Rf2 vs ACC

I've been playing the old RF2 since it came out, but recently lost access to it.

I bought AC recently as it was cheap and I like it but it's much more a game than a sim.

I will be mostly playing off line without spending on DLC, but using free mods. I'd like to race online a bit but can't make leagues.
I race every class without preference. The AI behaviour is more important.

Rfactor2 Steam and Assett Corsa Competizione are currently about the same price, though ACC seems to come with a lot more content in the Ultimate pack which matches RF2's price.

ACC seems more glitzy than gutsy, but Rfactor2 used to be very complicated.

Which would you choose if you could only have one?

Yes, but only an amazing 32 color at a time from the 4096 color palette / 640 max res and the Atari STe .. same issue I had both ... so I guess we have progressed over 30+ yrs :laugh:
When I was first typing that out, I put 32 down, and then decided to double check, and THAT is where the 4096 came from. ..lol... (I think they both used the same CPU, a Motorola something-or-other)((6800???)) boy that is pulling weeds from my brain!
I had the 500 until I could not play Wing Commander or Ultima which became PC specific at some point. It was a sad day I traded in my Commodore Amiga 500 with the added memory and a 2nd hdd for some pos IBM clone....

Last edited:
(I think they both used the same CPU, a Motorola something-or-other)((6800???)) boy that is pulling weeds from my brain!

Motorola 68000 that didn't require all the flaky memory management to address more than 64kB that the 8086 required. The 6800 was an older 8-bit CPU.

Personally, I don't feel racing games became sims until the '98-99 timeframe.

Last edited:
Motorola 68000 that didn't require all the flaky memory management to address more than 64kB that the 8086 required. The 6800 was an older 8-bit CPU.

Personally, I don't feel racing games became sims until the '98-99 timeframe.
Yes, I agree mostly because of GPL (98), but which greatly improved graphics wise in later years :):):). Due mostly to an outstanding British/European modding community :thumbsup:. Sadly, I've had to stop playing it due to my recent hardware upgrades ... primarily the drivers for my 34"3440x1440 monitor cause all kinds of setup/in game screen selection/lockup issues :cry::cry::cry:.

P.S. My partial solution was GPL Mod pack for Assetto Corsa .... Yes, only 64k of memory (machine language programing efficiency vs interpreted programming languages) ...:whistling:

rF2 cannot get rid of the same feeling which rF1 had, which I kindof hated throughout all those years of playing (rF1), but since there was almost nothing on the market at that time, I have been stuck to it somehow. I still didn`t forget it. I hoped that rF2 is different, but uninstalled it for good after a day.

I jump between ACC and rF2 effortlessly and the physics of the GT3's in both games are very similar.

I would really like to know how you accomplish this, as I find the contrast in the physics (not just the FFB) to be huge between the two titles.

I have tried SC2/TD setups from at least 5 different and well-respected FFB setup posters (NuScorpii, Gergo Panker, etc) and I cannot get ACC to feel anything like rF2, which, IMO is the closest I can get to my real world experience with slick shod racing cars. Before I started my own company, I used to do track days with WEC drivers, past and present, and owned a couple of decent performance cars.

To me, ACC is closer to Gran Turismo Sport than it is to rF2. And, as a big fan of AC (I bought it many times for friends and on both PS4 and PC) I really want ACC to be a great simulation. But it isn't a sim right now, - it's more simcade than sim. The mid-corner downshift max rev engine braking is ridiculous, the FFB is frustratingly numb on everything except kerbs (and even, then, no GT3 racer can consider this to be a simulation of kerbs:
). You need a full 90-degree slide to feel front tyre scrub and the final 10m of ABS is the only time you get wheel vibration under heavy braking. Oversteer slides are vague and you have to rely entirely on tyre noise, as others have written.

If you use SC2/TD please share your FFB setup, because I really want that similar rF2->ACC feeling.

But with the FFB of the Direct Drive dialed in, and once I have setup the cars to my liking, all three titles feel very very similar to me. I can apply the same driving style, and yield the same reaction from the cars.

As above, I find this pretty amazing. I jump into ACC and after 30 mins I have all kinds of bad habits from it! AC is better, AMS2 is better still, and rF2 is the best. I won't touch iRacing on a matter of principle (and until my rF2/iRacing buddies confirm they fixed the tyre model!)

