Recommended DAMPER_GAIN value in assetto_corsa.ini

avenger82

Krzysztof Maj
Does anyone know what exactly DAMPER_GAIN does in assetto_corsa.ini?

I spent some time looking for explanation, and just found different values recommended (usually 0.0 or 1.0) ?
In comments it says it should be changed to 0 for G920, but how about G27/G29 for instance since it's FFB is so simmilar?

Also while most people recommend Damper Effects strenth to 0 in Logitech Profiler some say it's better to set it to 70-100%?

Set DAMPER_GAIN to 0 for G920, leave it at 1 for pretty much everything else.

OK Thanks. As I said I wasn't sure, whether it could also apply to G27 or G29 (since they all share pretty much identical FFB with G920).

Setting Damper Effects in Logitech Profiler will enable the wheel having resistance while sitting still.
So it seems it's not that unrealistic to have it 70-100% since you have some resistance while in such cases in a real car. I thought it should be 0 because game will already will apply any Damper Effects calculated from actual physics engine.

Damper set to x percentage in the profiler only effects the wheel while sitting still and when using the low speeds physics calculations. (which is 0-7kpm or so IIRC)
The assettocorsa.ini has a value for it iirc that defaults at 3 kph.
As stated above, it's really only while being slower than that.
To your question if the ffb isn't already calculated with some damper: yes of course, but at very slow speeds most algorithms break so you have to use something else. Why code something just for that when you can just grab the driver setting? :)
Leave the ini alone with dfgt/g25/g27 and just apply the level of damper that feels good for you. At higher levels the noise gets really annoying!

The assettocorsa.ini has a value for it iirc that defaults at 3 kph.
I incorrectly believed that was the purpose of that line in the ini also, but was informed (with sources) otherwise not so long ago.

Once you are driving more than a handful of mph there is no difference in the ffb irregardless of what percentage you have it set at in the profiler, is the point I was trying to make.

Thanks guys for explanation.
So it's safe to set Damper Effects since it's it only applied to close to 0 speeds.
As for DAMPER_GAIN still don't know exactly what it does( I guess increase dumper), but I'll set it to 1.0.

@RasmusP
I'm still not quite sure why you recommended setting DAMPER_GAIN=0.0 (when it supposedly only applies to G920)?
It's because my lut induces a little bit if "noise" while standing still and the damper feels a bit strange with it.
Also I only drive online and I need to have my wheel spinning freely when I stop for reaching keyboard (leaning against my wheel when doing it) etc.
When I drive, I drive. When I stand still, I'm doing things and don't need it realistic.

But you are right, maybe I'll add a line to my guides when I can be bothered to edit it another time after about 50 edits :roflmao::)

EDIT: Or to say it simple - that's a personal recommendation for what I like and would suggest to other people :p

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back