RDHCS S9 - Round 2 - 100km (34 laps) - Autdromo dell'Umbria - Tue 25th Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Club Series Season 9 Round 2 – Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

Welcome back to Round 2 of the RDHCS Season 9. Round 1, based on the comments and experiences of several drivers in their reports, was a good opener to the season. It’s difficult to guess what the upcoming season holds for us based on just the one race, especially with the tracks changing so radically from race to race, but I think the GP Strecke established that pretty much all cars can runs with and against pretty much any other car given half a chance. The top 3 were in a different class, but we all know that the 3 in question are always going to be right up top anyway, but then we have 3 or 4 groups coming in very tightly spread (for instance places 10-14 inclusive <5 sec apart) all containing a mixed bag of vehicles. I think this bodes well for the season.

So does the respect and courtesy that I witnessed from drivers in the early corners, and throughout the race. I saw people leaving room on insides and/or outsides of corners as they weren’t sure where people were. One of my pet hates is people apparently picking their line, and then suddenly weaving across to take another line, without any real care of who might be where around them. We all do this for fun, so let’s not spoil the races for ourselves and others by imperviously diving across where and when we want to just because we can’t see anyone at that moment.

Also, there have been some slight changes to the standing rules, so please take the time to read all the way down to the bottom of the briefing.

As is always the case, I aim for contrast between events, so we will trade a wide open F1 venue for a small, short, relatively claustrophobic Club and Motorcycle circuit, and the event with the highest lapcount of the season barring the double length finale.

Moving 550 miles south east we go from the village of Nuerburg to the province of Perugia, specifically the municipality of Magione on the eastern shore of Lake Trasimeno, and the Autodromo dell’Umbria in Italy.

event2.jpg

Circuit Notes

Located in the centre of Italy approximately half way between Rome & Florence, Magione was home to a pilgrim house built in the Middle Ages by the Knights Templar. It was later turned into an abbey and fortified in the 14th century.

The track began life thanks to some local friends who had already formed a racing team – Scuderia Hornbeam – and wanted somewhere to test, practice and race. The track opened in 1973 as the Autodromo di Magione, and was one of the smallest in Italy at just 1.65 km. The beginning of the track was so technically demanding though, that it soon became nationally known, and its central location making it readily accessible. Despite the small size (just 12 pit stalls and starting slots initially) it would regularly hold a full grandstand of nearly 3,000 for events.

Due to some financial difficulties in 1979, Scuderia Hornbeam sold the circuit to a consortium of local Automobile Clubs (Perugia, Terni etc.) and renamed it the Autodromo Dell’Umbria. During the 1980’s, there were some additional layout modifications to allow the already short course to be split down further into smaller layouts to allow karting. In the 1990’s the track was extended to its current 2.5km length, which is what the gentlemen of the RDHCS will be battling upon.

A lap of Magione begins on a relatively short and closely packed S/F straight, and begins that technical opening to the lap. Braking will need to be hard for T1R – Curve Traliccio as it is a fairly slippery hairpin, and the outside of the track is not where you will want to be. Traction is low, and there will be lots of traffic as you try to rejoin.

A short squirt of acceleration before more hard braking into T2L – Curva Vecchi Box. This is a mirror image of Traliccio, another 180 degree hairpin opening onto a short straight. Like T1L, it is again important not to overshoot or get too greedy with these opening turns, as you will lose way more time being aggressive than being slightly circumspect in your approach. Another short squirt of power on the mini straight, followed by another hard braking zone for T3L – Curva Esse Tornatino.

The first non hairpin we approach in the lap, and it’s a tricky 90 degree left hander. It’s taken fairly quickly, but there isn’t any space beyond it to get things right. It isn’t inherently tricky in and of itself, but if you get this one wrong, or get unstable or have to take a compromise line through it because you locked up, you will be in all sorts of pain when you approach T4R – Tornatino.

A very, very tight hairpin, this is right up there with the best patience testing corners. You have to wait, and wait, and wait some more before you can finally get on the power to get out of this one. The corner is so very tight that there will – by necessity – be a variety of lines being taken due to the nature of the cars. I can’t imagine the Alfas will be taking the same sort of line as Neil’s Vette, for instance. Let’s all try and be careful and patient in here.

A very short straight follows Tornatino, and here is the point on the lap that the heavy, powerful cars will have been aching to reach, T5R – Curva Muro. By the standards of the lap up until this point, this is a relatively quick, relatively shallow, relatively fast turn, and more importantly, it opens out onto the back straight. Not hugely long by any means, but in the context of this circuit it’s a moment to take a breath and get your foot down.