But on racing traction loss and weight transfer forces are present which you don't feel on normal cars. On ACC, they are not present or very weak compared to Rfactor. You should rely on tire noise on ACC.

Rfactor simulates those forces on wheel as much as it can. You can say it is excessive but comparing it to a normal car doesn't make sense to me.

100% agreed.

I would really like to know how you accomplish this, as I find the contrast in the physics (not just the FFB) to be huge between the two titles.

I don't use a DD wheel nor Sim Commander for FFB setups so I don't know how useful this will be.
I use a good 'ol TS PC Racer and what changed ACC for me completely in terms of feel was setting up Dynamic Damping at 100%.
I set minimum force at 4% (I believe) but you probably don't even need that in a DD. That's pretty much it. Trust me, dynamic damping is a game changer in ACC.

And since you mentioned AC also, after getting ACC dialed in, I went back to AC trying to achieve a similar feel, which I have now.

Last edited:
I don't use a DD wheel nor Sim Commander for FFB setups so I don't know how useful this will be.
I use a good 'ol TS PC Racer and what changed ACC for me completely in terms of feel was setting up Dynamic Damping at 100%.
I set minimum force at 4% (I believe) but you probably don't even need that in a DD. That's pretty much it. Trust me, dynamic damping is a game changer in ACC.

And since you mentioned AC also, after getting ACC dialed in, I went back to AC trying to achieve a similar feel, which I have now.

Thanks. IIRC, Dynamic Damping is 100% by default.

Other than simulate the gyro of the wheels turning faster = harder to turn the wheel, it does not appear to have any other effect.

I use SC2. There is no setting combo I have found that makes ACC feel like I'm driving something with wheels and slicks on tarmac. I guess less is more sometimes! :)

• Deleted member 379375

I'll let you know, still waiting for RF2 to load
Some crap about steam workshop.....

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 379375

Right going to try multiplayer now.
Oh wait........
Getting some content error even though I ticked the requirements boxes.

• Deleted member 379375

Hmm will try to load a track overnight , with luck it will be ready in the morning:D

Last edited by a moderator:
@prceurope i ll give a small tip i found for fanatec wheels
if you change the {DRI} Drift mode from minus 2 to +2 the feel change in a fanatec wheel and becomes a little better
i found this tip on a youtube video and did for myself and the result was better sence
if you dint have fanatec wheel try find the equal at your steering wheel software

Other than simulate the gyro of the wheels turning faster = harder to turn the wheel, it does not appear to have any other effect.

In the same respect you will feel the wheel go lighter when losing traction which I didn't feel with lower settings. It also adds weight to the car.
If the wheel feels to strong with damping at 100%, reduce the FFB strength, while leaving damping at 100%.

What it doesn't give you is any canned effects which is why I feel it so comparable to rF2, at least imo but the software you're using probably gives you many more variables to play with. Good luck

Last edited:
@prceurope i ll give a small tip i found for fanatec wheels
if you change the {DRI} Drift mode from minus 2 to +2 the feel change in a fanatec wheel and becomes a little better
i found this tip on a youtube video and did for myself and the result was better sence
if you dint have fanatec wheel try find the equal at your steering wheel software

Thanks, man. I have SC2 and will see what can be done in TrueDrive. But at the moment, I have given up on ACC because none of the suggested settings have worked. I even turned off all filters and tried to get the purest signal from ACC, but that does not produce any feel of tyre scrub/slip.

The solution will be to attach a buttkicker underneath the wheel deck and have it set to only vibrate when the wheel slip is detected in Sim Hub. :(

• Deleted member 379375

Hope it worked out. We are in the same boat. Still waiting for those GTE/LMP cars to load in ACC...
Oh wait - maybe it's just complete nonsense to compare those two sims?

You make a very good point there, I feel a little embarrassed.
Oh wait look at the tread title Rf2 vs ACC :D

You make a very good point there, I feel a little embarrassed.
Oh wait look at the tread title Rf2 vs ACC :D

So you think - reading a title - a comparison is usefull?
That would actually mean ACC is bad as it does not have GTE/LMP2 at all. Which is obviously worse than waiting for them to load for a finite time.
But we know that ACC isn't bad at all. It just does not have the content rF2 has. And rF2 does not have the loading times ACC has. Etc. That's what I call a useless comparison. And maybe I'm too lazy to care about headlines.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.