rFactor 2 Formula E DLC Preview and Marcel Offermans Interview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E DLC 1.jpg

Studio 397 have released a new preview video of the upcoming Formula E content for rFactor 2, and we sit with head man Marcel Offermans to discuss what Formula E means to the simulation...

Love it or loathe it, Formula E is very quickly forcing itself into the racing limelight following a seemingly endless number of manufacturers flocking to the all electric single seater racing series in recent months. Brainchild of Spanish businessman Alejandro Agag, the FIA supported Formula E series has made a steady start in life as it looks to break into the wider motorsport consciousness of fans brought up on the sounds and smells of the combustion engine.

Running electric power and featuring some high profile drivers, the series has really stepped up a gear towards the end of the previous season and the build up to the opening round of 2017/18, confirming top level manufacturers such as Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and Audi all in recent months, some very experience World Endurance Championship calibre drivers and an already established line up of works teams and well sorted privateer entries..

As a marker of the level of popularity the series now seems to have achieved, Studio 397 have taken their relationship with the controversial championship to the next level with confirmation that a new DLC is on the way to rFactor 2, bringing all the cars, teams and drivers of the category to the incredible rFactor 2 simulator. Below you can check out the preview video and catch up on our brief interview with the head of Studio 397, Marcel Offermans;

RD: So Marcel, Formula E? What attracted you to the series and made you think the cars and tracks would be a good match for rFactor 2?

MO
: There are a lot of things that attracted us to Formula E to be honest. For one it is definitely a rising star, attracting more top drivers, teams and manufacturers in record time than any other series. It does a lot of things right in terms of engagement and leveraging its unique capabilities. It also early on recognized the value of esports and the synergy that comes from close collaboration, which is why we're so proud to be able to work with them to bring their series to the leading platform in terms of simulation: rFactor 2!

RD: You have the first official licence to fully recreate the series as a whole, how close is the technical partnership between S397 and Formula E, what sort of involvement have they allowed the studio to enjoy?

MO
: We have had the opportunity to work with Formula E very closely over the last couple of months, and continue to do so. This means for example that we get highly accurate CAD designs of their tracks including all the barriers they install and several other aspects like ambient sounds. For the cars we have worked with both Formula E, teams and manufacturers to get the correct physics, 3D and sound data.

RD: So will you be replicating the full grid in this new pack, and which season will it cover?

MO
: The pack will come with the cars, teams and drivers of the upcoming 2018 season that starts at Hong Kong in the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd of December.

rF2 Formula E DLC 3.jpg

RD: And how about tracks? I see the pack will come with Hong Kong, will we be seeing more from the Formula E schedule over time?

MO: Yes, we anticipate to bring more tracks over time. We don't have a specific timeline yet.

RD: rF2 is a very advanced simulation, how have you found the challenges of modelling a rather unique form of racing compared to the usual combustion engine cars seen traditionally in the sim?

MO
: Obviously a Formula E race is different from your typical race with cars that use combustion engines. During a race you are allowed to use two cars and each race is very tactical because you need to manage the available power so you can make it to the end. We have obviously simulated the electric engine and these aspects and like in the real races you will typically use the maximum available power and downforce during qualification and for the race switch to a setup with minimum downforce and slightly less power. During the race you can constantly adjust your "regeneration" settings, giving you the option to either regenerate more energy when braking and as a consequence brake a little less efficient or regenerate less and have a shorter braking distance. When battling other cars on the track, that can become very tricky and also a lot of fun, as we've already found in private testing.

RD: Obvious question but one probably most popular.. when and how much?!?!

MO
: The how much question we will reveal when we release the pack. The "when" is easier: this will be out before the season opener, so next week!

So there you have it folks, Formula E is coming to rFactor 2 next week! Stay tuned for more as and when it becomes available..

rF2 Formula E DLC 2.jpg

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Excited to see Formula E cars coming to rFactor 2? Do you think the series will transfer well to simulation racing? Looking forward to seeing more quality Studio 397 DLC content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Personally no fan of Formula E, but I think it is absolutely excellent that rF2 have an official series licence and hopefully this is the first of many more officially licenced cars and series coming to the sim.

Although as a real world series FE doesn't do it for me, I think it could be fun in sim with battery conservation and boost, plus those funny tight street tracks. I'm very much looking forward to it :)

Personally no fan of Formula E, but I think it is absolutely excellent that rF2 have an official series licence and hopefully this is the first of many more officially licenced cars and series coming to the sim.
They could snatch the market from Sector 3 Studio, as R3E is lacking the online player base, and needs a modern upgrade to it's visuals, physic, ffb and features.

Free Disagree for all!
Ahahhahaha thinking the same!
I like FE? I don't know, never tested one (on SIM of course).
I will buy it? Of course rF2 needs support and the simple fact they managed to license FE is the sign rF2 is growing, S397 did a great job on their first year!
@tonio duran go buy Japanese cars pack dlc instead to troll people...you seems more suited for that kind of dlc...

Man they should upgrade the clothes of the flag dudes

I hope it is FE paying rF2 and not the contrary. Not a fan of this series so I'd rather see this investment/work hours going somewhere else. Tho if it brings hybrids could be a good thing maybe if LMP1 H arrives, but now the class is pretty much dead so idk :D this is confusing lol
(not a fan of driving modern F1 so I dont mind if they lack the proper thing)

Last edited:
Might be a Day 1 purchase for me. Formula E, they're not my favorite cars but they are pretty unique so I'm expecting to be entertained by some official DLC content. I hope car swaps are in the game. I like the idea of throwing a used up car in the garage and hopping into a new one, all the while hoping not to smash into the new one as you fly into the stall. And hopefully this means we're getting multiple Formula E tracks. There's lots of challenging and frankly weird layouts that I would love to use.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 104 18.8%
  • €151-500

Votes: 146 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 89 16.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 47 8.5%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 53 9.6%
  • €3001-5000