All too soon for some cars, you will be needing to brake gently, feather the throttle and drop a gear (or 2) for T6R – Curvone. This is the fastest corner so far, but after the brief respite of the preceding straight, it feels like you are back at work again. Take a nice early turn in and drift across the inner apex, and line the car up under gentle acceleration for the unnamed T7R.

T7R is a curve rather than a corner, and can be attacked without too much fear – as long as you remember that the inner kerbs can upset you, and drifting wide will stick you in the wall. As earlier with Esse Tornatino, you need to get this right because of what follows. T8R – Curva Monte Sperello is another quick corner in the context of this track, a medium speed corner that can be attacked within reason, but also a real sucker punch if you get too carried away with the preceding turns.

Successfully navigating Monte Sperello, it’s a short burst of loud pedal before getting hard on the anchors for the complex that closes the lap, another short and brutally tight set of technical corners that close the lap. T9L – Curva Zampini, T10R – Prima Esse and T11L – Seconda Esse effectively become a 3 legged compound corner, all tight 90 degrees, and all with potentially suspension upsetting inner kerbs. These corners cannot be attacked with impunity, they need to be respected, as do all the drivers going through here. It’s narrow, and visibility because of the 90 degree turns might be misleading, so just try and be aware of what is around you.

Seconda Esse opens out onto the S/F straight, but at less than 50% of the length of the short back straight, it’s a fleeting respite at best before you cross the line and start another lap of Autodromo dell’Umbria.

500px-Autodromo_di_Magione.svg.png

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting. The worst offenders from previous seasons have not signed up, so I hope that this will be a non-issue this season.

Racing Room must be given to all drivers
– and this works both ways. Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved partial overlap fairly.

T1R – Especially on Lap 1. Be aware of people as you turn in here, it has the possibility to cause huge problems if drivers don’t respect each other. Be aware that any incidents caused by reckless or over aggressive driving in Turn 1 during the first lap will be dealt with severely, probably with a “no quali” penalty for Round 2.

T4R – Tornatino. This WILL be tricky. Don’t divebomb the inside of the corner as people won’t see you coming and have nowhere to go, or just drive into you and be surprised. Conversely, don’t plonk your slow moving car across the inside apex and expect no-one to be on the outside of you. If you go in tight, STAY tight. If you go in wide, DON’T dive across to the inside after your apex. There is limited real estate, and no-one has a divine right to be everywhere at once. You made your choice by your entry, so choose one or the other and stick to your guns. Also, if you go off here, you need to rejoin safely. You cannot just dive back onto the racing line whenever you feel like it.

T10R – Prima Esse. The pit entry is on the outside of this tight turn. Be aware of the cones, and if you miss the turn don’t just use the pir entry tarmac to fire your car back onto the track. You will be coming at 90 degrees to people and they will not see you. This is another case of any rejoin being made safely.

All points on the track – General Items
Drivers may put on their lights (and keep them on) during a timed qualification lap, so other drivers know to get out of the way when safe to do so.
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the Race Session.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

There were no reported issues from Round 1

There were no no-shows in Round 1

As a change from last season, and as a result that I am personally reminding you of each race with the new posts and the PM for passwords, 2 no-shows will mean removal from the League, whether they are consecutive or not.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHCS event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHCS.

Reporting Attendance

As GPCOS seems to be down, I will be sending a PM with the round password to all Signed-Up drivers. I will also be running an “Attendance” post. If you are definitely driving, you need to “like” the post. If you are NOT driving (or if you are unsure of attendance) you must post a reply to say so. If there is no response, or if a response is posted after 2 hours before race start time on race day, it will be treated as a No-Show. 2 No-Shows - consecutive or not - will mean removal from the league.

Scoring System

Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

Scary. Low FPS all night, and I even had a freeze in quali and in the race. Luckily, the one in the race was on the finish straight, later in the race, so there was no need to escape.

I liked the track, especially that turn 6-7-8 combination. I could do many different lines, and it was quite enjoyable. Gained some time back there usually. Shame about my poor frame rate, was afraid to slide it around too much.

Don't remember much of the race really, too many laps :D.
Martin spun right in front of me just after he lapped me. Panicked a bit there, but all was well.

Congrats to the podium, and thanks to Stuart, as usual. Bring on the next one :thumbsup:

I had a ball tonight but on replay I can see where I was not letting lappers by me when I should have . No excuse. I was so involved in the driving that I didn't realize that the faster cars were on my tail as quickly as they were. I was mid -pack for a while and then near the very back and forgot that it was a short track. If someone puts in a complaint I fully understand.

Knut, I hope I wasn't out of line too often... I see that I aproached the corner poorly when we touched and I cut back in on you. Sorry and thanks for waiting. Still wondering why you didn't go by me other than if I was toooooo eratic for a pass attempt????

Other than myself, I found all drivers very professional in their efforts. Got a great setup from Warren.. Thanks alot. Cheers Stu, wd Ross, Martin, Dmytro, and Jay... sorry for slowing you guys down.

That was fun, quite hectic on this tight little track, so not much chance to relax in a lap here.
The Skyline felt quite good on this track, the biggest concern for me was how tyre wear would pan out, especially since the left front kept glowing red hot if I pushed a tad harder through the esses. So, I was planning to drive to a strategy that would balance the tyre wear and temps.

Qualy P6, not bad.
Despite the tight sections early, everyone (around me) was very clean and careful as we settled immediately into a longish snake, tightly bunched but all giving the needed room. :thumbsup: Had one very early scare when, on turn 2, Martin's Beemer was stopped on the exit. It turned out to be his ghost, but I avoided it anyway, just. :O_o:.
Spent the early laps behind Jay (with David hot my heels) and could hold on to Jay's tail through the tight stuff, but he had more grunt down the straight. The Beemers looked quick in a straight line.
On lap 6, Dmytro went off letting me through to P4, and I had some fun trying to hold him at bay for a few laps, but I made a couple of little boo boo's as I overheated the tyres (pushing a tad harder than the plan), so when Dmytro gained the draft down the straight, I braked early to let him by. That let me concentrate on my planned pace, allowing me to steadily open the gap behind. Held on for a comfy P5, more than happy with that result.

Being such a short(ish) track, there was the expected lapping of cars to manage, but I must say, everyone I lapped was very good. Jack was the hardest to catch and pass, but only because he was lapping almost at the same pace, I was struggling to catch him, let alone pass him. No problems at all Jack, you didn't hold me up at all, in fact I was surprised to see you back there considering the lap times you were showing me late in the race. ;)

Grats to Ross for a good win, and well done to Martin and Dmytro for the podium. Again, you three were a class act. :notworthy:

Thanks to all for a great clean race, I enjoyed it a lot.
Huge thanks to Stuart for organising, you should be happy with the League so far. :cool:

Sorry for my early leaving, but my left foot is giving me so much pain that I can't stand. I hope I can see a doctor as soon as possible to fix it somehow.

Thanks Carlos for waiting anyway, I am sorry you lost that much time for nothing :(

I lost time cuz I messed up and crashed into you, I would have waited even if I knew you would quit one lap later:thumbsup:.

BTW, huge apologies for crashing into you and anyone else I tapped during my horrid T2 entry where I locked my brakes and slammed into you all. I missed my braking points for T1 AND T2!!! Complete rookie mistake there, not sure what the hell was going through my head at race start. I Qualied 5th just to make a complete ass outta myself and ending up last after my T1 and T2 shananigans.

I did have some fun battling my way back up the grid though, and right when things were going great, my game minimized and I was staring at my desktop! That has NEVER happened before lol. Oh well, I was VERY happy to have finished 8th after my horrible 1st lap. I could even go as far as saying it was undeserved. Thommo deserved it more than I did, poor guy did a great job of catching up to me (after spinning and losing 2 hard earned spots to Jacob and I) and then spun right before getting past me. Probably had something to do with my early braking since my tires were almost completely gone, sorry Thommo.

The car felt great on this tight track after many hours of tweaking and going through so many different setups I lost count. Too bad I almost threw all that hard work away right at the start. Still had crap loads of fun. Kinda hard not to really...GTL and a great bunch of guys to race with...a match made in RD heaven lol.

Thanks to Thommo and Knut for their efforts and to all that showed up tonight.

Grats to Ross and the podium finishers.

Really enjoyable night...up to a point, and great little track. Spent a good few hours trying to set the car up but struggled to get under 1m19s all week. Finally in desperation I created a separate setup for qualifying, really leary and oversteery...and it worked, a 1m18.9. That'll do.:thumbsup:

Got a good start off the line but kept in tidy through T1 and got caught up in some T2 mishaps, still worth a charge. Had a great battle with Hans through the first third of the race and finally put a move on up into T1 (though Hans didn't make it easy!) Great battle and he still didn't let go when I got past:thumbsup:

Pulled away a bit and got embroiled in Jack and Knut's battle, managed to stay ahead of those two for a couple of laps before the leaders started coming round, hope I didn't get in anyones way. Got to around Lap 20 and was thinking I could start to press on as the minor tweaks I'd made to setup had preserved the tyres despite my best efforts. Around then things got a little "floaty." FFB suddenly went slack, everyone seemed to stop and then the dreaded "Connection Lost" message:(

So after turning the air blue for a few minutes I sat down and thought 'that wasn't so bad.'
Thanks to Stuart and Knut for setting up a blinding meeting and everyone who took part for some tight racing.

