RF2 4 months on + under/over steer + wildcard league entry

I could've started 3 different threads but thought I would keep it all nice and neat. So yes, 4 months now since I really got into RF2 and I'm still loving every moment. I still get excited starting the game up and it's now at the point that i don't touch anything else because in my opinion, nothing else compares to it. The tyre feel, ffb, the tracks cars, it's got it all and I'm now comfortable with my graphic settings which to my eyes look as good as anything else out there. You may think I'm blinkered but I've been gaming since 1978 lol and this is the best virtual driving experience I've ever had so yes I am but I don't care. I've met great people who don't worry about my standard and are quick to help me. I'm not sure how much I've improved in the last 4 months but consistency is getting better.

Under/oversteer
Even after our bootcamp session I still struggle with getting setups sorted for myself and have to revert to getting them off my kind fellow drivers. I'm currently at work researching as I want to be able to do my own setups that feel right to me. I'm reading this at the moment http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/understeer.htm it's helpful but still confusing. I'll give you an example:
Skip Barber, I know this is a handful of a car but when I come to the corner entry, I turn the wheel and the front of the car spins off track. I'm limited to what I can control with the setup so obviously I need to adapt my driving style but this is understeer yes? but is it, is it the front spinning out or the back. To me it feels like the front wheels go. As you can see, I need a dummies guide but I think I'm learning it sometimes, maybe. could be lol

Finally, I wouldn't mind racing in some of the RF2 leagues but because of my work pattern I can't commit. Is there a chance of maybe getting a wildcard entry for a few races each season? I take part in as many club races as work allows but I need more experience of actual racing. Anyway that's it cheers for reading.

Jim

I cant remember what my setup had in the 911 but it was fine.

Your next focus is fore-aft weight transfer. Think about where you are putting the weight.
Maybe time to watch the skip barber video again?

And the h shifter, mate I would use paddles till you have mastered it then go back to the "real thing" no sense making the acqusition of the skills harder IMO.

But yes play with fore-aft. See what happens to turn in when you release brakes fast, when you do it slow. When you stomp on the throttle or feed it in.
You can change your turn in by playing with front load. The brake (edit-and throttle) pedal are not just to go and stop they are there to balance the car.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I think it's worth sticking with a car like the skippy or the formula vee in gsce, no other car helped me with the basics more than the vee and I find the skippy to be similar in its need for controlled weight transfer and smooth inputs. I spent a good month driving nothing but the vee, after which all other cars in all sims just seemed a lot easier, all the good habits the vee or skippy FORCE you to develop are invaluable.

I think it's worth sticking with a car like the skippy or the formula vee in gsce, no other car helped me with the basics more than the vee and I find the skippy to be similar in its need for controlled weight transfer and smooth inputs. I spent a good month driving nothing but the vee, after which all other cars in all sims just seemed a lot easier, all the good habits the vee or skippy FORCE you to develop are invaluable.
Shows how well these trainer cars have been implemented into these two sims. They do the job they were designed to do, train you up. I always prefer single seater's I usually don't find GT car's as rewarding and even a bit easy sometimes. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy them but give me a single seater or a prototype any day to learn the skills.

While I agree with both your posts, I need my fix of club racing and doing without for a month would be hard but maybe I need to stop everything and spend a month just on the Skippy, I'll see but something for me to think about cheers

Reactions: Bez
Maybe @Gijs van Elderen can arrange a weekly skippy race. So you could concentrate on one car and still do some club racing ;)
Well that would be a great idea as I have now cancelled all future club races until further notice. It makes so much sense to do this and get to grips with the basics because I will just carry on being a digital driver otherwise as pointed out by @Lazarou @Bez

Last edited:
All this with the Skippy is starting to make sense the more I drive it. I don't think I've put enough time in to be honest but I'm sure I will. Again, the progressive braking with the Porsche makes sense when I think about as If I just slam on the anchors then I get lock up, flatspotting and another thing to think about. Also, I wiki'd the Porsche and it said that rear engine should have a brake bias 35-65 but the guys on ts thought this didn't sound right.

You might be confusing brake bias with weight distribution.Thre numbers you quote are close to weight distribution in a 911 GT3.
But that is static, Under brakes there is a big weight shift forwards so the lovely thing about the 911 is that all tyres can brake quite hard, its a key advantage.
Take a big front engine RWD. The rears cant do much braking.

Well that would be a great idea as I have now cancelled all future club races until further notice. It makes so much sense to do this and get to grips with the basics because I will just carry on being a digital driver otherwise as pointed out by @Lazarou @Bez
Well Jim thats a bit extreme.
You need to enjoy yourself too and measure your progress.
Why not just make 1 night a week "homework night" with serious lappage in the skippy. That way you can keep up club apperances.

Little tid-bit on braking. Whem I rode high performance motorcycles the first few milliseconds of a big stop were to load the front tyre, get its contact patch enlarged and then phase 2 was the big stop.
Brake pressure that it could then handle would if just slammed on lock up the front tyre.

