rFactor 2 | Nürburgring Nordschleife PBR Update, GT3 AI BOP And New Build Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 released an array of new updates to rFactor 2 yesterday, with considerable improvements having been brought to the Nürburgring Nordschleife among other changes.
  • Nürburgring Nordschleife PBR Update.
  • GT3 AI Balance of Performance.
  • New Build Release.
Busy times for rFactor 2 fans! New build updates to the core simulation, the epic Nürburgring Nordschleife and Grand Prix Circuit and GT3 AI BOP changes were all released to the simulation yesterday.

nurburgring_2020_october_screen_01.jpg

The new build.

Latest Build Update Notes:
  • Fixed some cars showing all white in the showroom
  • Fixed cars showing in the list that shouldn't be there at server join
  • Fixed chrome material not working in the showroom
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a client to load an old version of a track when joining at server join
NEW UI Only
  • Added real descriptions for cars and tracks in the content selection list
nurburgring_2020_october_screen_08.jpg

The Nürburgring update.

Nürburgring Nordschleife Update Notes:
  • Comprehensive & Extensive PBR Update to the entire Circuit
  • New Textures for Roads & Terrain
  • New Features on Roads such as dust and improved real road dynamics
  • Reworked outer terrain materials
  • Reviewed trees and treeline objects, materials and placement
  • All new crowds
  • Reviewed night-lighting
  • Further optimisation pass
  • Added "Grand Prix No Chicane" Layout
  • Added Support for up to 90 vehicles on Nords layouts using GP pits.
  • Added New Support Vehicles
  • Various General Fixes
  • Extended white line on layouts using the GP pit exit so cars can merge safely further down
  • Moved tire barriers in that slightly blocked pit entry transition on 24H layout
nurburgring_2020_october_screen_07.jpg

The GT3 AI BOP Update

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 2019 v1.77
  • AI: More forward downforce
Audi R8LMS GT3 2019 v1.51
  • AI: Added slightly more grip
Bentley Continental GT3 2020 v1.11
  • Adjustments to aerodynamics to reduce excessive front lift.
  • Fine tuned to ride height sensitivity.
  • Fixed cams
  • Updated brake disc materials
  • Adjusted cokcpit AO
  • Fixed shadow in showroom
  • AI: Added grip, especially front end
Callaway Corvette GT3 2017 v2.91
  • Fixed wet tires starting temp
  • Adjusted collision mesh
  • Adjusted lower LODs (removed endurance light covers)
Ferrari 488 GT3 2020 v1.29
  • Fixed onboard cam clipping the curbs
  • Adjusted bonnet cam
  • Fixed clipping TV cams
  • Adjusted rev lights on the rev limiter
Ferrari 488 GTE 2020 v1.83
  • Fixed onboard cam clipping the curbs
  • Adjusted bonnet cam
  • Fixed clipping TV cams
  • Adjusted rev lights on the rev limiter
  • AI: Slightly improved pace
McLaren 650S GT3 2017 v2.77
  • AI: Reduced understeer
Mercedes AMG GT3 2017 v2.87
  • AI: Reduced spinning in certain situations
  • AI: Reduced understeer
  • Adjusted collsion mesh
Porsche 911 GT3 R v1.69
  • Added speedo to dash
Radical RXC GT3 2017 v2.77
  • AI: Slightly slowed down

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the simulation? Head over to the RaceDepartment rF2 sub forum and open up a new thread today - let our epic community be your guide!

nurburgring_2020_october_screen_09.jpg

nurburgring_2020_october_screen_04.jpg

Last edited:
nords is a vram monster, lower track detail, or opponent detail or aa or resolution etc. i have 8gb vega56 and have no issues on nords with 39 gt3 cars, even with 10 gt3 cars vram usage is 8000mb, when vram exceeds the game write to ddr so get a faster ddr and new gen cpu.

I'm getting that too: since the update my Nordschleife 24Hr version is broken. 20-25 fps in VR without having changed any settings at all. Undriveable.
Everything else in rf2runs like it did before the update. With everything else I'm seeing a solid 79-80 fps in VR ( with a Rift S )
I have:
CBASH and SHADER folders content deleted (which I've NEVER had to do up until now btw. ) No change.
Installed the Nvidia drivers again just to be sure.
Shame really, it was my favorite track before they broke it. Don't you just love rF2 ? One step forwards, two steps back :D

it is a shame. It’s one of my favorite track.

they need to drop the model quality of the pits and Mercedes arena. Or have more loads but I guess that will only be resolved next year minimum.

it used to be playable but now it’s completely unplayable. It’s absurd.

nords is a vram monster, lower track detail, or opponent detail or aa or resolution etc. i have 8gb vega56 and have no issues on nords with 39 gt3 cars, even with 10 gt3 cars vram usage is 8000mb, when vram exceeds the game write to ddr so get a faster ddr and new gen cpu.
I have the exact same GPU as a placeholder until I can get my hands on one of the new GPUs. The rest of my system is pretty high end. I am experiencing low FPS on this track as well, not sure why. I tried a bunch of other tracks with the same settings and seem to work just fine, so there is definitely something going on. Hopefully we can figure out what is going on.

