rF2 | Radical SR3 XX Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have been incredibly busy of late, having today confirmed their third piece of content for the simulation in quick succession.

The brand new Radical SR3 XX joins the recently released New York E-Prix and Ferrari 488 GTE within the simulation, and is available to purchase with immediate effect from the rF2 Steam Store, for around £4.50.

From the release post:

There’s been a lot of announcements and fresh new content to play with lately, but we’re far from finished. Today it is time to introduce you to a truly unique choice for race drivers, combining everything you want in a race car. Fast, lightweight, nimble and with the looks to ensure that you won’t go unnoticed on any server.

Our world is an evolving and developing place. Motorsport is continuously moving forward. So is sim racing and technology in general. To be a front runner, you have to always stay on top of this movement. Being up the front is exactly where the new Radical SR3 XX belongs. It’s not just a faster but also a smarter car! So we are proud to collaborate with Radical Sportscars on its launch. You can read all about it on their website: the world’s best selling race car just got smarter!

rF2 Radical 1.jpg
rF2 Radical 2.jpg
rF2 Radical 3.jpg

The SR3 XX is the evolution of the best-selling race car in the world, the SR3 which was first introduced in 2001. While the styling mostly remained untouched with just a few key elements setting the XX apart from its predecessor, underneath it’s an all new track weapon.

Radical knows that not just the car needs to evolve to be quicker, but that also drivers need the best tools to move forward and develop themselves. That’s the reason for all the new bits and pieces mainly by provided by AiM. The first thing noticed by drivers as most prominent change is probably the new steering wheel. A brand new Formula style steering wheel, fully packed with technology normally only found in high-level single-seaters and Le Mans Prototypes. Functioning basically as the HUB, the new AiM steering wheel now gives the driver access to all kind of new functionalities to access, evaluate and analyze data, helping to improve on track.

The fresh SR3 XX is still powered by the 4th Gen RPE-Suzuki engine including a dry sump oil system as standard. The power plant is hooked up to a six-speed sequential gearbox with paddle shift and auto-blip function, a Quaife limited-slip differential taking care of getting enough traction out of the corner.

With only 620 kg total weight, the Radical SR3 XX is the perfect tool to carve your way through all kind of combinations of corners.

You can buy the car now in our Steam Store! We will be hosting a launch event later today, details of which are towards the bottom of the announcement on Radical’s site.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

rF2 Radical 4.jpg

Simeone should give this man a medal!
Basically putting on video what some of us are literally screaming for years!

Yes and I would add one point.

With the workshop rF2 could become the perfect modding platform but, due to the absurd ‘user enemy’ mechanisms and lack of understandable documentation, it always discouraged the best content creators.

Can you share your graphic settings please?

1591038005149.png

1591038028135.png

Hey Martin,

Apart from ReShade, isn't there any new post processing filter for rFactor 2 similar to Custom Shaders Patch, Sol, or the newest Horizon Shades for AC?

It's a shame these great filters for AC are not made too for rFactor 2... they would make the Sim
look so much better and more realistic.
I'm sorry, I have no idea.

Simeone should give this man a medal!
Basically putting on video what some of us are literally screaming for years!

People arguing "it's just $5 that is a cup of coffee" are ignoring the issue with this type of business model in that buying into the game is extremely expensive compared to other similar sims and it is nickling and diming players wanting all the latest content. So yeah $5 isn't a lot, but as stated in the video $250+ dollars for all the content in rF2 when the sim as a whole is still unpolished compared to other sims is a lot to ask. Especially when long standing issues relating to AI, physics of DLC cars, and QA issues on DLC cars are still not addressed by S397.

But you are obviously talking about CPU threads, as in "virtual cores" (which might just as well be simply called cores nowadays, as there's basically no difference between virtual cores and physical ones), not the actual application threads. Which is why looking at them doesn't really tell you much about how the application is using its threads and how much headroom they have.

(I honestly think the fact there are two technically different - although related - things called "thread" in modern computing creates a lot of unnecessary confusion.)

Ahh I understand you now...I forgot RF2 has that GPU/Physics Graph: The Physics (purple) bar is at maybe 1/3 full at best (with 15 AI), so a bit more headroom it seems. Ran the radical at Le Mans and even better performance: approx 120 FPS Average. It didn't run that well on those settings last year. So I pushed the AI up to the 60 Max for Le Mans (18 visible) and ran a race...the Physics bar was just about at 75% but it ran smoothly (about 100 FPS average) so RF2 will be seeing more of me now. Screenshot from that race at the Michelin Chicane:

60 Car MultiClass Le Mans RF2.jpg

Haven't gotten around to the Ferrari yet but the new Radical feels amazing! Slower than the iRacing HPD of course, but the brakes seem stronger and feels more natural to find and maintain the limit of threshold braking. Forgot how much I like the feel of rF2...was pushing the Radical hard and it was much easier to catch the back end; really fun car to throw around. The AI seems to have some issue overtaking cars though...not an issue with the faster classes passing the slower ones, but for same-class overtaking they'd have a good draft and keep tapping the brakes and staying in tow. Hopefully that gets addressed soon.

This video talks about keeping the physics bar below 75% to keep things running properly...is this the official stance of S397 @Marcel Offermans? Also, how to you fix the car showroom having no lights?

Last edited:
Sure are a lot of complaints about the price of content if you don’t have five bucks to put towards your hobby maybe you should try toothpick houses. A decent computer will set you back $1500 and you people complain about five dollars. if they want 20$ I would see the point but again it’s five dollars.Really I just don’t see the point in complaining about that price range.

Depends is 1/2 glass full or empty

I look at it that I got 3 radicals
1 in pack
1 standalone
1 free

Works out to $4.40AU / $2.98US per car :roflmao:

Kunos or SMS don't sell single cars
Of course if you go and buy AC or PC2 Goty @CD keys cars probably cost 10-20 Cents each lol

Last edited:
OK, since we're still doing the pricing discussion all over again...

I'm not really complaining about a car for 5 euro, let's make this absolutely clear. I think it's a fair price.

But I just watched the video that was linked in this thread before and you have to agree the entry fee for new people (and the overall sum spent for existing players) can quickly add up, and that's certainly something to consider. I did a quick calculation on how much would it cost for a new player to do a GT3 and LMP2 multiclass race on Nordschleife using just the official content both in Raceroom and in rF2.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's 13 euro in Raceroom (a single car of your choice - provided you didn't choose the free LMP2 - and the track) compared to 87 euro in rF2 (all of the car packs that contain GT3 and LMP2 cars, the Nordschleife and the base game).

I have to say that it genuinely surprised me how much it is. I realized it would be more for rF2, but I didn't realize how much more. The requirement to own every single car on the grid to be able to race can rack it up fairly quickly. I think once you own the game and some DLC, you kinda lose the perspective of the entry fee for a new player or of the overall sum spent, because it's just a few euro to get this or that. But 90 euro...that's quite something tbh. Meanwhile you can get all of the currently released content for Raceroom for 65 euro. And it's a fair bit of content. And you can obviously get say AC on sale for much less still.

So there are certainly more points of view to consider beyond "oh it's just a cup of coffee, if you can't afford that, how can you even be simracing". I don't envy S397 having to come up with a reasonable pricing and a reasonable business model for the game, because it's clear that some things they're basically stuck with regardless of what their opinion on it may be (like the requirement to own all the cars on the grid is likely here to stay, as that would likely require a complete overhaul of the game to be able to do something about it).

Thanks for these!
I have them dialed in a bit lower due to my 1070 dying some deaths if there's a shady place with more than 5 cars or the dusk is hitting.
But maybe I went a bit too low and could go a bit towards your settings.

Your Screenshots look a lot better than what I'm getting, maybe it's just the right time of the day with dof and perspective, maybe not, I'll try!
My rF2 looks like a cartoon compared to stock Assetto corsa...
I'll make a before/after "Fiala settings" comparison :D

Do you know the difference between the AA levels? I heard that it's a mix of msaa, fxaa, ssaa and some other stuff that won't work on modern GPUs anymore.
I'm using 3 as it seems to be a good compromise, although a bit jaggy.

You're using level 4, maybe you know the difference? I can't really see any hehe.

Why does this car have so little caster? It's like the Merc GT3, where the wheels just flop over in corners providing a really large understeer effect through the wheel. So strange to me that some cars they release do this while others feel much more natural. It's a really overblow effect in a few cars in rf2 for some reason.

Can we expect further changes like this in future Marcel?

If you're talking about graphics optimizations, yes, along with the improvements we make we are always benchmarking performance before an after and always aim to improve it with every change (for similar output levels).

Why does this car have so little caster?

Formally that is a question for Radical, we simply model the cars based on the data we get and in the case of Radical I can certainly disclose they are very open and really allow us to build a car based on all the available data. This weekend we had an on-line event with real world Radical drivers and none of them made this comment. For the record, those are mostly owners of the older SR3 model but suspension geometry wise the new SR3 XX is identical.

Do you know the difference between the AA levels? I heard that it's a mix of msaa, fxaa, ssaa and some other stuff that won't work on modern GPUs anymore.
I'm using 3 as it seems to be a good compromise, although a bit jaggy.

You're using level 4, maybe you know the difference? I can't really see any hehe.
I wish I knew. I don't think anybody knows for the DX11 version, everything you can find on the internet is years old and relates to the old DX9 version.
I'm running level 4 currently because I was messing with the AA settings when I was recording the videos for the fabled CPU comparison and noticed I don't see any real difference between level 5 (which I was using previously) and level 4, so I kept it lower since, in case it has some performance impact (not that I could see one either).

Time of day and stuff like that does make a difference (as does my ReShade I think). DOF goes a long way to make shots look more impressive than they really are (which is why it's almost a gaming screenshot trope at this point), as well as hiding stuff in the background. And I would like to think that a bit of an experience as a photographer also helps somewhat, though I couldn't possibly guess to what degree, it's not like I ever was a world class photographer.

Would be even better if the game offered better camera controls (would be great to be able to at least change the point of focus and control DOF/focal length in for every camera. As it is now, you can't change the point of focus at all, and you can only control DOF by adjusting focal length, and all that only when using trackside cameras. So getting the shot you want can take a long time and a lot of improvisation by switching between various cars to move the focus point, then move the camera where you want it...and things like that.

But of course that's near the bottom of the list of things I'd like to see in the game.

If you're talking about graphics optimizations, yes, along with the improvements we make we are always benchmarking performance before an after and always aim to improve it with every change (for similar output levels).

Formally that is a question for Radical, we simply model the cars based on the data we get and in the case of Radical I can certainly disclose they are very open and really allow us to build a car based on all the available data. This weekend we had an on-line event with real world Radical drivers and none of them made this comment. For the record, those are mostly owners of the older SR3 model but suspension geometry wise the new SR3 XX is identical.
I'll just nip up the road and ask em, they are literally just up the road here. Will the graphics improvements deal with things like the super low FPS on the Senna GTR? Looking forward to trying out the 2 new cars!
Can we have a Brit track pack and 90's BTCC? Pretty please with cherries on top and whatever it costs and stuff!

I did a quick calculation on how much would it cost for a new player to do a GT3 and LMP2 multiclass race on Nordschleife using just the official content both in Raceroom and in rF2.
Unless I'm mistaken, it's 13 euro in Raceroom (a single car of your choice - provided you didn't choose the free LMP2 - and the track) compared to 87 euro in rF2
But if I understand correctly for 13 Eur in RaceRoom you'd get only two cars( and the track) and in rF2 you'd get 2 GT3 packs, LMP2 (and the track)? Granted to play online in rF2 you have to own the cars others are driving (while in RR you don't). But still it's not entirely fair comparison.
Buying the S397 packs and tracks on Steam sales is still an option (it's usually 50% off). Raceroom has 25% off packs and in addition you can save more by buying prepaid vRP on their site.

OK, since we're still doing the pricing discussion all over again...

I'm not really complaining about a car for 5 euro, let's make this absolutely clear. I think it's a fair price.

But I just watched the video that was linked in this thread before and you have to agree the entry fee for new people (and the overall sum spent for existing players) can quickly add up, and that's certainly something to consider. I did a quick calculation on how much would it cost for a new player to do a GT3 and LMP2 multiclass race on Nordschleife using just the official content both in Raceroom and in rF2.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's 13 euro in Raceroom (a single car of your choice - provided you didn't choose the free LMP2 - and the track) compared to 87 euro in rF2 (all of the car packs that contain GT3 and LMP2 cars, the Nordschleife and the base game).

I have to say that it genuinely surprised me how much it is. I realized it would be more for rF2, but I didn't realize how much more. The requirement to own every single car on the grid to be able to race can rack it up fairly quickly. I think once you own the game and some DLC, you kinda lose the perspective of the entry fee for a new player or of the overall sum spent, because it's just a few euro to get this or that. But 90 euro...that's quite something tbh. Meanwhile you can get all of the currently released content for Raceroom for 65 euro. And it's a fair bit of content. And you can obviously get say AC on sale for much less still.

So there are certainly more points of view to consider beyond "oh it's just a cup of coffee, if you can't afford that, how can you even be simracing". I don't envy S397 having to come up with a reasonable pricing and a reasonable business model for the game, because it's clear that some things they're basically stuck with regardless of what their opinion on it may be (like the requirement to own all the cars on the grid is likely here to stay, as that would likely require a complete overhaul of the game to be able to do something about it).
I have 47 tracks and 264 vehicles in rf2 which I got for cca 30 EUR.
Can you compare it with Raceroom prices? Thx

But if I understand correctly for 13 Eur in RaceRoom you'd get only two cars( and the track) and in rF2 you'd get 2 GT3 packs, LMP2 (and the track)? Granted to play online in rF2 you have to own the cars others are driving (while in RR you don't). But still it's not entirely fair comparison.
It's a completely fair comparison of the admission fee for a new player to do his first race. Which is exactly the point the video I was referring to was making.

I have 47 tracks and 264 vehicles in rf2 which I got for cca 30 EUR.
Can you compare it with Raceroom prices? Thx
I had no idea there was 47 official tracks and 264 official cars for rF2 (because I clearly stated "using just the official content"). So I guess the answer to your question is "no, I can't".

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea