Physics Relaxation Length and Flex

Where do you take those things from ? Or how do you calculate them ?

And if you can't then you follow Kunos, or guess through testing ?

I believe more Relaxation Length and Flex are enhancing a lot of physics properties, such as tram lining, car wobble at the end of slides, steering feel and immersion and so on...

I am still trying to figure all this out via trial and error for the belted bias ply good years on the classic muscle cars. At the moment I just use the knowledge of the differences between radial and bias construction to modify from a radial type then a lot of trial and error, so if anyone has a better way I am open to hearing it. The relaxation length is something like the 60% of lateral steady state roll, so assuming something could be measured with a setup and the actual tire. No clue on how flex is used in the engine to know how to calculate it.

I am never an expert, just wanna be. But relaxation length is distance for tire to roll till it hits 63percents of steady cornering force. So it is a lag, you steer in, but tire will not start to steer immediately, it kinda needs a little bit to react, it is very interesting. It also seems to depend on a lot of things and is not a steady value, IDK what is the reference point that Kunos is using that value for. But if I understand it correctly it is the greater the greater force is, also weirdly seems to drop down with more slip angle.

Flex in Kunos tyre.ini is something like multiplier for slip angle range... so with more flex it should be harder to hit best slip angle, but also should allow more range to fish for it at the time of flex, till you mess up of course. In V5 thread Kunos wrote that Flex is not used anymore, Flex gain used now, but it seems to me that both are working, maybe placebo, but I kept tweaking it... http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/tyre-model-v5-specs.29891/

For sure I don't understand it all too well, how it is implemented in engine so on and on...

After playing and testing with XJ13 I have increased all these "deformation" values higher from what Kunos seems to use. And quite a lot higher. I also made front and rear values more different, so front and rear oscillations would be more different, what I find more believable. While Kunos seems to use very similar values, just slightly different.

I probably have room for tweaks, I did it all entirely on feel, and just with a bit of very not confident logic lol

Now I use something like (in relation between front and rear) less relaxation length and more flex for narrow front tires, and more relaxation length and less flex for wide rear tires. No real base for this. But perhaps logic could be that front is steered, and rear reacts a little after that ? And for flex, perhaps narrower tire flex will cause more significant tire dynamics change, than a flex in bigger tire ?

And it feels somewhat right, feels like little bit of spice is good for really awesome Aphidgod physics, really enhancing it. Now I am trying it every day, to check if this "eureka" thing is stable and was not based on mood, placebo or some kind of bias.

Try something like that in your mod, check how it works, don't be afraid to boost up those values two three or maybe even more times. And tell if you felt any positive outcome of it.

I have increased the flex gain quite a bit, along with some increase in relaxation due to the bias play allowing much more deformation than the radials along whole tire surface. Though I have used higher flex values with wider tires. Also been liking where the flex has gotten to (~.06 gain) as it provides the plow you would expect with the old muscle cars on belted tires without sacrificing the ability to actually turn the car that I found with higher relaxation lengths. Also it is quite interesting to work with such high slip angles, the vehicular dynamics make for interesting approaches to some corners. My current fascination for tire testing with speed is the spa 1966 mod. I have the tires feeling pretty good there where you can feel the initial tire load allowing for the pointing of the nose but if you are not careful the car will push out and hay bales are much harder than they seem :p Though I will have to do some more testing with some of your tests to see if I can improve them even more, though my struggle is that the belted tires are difficult to know what values should be more radial like and what should be more bias-ply. Out of curiosity what values of flex are you using?

I believe that visualisation is not precise. And maybe tire could be stiff vertically, but soft laterally ?

I am also not sure how much relaxation length is related to deformation, probably it is, but it is probably a property of tread to normalize the direction for car, though flex might be so too. Aphidgod said me that XJ13 has plenty of scrub radius, and right now when I drive on kerb edge it sometimes pulls a lot (tramlining).

Perhaps it depends a lot on the rest of physics as well, or what type of car it is, whats the weight distribution and so on, also if the things which we expect from car are correctly observed things...

I'll post how i changed values later as I will turn on my AC computer.

@Joshua Widder Still experimenting, but I don't feel like changing very much, unless someone comes and say "are you stupid, this makes no sense" :D I like it a lot, today I have slept too little, and in nemuno Ziesas this is quite challenging, I still could drive itm though had much more trouble than driving at Nurburgring GT yesterday. And I think it is good that it is so.

[FRONT]
RELAXATION_LENGTH=0.12392 ; 0.10392
FLEX=0.0027261 ; 0.000461
FLEX_GAIN=0.0994 ;0.0394

[REAR]
RELAXATION_LENGTH=0.45943 ; 0.10392
FLEX=0.001614 ;0.000514
FLEX_GAIN=0.0376 ;0.0376

As you can see some got extremely different. I might try bringing them back a little till car still will feel like on rubber lol the rest of the physics are so good, Aphidgod put so much work on them. I can only let this go if this truly works, check it let me thin what it does, perhaps you'll have to tweak them, since you have very different car.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back