I'm running a GTX 1080 (not Ti) with 8Gb Vram. CPU is a new gen. i9 with 8 cores, clocked@ 4.8Ghz. And 32Gb RAM. All on a Gigabyte MB with an ME SSD.
I don't think my system is too slow to run rF2.
Before the update I could run a race with 30 opponents without problems. Now I can only drive in VC with no other cars. I can drive hot laps all day by myself, but where's the fun in that?
Or drive in pancake mode instead of VC, but that is not an option after driving exclusively in VR for over 2 years. Once you've got used to VR, there's no going back :)

Last edited:
I'm running a GTX 1080 (not Ti) with 8Gb Vram. CPU is a new gen. i9 with 8 cores, clocked@ 4.8Ghz. And 32Gb RAM. All on a Gigabyte MB with an ME SSD.
I don't think my system is too slow to run rF2.
Before the update I could run a race with 30 opponents without problems. Now I can only drive in VC with no other cars. I can drive hot laps all day by myself, but where's the fun in that?
Or drive in pancake mode instead of VC, but that is not an option after driving exclusively in VR for over 2 years. Once you've got used to VR, there's no going back :)

I experienced a strange issue as well with my RTX 2080 on my laptop specially in RFactor 2 in latest updates as I never had stutters and low framerates before. I will do more investigation this weekend, but I noticed the GPU Core and Mem Clock don't boost anymore in Rfactor 2. GPU Core Clock even stays around 500MHz and mem 5000MHz, while normally it boosts around 1700-1950Mhz Core and 6800Hz Mem. My i7 9750 CPU is running fine at ~4Ghz. I updated to latest NVIDA driver still no change. But when I test 3D Mark it does boost to to ~1900Mh GPU Core clock like normal.

I did make sure my NVIDIA GPU was selected in RFactor 2.

Dear Studio 397: please don't "update" any more tracks the way you've "updated" the Nordschleife. And especially please don't break LeMans like you've broken Nords.
To get the 24hr version to run with 30 cars again, I've had to turn all the Graphic settings so far down that it looks worse than it did before you "updated" it.
RF2: one step forward, two steps back......

Last edited:
Good performance for me, no issue, maybe because i have 32G of RAM?
I noticed RF2 is a bit more blurry lately in VR though, not sure why (Odyssey + WMR, 2070S)...Any advice?
edit: bluriness solved, had messed with my settings...

Last edited:
No FPS drops on my end, and I have a crappy old PC.
It looks better than ever before and it runs buttery smooth.
I'm trashing the Metalmoro AJR, it's such a blast to drive this thing around the Ring.

I have 32Gb of RAM too, see my post further back in the thread. The problem lies somewhere else

RAM is not the issue, video RAM is the critical bit. It's well known that these large tracks are consuming loads of VRAM. The easy test is to lower texture detail and leave everything else at max and see if it helps. Once the amount of VRAM exceeds the physical amount on your GPU, rF2 performance tanks.

So I have been testing some more and the biggest contributing factor for low FPS is opponent detail. I turned it down a notch to high If I remember correctly, and my FPS basically more than doubled, without touching anything else. If you haven’t tried, play around with this setting and see if it helps. Everything works great for me now

@GuitarTech

GtX 1080
I7 9700K
Ram 16 Go 4000 Mhz
rift s

Works pretty good

Nurburgring combined
90 cars
10 class (approx 35 different cars
Clouds + 02:30 PM
No rain
No timescale
6 AI visible

Nvidia control panel : max texture quality + lod negative bias CLAMP
AA level 5
Circuit detail + cockpit detail + texture detail MAX ULTRA

ALL the rest deactivated or low

I made a compromise : deactivate mirrors.

Supersampling 169% (correspond to 1.3 pixel per... On oculus debug tool
I use open Composite not steam vr.

FIRST LAP 9 MIN
Some stuttering especially first 3 minutes.
Then good performance.

I prefer to make qualif but works with race.

Good image quality.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes