rFactor 2 December Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 UI Concept.png

Studio 397, the new developers of rFactor 2, have released their final development roadmap of 2016, and it reveals some interesting content with regards to the future of rFactor 2.

latest roadmap update confirms the studio believe they have found a fix to the often troubling NVidia driver crash issues, and a new build is due to be release in just two days time featuring the driver fix. This is great news for a number of sim racers who have suffered frustrating issues on a selection of circuits worst affected by the driver errors, hopefully this new build addresses those issues and allows a soother experience for the affected players.

Other highlights from the update include news that the DX11 update is making faster progress than initially expected, and the studio have even shared a concept image of the proposed new UI for rFactor 2, designed to offer a more modern image for the title and also preparing the game for the upcoming VR functionality due to be released hopefully alongside DX11.

You can read the full December Development Roadmap release below:

"On Tuesday, December 20th, we will release build 1108. This is our first Steam-only release, and we would like to remind you of our offer to migrate to Steam for free, which will be extended until January 31st, 2017.

To reiterate where we are, we are making really good progress with a new development team coupled with a new vision. As long time sim racers, we understand the need for a strong platform with great content, physics and visuals as well as competition, both online and offline.

A detailed changelog will be posted alongside the actual release, but some of the highlights of this build include a huge update to our Stock Car rules, better support for running Steam in offline mode – which can be very useful in LAN situations and a fix for the nVidia driver bug that has been plaguing some users of certain series of nVidia cards.

Good news! We’re ahead of our DX11 development schedule and are internally testing the first builds now. There is still a lot to do in terms of adding new features such as depth of field and motion blur effects on external cameras as well as overall improvements such as the shadow system. Needless to say, the results so far are looking good. We are really excited about the capability we have already and where it’s going. Our goal to keep the engine backward compatible seems achievable, and in the upcoming months we will start engaging the modding community providing information on the improved engine and how best to utilise it.

As we’ve announced last month, we are completely revamping the user interface of rFactor 2 to make it easier to use, nicer to look at and ready for VR. We’re leveraging modern web technology and are currently in the middle of the design phase. To give you a first impression, we’ve added a screenshot of a WIP car selection screen (see top of article)

Concerning content, we are very excited with the direction we are headed, certainly in the way plan to match cars and tracks. We will start to develop this approach over the next few months.

We have a number of car developments underway. With our current focus on the Radical, we are adding the finishing touches to the 3D model right now while we wait for some additional data to complete the physics model.

More great news! We have just signed a license with General Motors for the 2016 model of the Corvette C7.R. Development of the model and physics will start early next year. The 2016 model has significant aerodynamic improvements with a new, larger splitter and a large diffuser to generate more downforce. The car is the weapon of choice for Corvette Racing in their 2017 IMSA campaign as well as their effort to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As an added bonus, this car will also contribute to improving car physics overall.

In terms of tracks, we’ve already shown you previews of NOLA Motorsports Park in earlier updates, and we’re now in the final stages of development. The track will feature 5 different road course layouts and 5 different karting layouts, and we’re currently placing track side objects, such as grand stands, trees and a ferris wheel and are working on AI paths. It’s looking good for release early next year.
rFactor 2 NOLA.jpg

Now let’s talk about online. Since the release of rFactor 2 the pricing consisted of a one time payment and an online subscription, with the option of buying a lifetime version of that subscription. Over the years we have received a lot of questions about charging extra for online access, and what people were getting for this in return.

We understand that online racing is key to the future of the platform. As online racers ourselves, we have decided to provide online access for everybody with the Steam version for free – simplifying the pricing model and encouraging everybody to race online. Steam will take care of automated updates. We recognise that some of you have made this purchase over the past few months, and it was a difficult decision. However, we’re positive that you’ll agree we’ve made the right decision for the future of the platform.

With the Steam Winter Sale approaching what better way for you to relax and driver rFactor 2. Look out for an exclusive offer for the holiday period!

That’s all for our last monthly update of 2016. Happy Simracing and have a great holiday. We hope to see you all in the new year!"

rFactor 2 is a PC only racing simulation developed by Image Space Incorporated and latterly Studio 397. The game is available to purchase now on the Steam Network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to take part in some of the best League and Club Racing events on the internet. Interact with our vibrant rFactor community in our dedicated rFactor 2 sub forum, download mods for the game or share a setup or two for your favourite cars.

Do you like the sound of the latest roadmap? Looking forward to DX11 and VR? Which pieces of content would you like to see added going forward? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Sometimes you win sometimes you lose .
This is the only way to attempt to save RF2 or there wont be a RF2 in 2018.

This change in direction is much needed to close the ground on all the Sims that have overtaken RF2 , over he last few years

With ISI no longer at the helm & with people who seem to understand what the people want to see RF2 been developed into.

More updated Graphics a much need overall of the UI & official licensed content are all much needed, Along with Vr form those who want that sort of thing.

I think ISI had lost its way & interest in developing the Sim outside of its custom professional systems for racing teams.

Moving on to steam did not bring the much needed boost in sales that ISI had hopped for I think.
So the deal with S397 seem the only way to save what should have been the best sim on the market, had it not lost its way & allowed the likes of AC & P-Cars & the much revamped Sector 3 Racroom to over take it with cutting edge looks & slicker slicker PR. while lacking the depth of RF2's Psychics & depth.

Still its going to be a big mountain to climb back seing how much momentum the rivals have gained over RF2 in the last few years alone.

I am sure it can be done though.

I guess some people here don't buy product sold at discounted price to avoid making those that paid full price mad
That's not a fair comparison. When that happens you as an early adopter had the chance to buy a finished full working product. Heavy discounts happen to products that manufacturers need to get rid of.

In case of this game it's still not finished and it's not that early adopters have been spoiled with an awesome game either since day one.

I am all for continous development and awesome games but this ain't right.

And us early supporters are to blame for that?

A good compromise to satisfy those with a lifetime sub is to give us x amount of game codes that we can hand out to a friend. Or something similar. Won't cost 397 anything either. But it will get rid of the bad taste in a lot of mouths.

Some form of compensation needs to happen as now early adopters and fans of the first hour are being rightfully upset

How long have you had Lifetime Bram?

Personally I've had Lifetime since 2012 and easily got my monies worth from it (when comparing to how much I've spent on iRacing & AC), therefore should S397 wish to charge me for DLC I shall gladly oblige, after all they're not making this game for free. I certainly don't need any sort of compensation, if anything I shouldv'e paid ISI more!

• Deleted member 130869

Certain people's disagreement towards criticism would be very different if this was a different game. I don't disagree with everyone having access as it was silly to split the community that way, but it was a way around paid DLC. Whether or not users got their money's worth of lifetime access since 2012 or whenever is a different argument. There will be the vocal few who will chime in on that.

Now with the possibility of paid DLC, voiding the reason so many purchased lifetime, some remediation would be the right thing to do. But there still isn't announced paid DLC so there is still plenty of opportunity for Studio 397 to address this. But paid DLC on content previously announced as licensed would feel very, very sour. The whole mess was created by ISI and so was the push for lifetime and renewals just before passing the game to Studio 397, but it still doesn't change who the consumers are, and what they are/feel entitled to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly don't need any sort of compensation, if anything I shouldv'e paid ISI more!
Since day 1. And isn't it typical I had to wait for four years to actually use it online? RF2 has awesome tech under the hood but the game looked terrible, performed terrible, poor stock content, slow development etc.

Sure if you don't have other games to enjoy that look better, perform better and offer great online racing fork out some more money to ISI if you wish.

I am very principle about this and feel upset. So far the money/playtime ratio with RF2 has been way off compared to other recent titles.

It's a great move that 397 was founded and I have all the confidence in Marcel Offermans c.s. and the future of the game but I get a horrible taste in my mouth with regards to my lifetime sub and how this is handled.

@Bram

I can only hope you can do the same as @Marcel Offermans one day. ;)

Dump the online subscription at RD. :cool:
Sure. If somebody else pays the bills.

But I see what you try to point out but a) we actually offer organized daily races b) online leagues c) driver training d) ad free site and a gazillion other things for 9 bucks a year.

What did ISI organize again online?

It's not about wether you got your money worth or not. It's about the principle. IIRC rf2 costs more than £60 on steam right now if you want to have lifetime access to multiplayer. Scrapping online pass is a good thing, saying 'f*ck you' to people who actually paid for it in the first place isn't. Especially when they go ahead with their plans of paid DLC. This would be triple dipping on those people that have supported this sin the most.

If this sim was worth anywhere near the amount that base game + online pass + paid DLC + paid mods indicates, it would be fine. But let's not kid ourselves here, rf2 is nowhere near that level and won't even catch up in the next 2 years.

• Deleted member 130869

Am I the only lifetime-sub person who doesn't see the issue? If had bought the game when it came out (like I did), and then paid yearly after that, I would've spent more money than I have on the lifetime sub.

I've stated before I am glad to see everyone receiving online access. I know that for a sizable number of people with whom I've raced, it's too little too late as they've moved on. The only issue is with what has been brought up already about diluting the Lifetime and DLC purpose.

Some can say they got their money's worth. Some will say they gladly pay twice. Some will not agree with the previous two groups. I haven't gotten my $'s worth of it but I am patient. What would be an issue, which I will not complain until an official announcement is made about paid DLC and the first piece of paid content is announced (if I have to complain at all), is Lifetime not receiving some form of season pass gratitude. That and previously announced licenses - which in my case were the main reason for the purchase ... and am still waiting for any of them - should not be turned into paid content, that would be the biggest consumer disservice of it all. Assetto Corsa, for example, generated large criticism (and fuel to those fans of certain titles) when it went on sale while still under Early Access... however Spa became free DLC at least.

But Studio 397 still has the ability to address all of this, and it may turn out there's nothing to be annoyed about. Just waiting on what will come next from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since day 1. And isn't it typical I had to wait for four years to actually use it online? RF2 has awesome tech under the hood but the game looked terrible, performed terrible, poor stock content, slow development etc.

Sure if you don't have other games to enjoy that look better, perform better and offer great online racing fork out some more money to ISI if you wish.

I am very principle about this and feel upset. So far the money/playtime ratio with RF2 has been way off compared to other recent titles.

It's a great move that 397 was founded and I have all the confidence in Marcel Offermans c.s. and the future of the game but I get a horrible taste in my mouth with regards to my lifetime sub and how this is handled.

The game obviously wasn't to your liking, I wish you luck in getting compensation.

The DX11 bits is the only interesting news. Sad they have some very weird priorities, like re-releasing a free car instead of finishing that Nissan from a few years ago. Or NOLA track? What the heck? If they are going for some obscure track, at least do one that isn't flat.

As it stands, rF2 future doesn't really look that much bright than when it was under ISI (lack of) development. Hope they can shuffle around their priorities and make the game at least worthy of being called current gen.

My only worry is that they still barely even acknowledged the issue. The lack of communication on the issue that arguably should be addressed very quickly and transparently is deeply concerning. They either don't know what to do with this mess or already have the plans to do something that will leave a lot of people angry. Otherwise they would have calmed te community down long ago.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back