RD Le Mans Series Season 4 (rFactor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After not having visited this forum for quite some time I did some catching up in this and last year's thread. As far as I can see, nothing new has materialized here, which is a shame considering the nice season we had here.

In short I also think it would be a mistake to wait for rFactor 2, especially since nobody knows yet if it will have improved endurance racing features. As far as I'm aware, nothing has been announced yet.

I do wanted to point your attention to last weekend's 24 hour race at sim-racing.org where we actually used some software I developed to run the whole race in a practice session (as discussed on this forum some time ago, but back then there seemed little interest, see http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...s-series-2010-2011.16223/page-132#post-626097 ). Whilst still not perfect, this allowed teams to rejoin the event and continue the race. We actually built in a 10 minute time penalty to avoid misuse of this feature (simulating what would be a fairly big repair job), but allowing people after that period to resume the race.

Until further notice, loukoumoui, it seems they have decided to wait for rFactor 2 before running another Le Mans Series endurance league. My guess is that it will take a while for rFactor 2 to be ready. Current builds have driver swaps disabled completely and ISI have announced that we should expect them not to be available in the initial release. To be able to run long endurance races we furthermore need two other features:
  1. A capability to rejoin the race if a driver has somehow lost connection (PC crash, network glitch, etc.). This has been announced.
  2. A capability to either regularly save the standings on the server and resume from a save point after it has crashed or, even better, some way to redundantly run a race on more than one server so you can have a "failover" mechanism in case one server crashes. None of this has been announced.
So I'm not sure that rFactor 2 will solve all issues for endurance races without further development within the community any time soon.
Also, we still need to wait for content to become available, as currently we have neither the track(s) nor the cars.

Agreed, having driver swaps back in 2013 will take rFactor 2 to the same level as rFactor 1 feature wise. I am assuming that when they bring this feature back this time, it won't be as buggy and experimental as it was in rFactor 1 (where it probably never was officially supported).

It would still mean that, with no rejoin or save capability, we would be running endurance races in a practice session just like we do successfully now, but at least it means we can start enjoying rFactor 2. My take on it is that realistically it will still be 2014 before everything (cars, tracks and sim) is ready for it, so we might want to consider our options for 2013. The good news: we have options! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.8%