Off for 10 days holiday now but back in time for Donington, can't wait!!

Knut, I hope I wasn't out of line too often... I see that I aproached the corner poorly when we touched and I cut back in on you. Sorry and thanks for waiting. Still wondering why you didn't go by me other than if I was toooooo eratic for a pass attempt????

Not at all mate, it was all good. But sorry about the tap I gave you there Jack, not sure what happened actually. Don't remember if I tried to pass you, but we had quite similar pace overall so even if I had passed you I doubt I would get away from you.

Not much of a race report from me as I was a bit groggy last night and don't remember that much. My only goal was to finish and was very relieved when I crossed the line!

Well done all, congrats to Ross and podium, and thanks to Stuart for organizing.

Nice little track,the last corner section was fun ! happy with my race all do p17 would not say so, steady race no mistakes good fight with Simon held him up as long as I good but I now he would catch me,going wide in T1 an of was Simon, trying to hold on for a couple of laps but he was faster on the strait :thumbsup:
By that time the frond runners are lapping so have to look out an going out of the way:alien:
Have to make a trip to my engineer ask him for an injection to make the car 1.5 sec faster!

Grats Ross for the win !
Thanks Stu! an all who where there !!:cool:

Excellent race night again folks :) ! I had a blast all race long.
In fact, I had so much fun that I stayed up really late afterwards and watched almost the entire race replay once again! Smiling! ( yeah I know, I'm weird..:geek: )
And I think Stuart an Knut should be proud for coming up with such a mixed yet so equal field of cars, and they're not quite TC-65! :thumbsup:

That is probably why I feel these races are over really really quick, much quicker than I remember from last season. Sure these are faster cars, thus can do 100 km in less time, but still.. well I don't know.

Did anyone else beside Senad notice FPS issues on this track? My framerate was >20% lower than on other tracks, and even dropping below 25 FPS when hitting an array of cones (even with the 'fixed' 1.04 version):O_o:

Didn't stop me from having fun though, in all sessions. And my Pantera was doing quite well on this tight track, too. Even managed a 1:16.xxx in qualy, albeit in a really light car, which got me P9 on the grid.
A good start got me up to 7th, and I managed to hang on to that a lot longer than last time. My car was feeling really great, tire wear really wasn't bad at all. It's just I must have frustrated some people behind me:mad: , who could brake so much later than me, but because of the tight racing line and the wide Pantera tail in front just could not get past.. and if they tried, my cars grunt when coming out of the corners granted me just enough breathing space to be safe again when I had to start braking for the next corner. Saved me every time...:p

Only a few laps into the race, cars #1 to #6 were way out of sight already, while a train of cars #8 to #14 or so behind me all fitted in my mirror. :D
Just like you'd expect in a real life race on a track like this, there were some friendly pads on the back, my car held itself beautifully, and I finished the race in 13th. But much more important, I never had a dull moment all race long. Non-stop action from lap 1 to lap 34!.
So THANK YOU everyone, it was awesome.. Grats to the :alien::alien::alien: on the podium, and bring on the next one!

I put my screenshots from this one HERE

Interesting track last night, the skyline was super-difficult to manage around here, especially in the third sector, where the BMWs seemed very good. Did a good qualie lap and had a decent start and had to really push in the first 5 laps to stay ahead of Martin, and the gap was very close up until lap 14, whereupon i think he made an error which gave me just enough space to relax and put in some good laps.

Well done Dmytro & Martin, and cheers Thommo & Knut for running the show!

p.s.- i noticed a touch of lag on Martin's car at turn 2. In my rear-view mirror it looked as though he'd spun out, that was until he suddenly appeared on my back bumper at the next turn! Also, if you hit the cones on the exit of the final turn there was a noticeable drop in FPS, even on my relatively beefy PC.

Qualied seventh... ended race at seventh....end of story. ;)

No that's to easy

Had a decent start, everybody went well through the first corner and then bumped into Martin Vrba car in turn 2, which was just standing there but also still driving in second place a 100metres ahead....?????? weird :confused: (you should watch the replay and follow him y'll see...)
Then after 2 laps Neil passed me on the straight in his blasting Corvette.:confused:
On the straight you can't hold him but in the esses you have too push him :D
Unluckily he went off in a battle together whith Roland and that left me a clear way with Stuart on my tail. Then had a good battle with Stuart untill i got wide and he passed me.
Got back and raced close behind him and then he made a mistake.
Driving around on seventh place nr. 6 David was 15 seconds ahead, no way to get near.
Behind me Carlos was coming up and I became worried about my tires. This track was eating my left front tyre:confused: Tried not think about the condition of my tyres and pushed on. So i ended the race seventh place :)
Congrats to Ross and rest of podium and thx to everyone and see you all next race!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back