rF2 | Ferrari GT3 Released and September Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have posted their latest 'Development Roadmap' for the month of September followed closely by the release of the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020.
  • Previews on Nordschleife PBR update.
  • Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 Released.
The end of the month is almost here, and in a pleasant change the first of the regular sim racing developer roadmap postings has come out at some time other than the middle of the night! Yes, Studio 397 have been a little quicker off the marks that usual this month in their regular rFactor 2 update blog - dropping the rF2 'Development Roadmap' for the month of September earlier than usual - with some interesting insights in what is happening over at the Dutch sim racing studio.

The Ferrari DLC

Before we take a look at the roadmap update, the team at Studio 397 also released their latest GT3 car for rFactor 2 - the stunning Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 - available now from the rFactor 2 Steam Store.

Here's what they had to say about the new car:

Italian design is renowned for the fusion of form and function in such a way that often produces the most spectacular of results, and it would be fair to say the incredible Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 is absolutely no exception to that long and impressive tradition – resulting in arguably one of the most visually stunning cars ever created to the GT3 regulation ruleset.

rFactor_2_Ferrari_488_GT3_EVO_2020_04.jpg

Revealed in the winter of 2019, the new for this year 488 GT3 EVO 2020 represents a wholesale improvement over the successful, but ageing current generation GT3 challenger from Ferrari. Benefiting from over 18,000 hours of calculations and CFD simulations before the new package even hit the wind tunnel, Ferrari have left no stone unturned in their attempts to firmly cement the 488 GT3 bloodline as one of the most successful cars in the marque’s long and illustrious history.

Visually, the EVO benefits from an improved frontal section that incorporates enhanced aerodynamics delivering to the driver greater downforce and stability, aided by tweaks at both the front and rear of the new package without modifying the overall balance of the car.

Larger vents above the front wings, re-profiled door profiles to facilitate better overall airflow and a tweaked rear section are just some of the more notable changes that one immediately finds when looking at this striking machine.

rFactor_2_Ferrari_488_GT3_EVO_2020_05.jpg

The 488 GT3 EVO 2020 is also noticeably longer than its predecessor, bringing the car in line with its GTE counterpart, allowing Ferrari to improve the way the new machine manages its tyres on track – allowing drivers to run faster for longer, in that all important pursuit of glory!

Engine wise, the EVO retains the tried and trusted twin-turbo 90-degree V8 of the previous generation vehicle, however Ferrari have coupled this to an all new engine management system that improves reliability and produces a smoother, more precise torque delivery.

Sleek lines, aggressive styling and an iconic exhaust note that oozes passion and performance, the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 can be yours to drive in rFactor 2 today – head over to the rFactor 2 Steam Store and strap yourself into poetry in motion.

The Roadmap

In something of a flurry of news, S397 also released their latest Development Roadmap for the month of September. In this posting the studio took the opportunity to view their recent Bentley Continental GT3 2020 car release and the upcoming Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO machine, whilst also informing the sim racing community of an upcoming additional hotfix set to be released for the GT3 cars later in the week.

rF2 Nurbs 1.jpg

Of the more notable things within the posting are some nice preview images from the major refresh coming to their laserscanned Nürburgring Nordschleife - the team over at Studio 397 have been working hard in recent months to substantially refresh the legendary German circuit within the simulation - including bringing the circuit up to the current PBR shader standards and many other tweaks and improvements.

No release date for the Nordschleife update has been put forth by the studio yet, however preview image progress suggests it won't be too far away into the future now I'm sure.

As a final line right at the very end of the post, the studio have teased they plan to make a new track announcement during the month ahead, so stay tuned for further news on that one when the timing is right.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the simulation? Head over to the RaceDepartment rF2 sub forum and open up a new thread today - let our epic community be your guide!

rF2 Nurbs 2.jpg

rF2 Ferrari 1.jpg

Last edited:
Taking the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO out on the old faithful Toban, an old track and been around forever, but still looks great and awesome to race on....personal opinion of course;)
The Ferrari GT3 EVO is fantastic to drive.:inlove::thumbsup:...and updates to Nordschleife are always welcome:thumbsup:

View attachment 409668View attachment 409669View attachment 409670View attachment 409671

I always loved Toban since rFactor 1, but its trees have to be updated.
Have you seen the 'new' trees in the updated Nords? They look great!

C'mon, Studio 397, we want new trees for Toban! Thank you.

I always loved Toban since rFactor 1, but its trees have to be updated.
Have you seen the 'new' trees in the updated Nords? They look great!

C'mon, Studio 397, we want new trees for Toban! Thank you.

I've always said, if I ever get my hands on crazy billionaire money, I'm going to build Toban in real life!

For the grand opening, I would fly out all the RD staff plus like 25 members and we'd break the place in over the course of a track day weekend. Bring in a bunch of cars and make it "arrive and drive". Sat AM track day bangers, Sat PM exotics, Sun AM formula cars, etc.

Now, how do I go about getting crazy billionaire money... :O_o:

Those rF2 screenshots look amazing! Unfortunately, I have to say I have a hard time getting rF2 simultaneously looking good and running well as it is, so I'm kinda skeptical it would ever look this good for me.

Rfactor2:Competizione

Sorry GTr 2 is still king of GT simulators though ACC is pretty decent it lacks the atmosphere and personality GTR 2 has! Not to mention they did some how manage to do pit crew animations on the G motor 2 engine and make them look good ontop of that your crew chief is interactive and feels like an actual person who will give you updates on damage and race standings and such.

just look at the sound track for crying out loud cant you imagine cars lining up on the grid to this beautiful music? The AI in the game is fantastic with some tweeks

Last edited:
just look at the sound track for crying out loud cant you imagine cars lineing up on the grid to this beautiful music? The AI in the game is fantastic with some tweeks

Well, as much as Spa 24 is a great song, they took that song out in Pcars 3. Wait, you can't have this song without Spa. :confused:

Still, no doubt that Spa 24 is one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming. I do not think rF2 or any game would need music.

rF2 really needs to tune the AI, it is getting worse with some cars spin out too often where I am coming to the point that almost every lap is a yellow flag.

Last edited:

Sorry GTr 2 i still king of GT simulators though ACC is pretty decent it lacks the atmosphere and personality GTR 2 has! Not to mention they did some how manage to do pit crew animations on the G motor 2 engine and make them look good ontop of that your crew cheif is interactive and feels like an actual person hw iqll give you updates on damage and race standings and such.

just look at the sound track for crying out loud cant you imagine cars lineing up on the grid to this beautiful music? The AI in the game is fantastic with some tweeks

Do you know how many complaints there were over the years about the tiny little plonk sound when your mouse pointer traveled over a menu item?

Well, as much as Spa 24 is a great song, they took that song out in Pcars 3. Wait, you can't have this song without Spa. :confused:

Still, no doubt that Spa 24 is one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming. I do not think rF2 or any game would need music.

rF2 really needs to tune the AI, it is getting worse with some cars spin out too often where I am coming to the point that almost every lap is a yellow flag.
UNTIL there is concrete steps to fix AI and flag situations, why does ANYone still insist on driving with flags enabled. I can see raising the point in forums or Discord, but you are only injuring yourself by tolerating multiple yellow flags every time you race.

Sorry GTr 2 i still king of GT simulators though ACC is pretty decent it lacks the atmosphere and personality GTR 2 has! Not to mention they did some how manage to do pit crew animations on the G motor 2 engine and make them look good ontop of that your crew cheif is interactive and feels like an actual person hw iqll give you updates on damage and race standings and such.

You meant to say "Sorry imho "

I like GTR2 I was still making my mods GTR2 Essentials and GTL Essentials right up to when NG shut it's doors while at same time hosting a room in rF2

imho GTR2 is the best rounded package give it a few extra points for that
imho Driving wise rF2 is a different universe :alien:
imho RSS GT-GTN in AC with CSP is more immersive 2003-2004 season

Just bought the 488 GT3 and it's not in the game, it showed that it was downloading when I opened Rfactor but when the game started it is nowhere. It also caused all of the GT3 cars to disappear. No R8 LMS, M6, ETC. ALL gone. I had also purchased the GTE pack a while ago and it was working for a while then one day the M8, RSR, and C7 and Oreca starting failing verification stating a unknown base mod is required. I tried unsubscribing from the workshop and that hasn't worked. If anyone can help that would be appreciated. I love Rfactor but its kind of hard to keep justifying buying content for this sim when I cant get access to content I paid for in the past.

Edit: I was able to fix the GT3 issue but the GTEs and Oreca still won't work.

Last edited:
Cant race the Porsche anymore after the update. Way too sensitive steering on high speed. AI really SUCK on all tracks. Studio 397 is killing this game for sp players.
But yeah...more cars please...more content! Dont worry about AI....who cares about AI right??
Took the 911 yesterday straight after the update and managed the same laptimes at Baku as before the latest bop, with no different feel....

UNTIL there is concrete steps to fix AI and flag situations, why does ANYone still insist on driving with flags enabled. I can see raising the point in forums or Discord, but you are only injuring yourself by tolerating multiple yellow flags every time you race.

Even with flags off, it is still extremely annoying to see multiple cars spin out in every lap. It is like as if these LMP2 or GT3 are driven by junior drivers that have no experience with these cars at all.

Just bought the 488 GT3 and it's not in the game, it showed that it was downloading when I opened Rfactor but when the game started it is nowhere. It also caused all of the GT3 cars to disappear. No R8 LMS, M6, ETC. ALL gone. I had also purchased the GTE pack a while ago and it was working for a while then one day the M8, RSR, and C7 and Oreca starting failing verification stating a unknown base mod is required. I tried unsubscribing from the workshop and that hasn't worked. If anyone can help that would be appreciated. I love Rfactor but its kind of hard to keep justifying buying content for this sim when I cant get access to content I paid for in the past.

YOU have an out of date skin pak or mod. GEC is often the usual culprit. They are pretty good about updating their mod, so ... IF you have that mod, either remove it, or search for a new update.
WHENEVER anyone sees that UNKNOWN BASE MOD it means that S397 has updated a car or track and the old version is no longer available. This breaks the skinpak or mod that is relying upon the old version number.

Some more Ferrari GT3 EVO goodness on Toban...just wondring whether the Track data or whatever have an influence on the way the rF2 cars look, as I tried the Ferrari Evo on a third party workshop track and the Ferrari Evo did not have any reflections in the livery:O_o:...the EVO on Toban looks great to my eye with fantastically sharp livery text and logos on the EVO, very nice work:inlove::thumbsup:

4 rFACTOR 2 FERRARI GT3 at TOBAN 24 Hour copy.jpg
5 rFACTOR 2 FERRARI GT3 at TOBAN 24 Hour copy.jpg
6 rFACTOR 2 FERRARI GT3 at TOBAN 24 Hour copy.jpg

...wow, that texture mapping looks amazing on Toban, great attention to detail:confused::inlove:

7 rFACTOR 2 FERRARI GT3 at TOBAN 24 Hour rumble strip copy.jpg

Last edited:

Are you trying to run custom room mod
Many GT were updated today so I had to remake my 2 GT-Pro offline mods
I think there might have been Oreca update as well but don't quote me

update rf2.jpg

edit: I use this mod to run a "online offline room" :x3:
I select one skin for each of the 24 cars I use ( all GT3 + GTE + Prototypes + DPi + URD Ford GT )
I make server with 23AI + the car I first pick = 24
Boot into online and join your room
You will have one of every car and only the skins you selected making room mod
Now at anytime you can then hit "Select Car" tab ( which you don't have Offline) and pick any of the other 23 models
Then you don't have to restart rF2 every time you want to drive a different model :x3:
Make a long practice session disable qual and race
Every time you swap cars you will have your best laptime still there
So you can run all 24 cars and every time you run each car a 2nd time you see your best laptimes / sectors still there were offline you lose then every time you swap vehicles

Try doing that in any other sim:whistling: ;)

Oh another good thing about online offline it never pauses so you can keep room going and multi-task
You should be running FSW ( full screen windowed mode ) = better looking rF2
Hit window key NOT alt-tab

Last edited:
Some more Ferrari GT3 EVO goodness on Toban...just wondring whether the Track data or whatever have an influence on the way the rF2 cars look, as I tried the Ferrari Evo on a third party workshop track and the Ferrari Evo did not have any reflections in the livery:O_o:...the EVO on Toban looks great to my eye with fantastically sharp livery text and logos on the EVO, very nice work:inlove::thumbsup:

View attachment 409696View attachment 409697View attachment 409698

...wow, that texture mapping looks amazing on Toban, great attention to detail:confused::inlove:

View attachment 409699
S397 has made several lighting changes that may break older tracks. Skyboxes and horizons seem to be the most affected and the lack of color may be due to poor interaction between the old and new shaders. If the S397 tracks that have been updated look OK, (Portland, Lock Drummond, Le Mans, Zandvoort, Silverstone and soon Nurburgring) then I'm pretty sure S397 won't consider that a problem. Up to the track modders to figure out how to upgrade their work to match S397's advancements.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.