam>steamapps>common>rFactor2>Packages"

then unsubcribe in the workshop.

Then you can manually install the file in game from the "Manage content" tab "Local files" in game. it sounds harder than it is.. once you figure it out it's easy.
My best advice for this download BEYOND COMPARE ( free version )
This is great for workshop you can do basically anything without having to change folders.

beyond compare.jpg

My best advice for this download BEYOND COMPARE ( free version )
This is great for workshop you can do basically anything without having to change folders.

View attachment 710821
Agreed, but to keep it simple (and rF2 is far from simple for a new comer to the game) just copy/paste what you want into packages then (ONLY AFTER THE COPY/PASTE) unsubscribe in the workshop. Saves tons of room on the hard drive, and once you figure that out you can go deeper into the possibility that rF2 offers.

Agreed, but to keep it simple (and rF2 is far from simple for a new comer to the game) just copy/paste what you want into packages then (ONLY AFTER THE COPY/PASTE) unsubscribe in the workshop. Saves tons of room on the hard drive, and once you figure that out you can go deeper into the possibility that rF2 offers.

Yeah I not sure about that.
Say I want to archive all 3rd party.
You first need to find every number for every package then go to those folders one at a time and copy and paste the packages to a new location.

With Beyond compare you click and copy all in one hit.

But of course archive first, then uninstall rfmods, uninstall content then un subscribe.

Also to unsubscribe many items fast go to the tab " subscribed items" you can quickly click the unsubscribe tabs without having to go back and forth to individual workshop items.

Last edited:
I have kept an eye on the HD space once I realized how fast it was filling up. It has been manageable since but my rF2 has been pruned. I have only 3 tracks, 1 mod, and several add on cars. It seems I have more in my "library" than "installed" on the computer. I'm very happy with it. One thing has been a bit of a let down is the tracks. Of the really famous ones from real life, it has been difficult to find good ones and some are utterly huge files with multiple layouts on which I'll never run. I dont intend criticism at anyone who builds a track; I dont even know how to make one. Some of their issues re graphics, AI paths, and yellow flags affect the usefulness of the track.

I have kept an eye on the HD space once I realized how fast it was filling up. It has been manageable since but my rF2 has been pruned. I have only 3 tracks, 1 mod, and several add on cars. It seems I have more in my "library" than "installed" on the computer. I'm very happy with it. One thing has been a bit of a let down is the tracks. Of the really famous ones from real life, it has been difficult to find good ones and some are utterly huge files with multiple layouts on which I'll never run. I dont intend criticism at anyone who builds a track; I dont even know how to make one. Some of their issues re graphics, AI paths, and yellow flags affect the usefulness of the track.
Agreed. There are some fantastic tracks in the workshop..digga, odb, and other authors are quite good..(conversions from Assetto Corsa) and there are many that simply suck. rF2 is very difficult to mod and I don't pretend to know how. There is gold out there if you look and are patient. s.victor is a genius when it comes to rF2 tracks, and there are many others that are brilliant.

Last edited:
Absolutely. The ones I have are brilliant. I wish I had a better handle on the online part. I really enjoy the prototype/sportscar/LMP(s)/Hypercars a lot in rF2 but hard to tell which online races involve those vehicles. I should look into it more.

Very curious about AC...still wading through the 70 some odd page guide on Steam. :)

There was a way to replace workshop files with empty text files of the same name but i don't know if that still works. As long as Steam thought the old file was still there, it would not download a new one. As always, if that works, it is only good until the next version update.

All good ideas, guys! Thank you. I will check my email for a reply from rF2 support on these content control issues. will report back on their answers.

PH
Where did you email? The original rf2 support went to the company that first coded rF2: ISI. They are completely out of the game and have zero contact with rF2.
Your best bet to get a personal response fro S397 developers would be via the discord channel, I don't use Discord so the following is only a guess as to a correct link;

rF2 paint by numbers again lol

This is how I handle all DLC S397/3rd party.
Old showroom was added today.

Note all folder locations.
Never start rF2 during these process.
Beyond Compare set to "show only files" and filter out everything except *.rfcmp. Otherwise list will have txt jpg psd and others.

BC RF2.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you email? The original rf2 support went to the company that first coded rF2: ISI. They are completely out of the game and have zero contact with rF2.
Your best bet to get a personal response fro S397 developers would be via the discord channel, I don't use Discord so the following is only a guess as to a correct link;
An automated response from a support link for rF2 provided by Steam had this link: https://support.studio-397.com/
I got a response and supposedly a support ticket was started. I added detail via their response email link, No response yet to the ticket ...

Cheers.

PH

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes