rFactor 1 Runtime Terminate Message - Is There a fix?

When I open rFactor and load a track in a race weekend, I get an error message saying: "rFactor has requested to terminate runtime" or something like that. I thought the 4gb patch would fix it but when trying to install it, I select rFactor.exe, and it says: "can't open executable". Now I don't know what to do to fix this. Does anyone know how to fix both problems? I'm using the IMSA 2023 mod by Vasco Silvia: https://mega.nz/file/oEdwmRJZ#ZAHcVRd-bIGpunpEp3NLBpMgk_llWLGp9ZDbP6yfI2s
Idk if thats causing it.

Has rfactor been running normally on your system or is this the first time?

If the first time, runtime errors are usually related to DX; make sure you have DX9 installed (this will be the 2008 or 2010 version); do not install rfactor in any "Program Files" folder, and run as admin. W10 and W11 will block most attempts to edit exe files or dlls in Program Files. Also DEP will block many such edits, you may have to temporarily disable it.

Hi

I have run rFactor 1 perfectly before the runtime errors. It just started today, and every time I load a circuit, it happens, and the game crashes. I'll try your recommendations and I'll get back to you. :)

Hi again,

I tried your recommendations with no success. I installed DX9 and selected it in the config. I lowered the graphics too and did not run the game in a programs folder. (although I never did) Still getting the runtime error. Anything else to help? *Check Attachment*

Attachments

• Runtime Error.jpg
    Runtime Error.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 50
Does a clean install now work or does it crash also? If rfactor was running fine on your system previously and a clean install is still throwing that message, my next suspicion is vid drivers or driver settings.

(FWIW, DX is fully backwards compatible, but not all software is forwards compatible. From DX10 on MS compiled the DX functions into fewer, larger, files; so DX12 contains all the functions of DX11, DX10, and DX9. Software written since DX10 calls all functions merely by name, but software written prior to DX10 may call by path and name; thus windows will immediately find a call for "ThisFunction" but report a "file not found" for "D3D9_43.dll/ThisFunction" and the program crashes. When receiving a function call windows will search the most recent DX first then work its way down the list, so having numerous DX versions installed is no problem.)

From another thread (you've done most of this but I include to be complete)-
"As mod developers continue to push quality of their mods and unfortunately this has started to really push the boundaries of what rFactor 1 and it's gMotor2 engine can handle. This is especially so when there are large numbers of cars involved in a race. The following are a few suggestions that may help to reduce or eliminate these problems if they occur:
  • Lower your graphics settings. Most mods and tracks used by GPVWC have been adjusted to provide several levels of graphics quality and with them come reduced memory load. Simple to do and can often make the difference if the situation is borderline.
  • Use a fresh install. This is crucial to all new mods as many mods have cross-over files. Download yourself a copy of rFactor Lite and install the mod as a clean install in a different folder from other installations of rFactor.
  • Run with fullproc & highprio. Due to it's age, rFactor isn't set to fully utilise modern processors by default. To maximize it's processor use simply create a shortcut of your rFactor.exe, then right click it and go to properties. At the end of the target line add the following: +fullproc +highprio - this gives rFactor full priority and allows all processors to run rFactor so it can be run to its maximum potential. Example: "C:\Users\[YOUR PC NAME]\Desktop\GPVWC 2012\rFactor\rFactor.exe" +fullproc +highprio
  • Use the 4GB Patch. As a 32-bit program rFactor can only use a certain amount of RAM by default. If you have a 64-bit Operation System and have 4GB RAM or more, then you can patch rFactor to use all your available RAM. The 4GB patch is located here: Link (Simply run this exe and select the location of your rFactor.exe)."
A drastic move, but one to which I've resorted on occasion (recommended by MS as a solution to FlightSim issues)
-Completely remove the vid drivers
-Run the display driver uninstaller (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to remove all orphan registry entries
-Remove all versions of Visual C++ (these are the DX installs)
-Restart windows (probably done automatically)
-Install vid drivers (in this situation most will also reinstall necessary DX components, but usually not DX9)
-Check "Programs and Features" to verify Visual C++ installs, reinstall DX9 if necessary

Also try running sfc, it's possible some system file is corrupt (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e).

Even worse, a thread on rf2 mentions a Win10 update that broke DX, requiring a reinstall of windows.

I deleted all Microsoft Visual C++ installs and restarted my computer. (Before that I ran sfc twice) I then reinstalled it and got DirectX. Right now, it loads in the track, but some car models don’t even load and are see through and also it keeps crashing when I exit the pits. Still using the IMSA 2023 mod. Also still getting runtime errors all the time.

Last edited:
Ok, it seems I cannot use more than 10 ai. If I use more, the cars either don’t load or deform into polygons or something. I can run track mods too such as AlexMaggio’s Spa-Francorchamps which was not working before. I am running my game at medium settings for everything except for special effects which is low. Again, I am still using the IMSA 2023 Mod by Vasco Silvia. I cannot install the 4gb patch because it says: “Cannot open executable”. Also, if I use like 15 ai, I get another Runtime error or the game loads and crashes immediately. Is there a fix for the # of cars I can have in a race and ALSO for the 4gb patch not installing?

Are you running the patch in admin mode? It sounds like the system is blocking access to the exe.

What happens if you use default cars, not that mod? The limited number of AI sounds like a memory issue, often caused by new mods with high res models and skins meeting insufficient RAM. Need to make sure the game runs well with default cars and tracks, then add mods.

Yep, that sounds like a RAM issue. Using 4gb patch is the only fix I know of, but in your case something - DEP or Windows defender or Antivirus - blocks the modified rFactor.exe probably.
Not exactly the fix that is needed in that case but you can try to run rF1 with shortcut commands for multi-core support and high priority and see if that helps.

BTW have you tried the nocd for rFactor 1?
There are two of them - one is older and is about 3,07 mb
The other one is newer, about 4,61 mb, supposedly more compatible with modern Windows and works with RFE plugin. It is included in some newer mods like F1 2022 by A&M.

Last edited:
@blackskull101 Idk what nocd is and also the 4gb patch not working is not caused by windows defender or DEP. @jgf I teied running the patch in Admin but got the same message too. It only works on BAT files, which is included in the Fanatec GT World Challenge car pack by Vasco Silvia (v1.6). Maybe its the version of the patch or something. I made a seperate install of the game and put the GT World Challenge pack on it and I can run 15 cars there no problem.

I think its fine now. I was able to install the 4gb patch and now I can use more cars. I don't think I can use the max 35 cars for the IMSA 2023 Series since it would be too much for gMotor2 to handle :) . Right now, I'm racing with 21-25 cars which I'm happy with! Thanks to anyone who helped, I really appreciate it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get more cars ingame without getting an error, please let me know!

When I open rFactor and load a track in a race weekend, I get an error message saying: "rFactor has requested to terminate runtime" or something like that. I thought the 4gb patch would fix it but when trying to install it, I select rFactor.exe, and it says: "can't open executable". Now I don't know what to do to fix this. Does anyone know how to fix both problems? I'm using the IMSA 2023 mod by Vasco Silvia: https://mega.nz/file/oEdwmRJZ#ZAHcVRd-bIGpunpEp3NLBpMgk_llWLGp9ZDbP6yfI2s Idk if thats causing it.

ANTI-CRASH PREVENTION

YOU MUST USE DX9 WITH THE BAJA MOD!!

/// Step 1
When you first launch the game it will open the Config window. Set your resolution and refresh rate but leave shader level on auto and leave V-Sync turned off. Windowed mode is recommended to allow you to ALT-TAB to desktop without having the game crash. Once you hit OK the game will launch (can take a few seconds).

//// Step 2
Once your game is open, copy your profile from your main rFactor installation (rFactor/UserData/YourName) to retain all your settings specific to your PC.

//// Step 3
Download and install Bill2's Process Manager and create a rule for your rFactor.exe to use all your CPU cores. The game wont recognise how amazing your CPU is without this.

//// Step 4
Download and install Borderless Gaming which makes ALT-TAB'ing work flawlessly

//// Step 5
You can use your video card control panel to force the game to use anti-aliasing as using the games config to set it doesn't work correctly. I'm not familiar with AMD products but for NVIDIA control panel you do it through 'manage 3d settings' > 'program settings' and its pretty self explanatory. DM me if you need help.

//// Step 6
Initialize rFactor via the rFactor.bat File to automatically load high CPU Priority and full CPU Core usage to add an extra layer of protection for the Game when running.

try this and tell me if it works for you, i had the same problem but with wec23/imsa23 used together

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.