Reactions: Bez
You might be confusing brake bias with weight distribution.Thre numbers you quote are close to weight distribution in a 911 GT3.
But that is static, Under brakes there is a big weight shift forwards so the lovely thing about the 911 is that all tyres can brake quite hard, its a key advantage.
Take a big front engine RWD. The rears cant do much braking.

Well Jim thats a bit extreme.
You need to enjoy yourself too and measure your progress.
Why not just make 1 night a week "homework night" with serious lappage in the skippy. That way you can keep up club apperances.

Little tid-bit on braking. Whem I rode high performance motorcycles the first few milliseconds of a big stop were to load the front tyre, get its contact patch enlarged and then phase 2 was the big stop.
Brake pressure that it could then handle would if just slammed on lock up the front tyre.
It is a bit extreme @David O'Reilly but in 4 months since I started RF2, my progression has been slow. I'm not really mastering anything and need to get out of this digital driving. I finish work tonight and I'm off for 2 weeks so apart from this Friday till next Tuesday when I'm away, I'll have about 10 days when I come back to try and get to grips a bit more. I think 4 weeks solid of just the skippy may well be a bit too much so I'll try and find a balance whereas I can do some club racing as well.

It is a bit extreme @David O'Reilly but in 4 months since I started RF2, my progression has been slow. I'm not really mastering anything and need to get out of this digital driving. I finish work tonight and I'm off for 2 weeks so apart from this Friday till next Tuesday when I'm away, I'll have about 10 days when I come back to try and get to grips a bit more. I think 4 weeks solid of just the skippy may well be a bit too much so I'll try and find a balance whereas I can do some club racing as well.

Maybe a combination of skippy and Clio could be nice. The Clio is easy to drive and they both fit to the same type of track.

Yeah I know the Clio is FWD but it's nice to learn some basics and I drove it a lot when I started rF2.

@Lazarou sorry I lied, that is csaa on the AA setting in control panel but nothing else. That on global and then rfactor2.exe the same. NO AF or in game settings either. @Lazarou another lie mate sorry, I have in game AF on trillinear.

Hi Jim, I used the CSAA setting in nvidia inspector with in game AF set at x16, gained a few fps and it looks better so I appreciate the info you posted.

I did a video below in the Skippy at Lime Rock to replicate your video, one to try the new video settings and two to show you how I drive the skippy. Its not a car I have driven more than a few laps in previously and excuse the near spin near the start on cold tyres. If you look at the pedal app/plugin in the top left you can see my inputs which hopefully may help you. I am not that fast but I had to use various techniques to get the best out the car.

Now I am not saying you should worry about them for now but the main thing to look out for is that I am very rarely off the throttle even if it is just a small amount to maintain balance in the car. You will also see me heel and toeing to balance the rear on downshift to try and match the engine speed. Also I used a combination of left and right foot braking. Right foot for downshifts with heel and toe then switching to left foot to shift the weight when cornering.

It's a great car and one that I will be spending some more time in, hope this helps you in some way. Like I say I would not worry too much about the other stuff but concentrate on your throttle and braking.

Note: I used a H-Pattern Thrustmaster box & Fantec pedals with Tilton pads.

Hi Jim, I used the CSAA setting in nvidia inspector with in game AF set at x16, gained a few fps and it looks better so I appreciate the info you posted.

I did a video below in the Skippy at Lime Rock to replicate your video, one to try the new video settings and two to show you how I drive the skippy. Its not a car I have driven more than a few laps in previously and excuse the near spin near the start on cold tyres. If you look at the pedal app/plugin in the top left you can see my inputs which hopefully may help you. I am not that fast but I had to use various techniques to get the best out the car.

Now I am not saying you should worry about them for now but the main thing to look out for is that I am very rarely off the throttle even if it is just a small amount to maintain balance in the car. You will also see me heel and toeing to balance the rear on downshift to try and match the engine speed. Also I used a combination of left and right foot braking. Right foot for downshifts with heel and toe then switching to left foot to shift the weight when cornering.

It's a great car and one that I will be spending some more time in, hope this helps you in some way. Like I say I would not worry too much about the other stuff but concentrate on your throttle and braking.

Note: I used a H-Pattern Thrustmaster box & Fantec pedals with Tilton pads.

The difference between your and mine is I drive the skippy and you race the skippy.

@Jim Brailsford ,

If you want a wild card to enter a league: click here ;)

When we did F3.5 league during pre-test races, i usually could keep up with the front pack. I didn't drove the car to much during the league only to test stuff. But I participated in the last round with a good setup and practice. I couldn't believe the improvement everybody made. I finished the race a lap down and didn't score any points. :( My best lap was a few seconds slower then the fastest lap.

With the Skippy on iRacing I find that you need to put as little input into the wheel as possible and flow the car through the corners. A good track to practice this is Lime Rock Park. If you can get that last corner right by only turning the wheel slightly then you are well on your way to being fast in that car on any track. That being said it takes a lot of practice

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 115 70.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 41 25.0%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 33 20.1%
  • Standard game content

• No 3pa registration pages