Reiza Studios Automobilista VR Statement

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS VR Statement.jpg

With Automobilista now out of Early Access, many fans have been left wondering if the proposed support for Virtual Reality headsets will appear in future AMS builds. Although the studio have been very vocal in their communications on this topic, Reiza Studios own Renato Simioni has now released an official statement on the subject.

Since VR implementation was promised during the initial Crowdfuning campaign, many fans have been questioning whether Reiza still plan to implement support within Automobilista, or if the idea had slowly died out at the studio. Simioni and others connected to the project have stated many times that, although somewhat delayed, VR support will be looked at closely for AMS, and even went as far as to offer a lengthy period of time for backers to leave the programme and receive a refund if the delayed implementation was not to their own liking. In todays statement, Simioni has further explained the reasons for the delayed support of VR headsets, and promised fans that work is already underway to pick back up on this subject and look to develop a solution going forward.

The full Reiza statement can be read below:

"Some may recollect that we did initially propose support for VR towards the end of last year´s crowdfunding campaign for further SCE development, which eventually became AMS - unfortunately a few months after the campaign wrapped, circumstances developed both in the VR front (the evolving nature of this new technology, specifically DX9 no longer being officially supported by OR which effectively moved the goal posts from when we had proposed it) as well as our own (a developer leaving the team), which forced us to put this specific development on hold. When this happened we openly discussed it in Reiza 51 (the forum room specially conceived for communication with campaign backers), and gave an ample window for backers who had entered the campaign with the specific goal of seeing VR supported to get a refund for their investment.

We now are no longer in "wait and see" mode regarding VR, but openly intent on supporting it already with AMS. We are currently looking for developers to join us for this specific task, but until we do and have had the chance to assess it, it´s impossible to make any reliable estimate as to if and when it will actually come in time for AMS.

VR enthusiasts can rest assured that at this point we need no convincing regarding the relevance of VR for sim racing, however we currently have this unfortunate gap between wanting to do something and getting it done. When we have more news on the topic, we´ll make sure to share with you here."

Keep an eye out on the Automobilista sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news as it happens, and discuss the game with you fellow sim racing enthusiasts. We host a substantial mods database for you to download additional content for Automobilista, and hold regular, awesome, racing club events using this racing simulator.

Happy to hear AMS will be getting VR in future? Enjoying the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

I'm more shocked it took just one employee to leave and the whole vr project is shut down :O_o: until a replacement is found :rolleyes:

Must of been one smart dude :geek:

Nothing to be shocked about. Almost all PC sim studios are indie dev teams, it's totally normal to have only one guy with expertise in the graphics engine. LFS was made by 3 guys in total, ISI has one guy working on graphics engine, Kunos (until recently at least) was one guy coding graphics, etc. Back in the days, GP2/GP3 was made by one guy alone. These studios cannot afford to have two guys doing the same task, there's no such revenue in PC sim market.

I'm more shocked it took just one employee to leave and the whole vr project is shut down :O_o: until a replacement is found :rolleyes:

Must of been one smart dude :geek:
It's a small group. Look at the credits.
They contract people to do certain jobs. It appears this person left and this is the situation.
This means people aren't spread over many aspects of the game. So everyone thinking that working on this will delay everything else is wrong.
I think the main point is everyone should get away from over discussing the issue and get on the damn servers and start driving.
The open Reiza servers are perfect for driving against anyone in the world. Pings of over 300... no problem all.
And of course the racedepartment servers are offering all kinds of options.

For someone who invested in VR and then loved it, coming back to single/triple screen setup can be a shitty experience.

Then that's your problem becuase you're now spoiled by an expensive and minority luxury. Not really the dev's problem. One should recognize the implications of this.

We have people advocating for less features in a sim. I don't even think it's jealousy, it seems to be an extreme case of intelectual impairment.

No its just **** talking. Nothing serious.

I believe the same faulty logic applies to one of the statements above implying that if the 'community' hasn't unanimously decided it wants VR, then this is not what the community wants.

That's a binary assertion that doesn't follow. Rejecting that the community represents a VR essentialist attitude is not the same as saying the community rejects the desirability of VR support.

MY opinion is that a small team like reiza should not have taking on VR at this moment,the reason is clear... MONEY. Plain and simple like that,they have more important things to push for. Yes i know there are VR people out there that want it and basically paid them for it.

I understand reiza asked money on kickstarter with VR as one their selling points for some people and they did not deliver,so i can see why people are p****d. At least they are communicating to people whats going on,and that development is happening. So all in all in the end people will get their VR.

I understand reiza asked money on kickstarter with VR as one their selling points for some people and they did not deliver,so i can see why people are p****d.
Let me tone down this part please: as soon as it became clear for Reiza that VR would be postponed, they informed the backers (on the private forum dedicated to backers only) and proposed a refund for a pretty large period. It is an issue, yes; I understand people being deceived. But a large part is not coming from them (see the statement) and they tried to be honest imho.

i am waiting

If you can keep it together and contact Rieza I am sure they will refund you (if you in fact are a backer which I doubt very much)

Otherwise you (and the obviously millions of other VR users) will have to wait for them to develop the support they have all ready stated they are committed to providing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back