RD Rally Club - Slow and steady wins the rally - H1 FWD @ Acropolis - 13th to 18th Mar 2024

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
rQ7Tfnp.jpeg

Screenshot and livery by @Mengodriom can be found here
PS: ALL MODDING ON OWN RISK. THERE IS NO CONFIRMATION THAT YOU WON'T GET ONLINE BAN FROM CUSTOM LIVERIES!
Following our crazy asphalt-rally with the Rear Wheel Drive Monsters from the Gr.B-era. We will do something completely different. The entry level of all entry levels. The old cars. The H1 FWD, and we will do it in twisty, bumpy, hot and challenging Greece. Sorry, not sorry! There will only be 5 stages though, I am not completely evil.

Session Open: 13th of March 01:03GMT to 18th of March 01:03GMT
Cars: H1 FWD
Itinerary:
Shakedown & 45 Min Service
SS1:
Parnassos - Sunrise - Part Cloud (Wet) - 5.6km
SS2: Bauxites - Morning - Clear - 5.6km
Service - 45 Min
SS3
: Drosochori - Morning - Clear - 8.7km
SS4: Amfissa - Afternoon - Clear - 8.7km
Service - 45 Min
SS5:
Gravia - Dusk - Celar - 24.6km

Assists & Tuning: Allowed
Hardcore Damage: On!

Have fun! :D

To participate in the event, you must join our WRC-game Rally Club.
You can also read more about the Rally Club here.

some of us have started on the Greece rally already, great fun in the small cars. Picked the Vauxhall, never played it before. The old rule for underpowered cars: keep the momentum! applies big time here, especially around the hairpins. Very close battle for stage 03 atm, lost out by a hair's breadth because I misheard a call and nearly ran into the marshalls:
q47nyP3.png

qpWYTAi.png

I took the liberty of quoting you post from the other thread @Eckhart von Glan but posting the answer here! :p
I guess the marshals should consider themselves lucky we are driving H1 FWD and not Gr.B 4WD then? :D

I took the liberty of quoting you post from the other thread @Eckhart von Glan but posting the answer here! :p
I guess the marshals should consider themselves lucky we are driving H1 FWD and not Gr.B 4WD then? :D
oh, thx for moving this post!
yes, indeed, in anything larger they would have been toast (or schnitzel). I just passed the spot again towards the end of the final long stage, and I nearly got it wrong again, seems like the call is indeed a bit weak or can be misinterpreted.

Last edited:
oh, thx for moving this post!
yes, indeed, in anything larger they would have been toast (or schnitzel). I just passed the spot again towards the end of the final long stage, and I nearly got it wrong again, seems like the call is indeed a bit weak or can be misinterpreted.

It's Acropolis, so maybe they'd even become a Gyros? (and that made me hungry. There is no food on earth as lovely as a proper, perfect, Gyros.)

tackled the final stages yesterday, had a blast, nearly went off once but a boulder in a ditch someone dutifully modelled at Codies HQ pushed my Corsa back on the road even though it was a close close call just 30 secs into the final stage. That stage was really demanding physically as the close hairpins, at least on my wheel, force you to do some absurd gymnastics if you are not a master of the flick, which I found difficult to do in these FWD cars. Super fun, and for a couple of hours probably, I was even on the overall podium, tadaa!

greece01.jpg

greece02.jpg

Not sure how to feel about this one.
All was set to be a trouble-free run, but by SS3 I did the basic mistake of trying to hold grip/momentum with dear life, refusing ease off, and ended up crashing into the (useless) mid-last sector WRC sponsor gate. Instant car halt and time loss, broken radiator, wrecked exhaust.
Clipboard_03-16-2024_01.png
Caused me to start SS4 (fast hillclimb stage) with power loss, and denied me a final SS5 run with all possible power on wheels (repair time). Being a >20m stage at Dusk, still brought a spare, as it's easy to get a puncture just by hitting a low stone wall after an optimistic cut.

As I even struggled to beat AMK613 on a Fulvia at SS1 (prob. the stage that favors it less) under perfect conditions, I haven't much chance to keep a top spot after the results of that mistake.

GL all, ...and don't cut!

Last edited:
Hats off for a successful time table hillclimb.
TIL about the inspect mechanic. Never checked/made use of it before, and it'd have helped countless times. :unsure:
Cheers

Hats off for a successful time table hillclimb.
TIL about the inspect mechanic. Never checked/made use of it before, and it'd have helped countless times. :unsure:
Cheers

I just randomly saw the "inspect" down right, and had to check what the heck that did. Didn't now it took some time to do (though, it makes sense). So that was interesting.

It was a fun rally, but I am unsure if I will use fully manual clutch forward. Not sure if it is me not being properly in shape or if it just is too hectic! haha :)

Yeah, always noticed the "inspect time", but just never happened to try it. If used, I'd be able to replace the heavy damaged exhaust instead of a std fix. Might as well avoided leaving the gearbox unrepaired for the final stage -- so, quite happy knowing this new tool.

I have to use "Manual Override" (+manual seq.) which is same as auto clutch on a pad, but allowing to tap a button for override as a temp clutch kick (but you'd have your pedal/axis when set in this mode), much needed for laggy turbos. This variant or plain auto-clutch should produce slower shifting time than fully manual on H pattern cars, so to not give an unfair advantage.
If you can get used to this game's full manual quirks, it should be well worth it to use that to advantage. H3 RWD should be a good test to work it out :thumbsup:

Auto-clutch didn't work great on this event, as I had to tap the override button often when the engine bogged down uphill, because auto-clutch was often releasing clutch too abruptly into 1st gear out of hairpins, instead of helping the engine for a bit longer. That was even with final ratio at a very low 1.25 to push 5th gear a couple of times. But in hindsight, the all the extra shifting (+under auto clutch) could have costed me extra time.
I also did a weird move and risked softs>no change>softs. Not sure if it paid off due to the accident on SS3. Anyway, this and the above, or going spareless, wouldn't alone close the current gap to 1st. So, see you on the next one!

Last edited:
thx for mentioning that inspect bit, never even noticed it but remember it from earlier Codies games
also: congrats Ole on this handsome win. myself finished in top ten, haven't had that for a long time, slow car = boomer quality :)

Last edited:
thx for mentioning that inspect bit, never even noticed it but remember it from earlier Codies games
also: congrats Ole on this handsome win. myself finished in top ten, haven't had that for a long time, slow car = boomer quality :)

Thanks. But with my driving style in this rally, I guess the name "slow and steady wins the rally" was a bit wrong... :x3:

Remember it from earlier Codies games?? Whaat? I've never noticed it in any games before now. Haha!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.